Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

Postby Ruprict36 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:36 pm

I picked up my CPX-2 a couple days ago. I shot one mag through it and took it apart for cleaning and inspection. My mag release also fell out. I am curious to hear what they do to fix it.
Ruprict36

Postby getvicious » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:54 am

Ruprict36 - Howdy and welcome from NC.

I almost wonder if one of the assemblers is not placing the right side of the spring into the slot.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:47 am

I'm wondering if they made the spring shorter to save money, or increase tension, and now it has more room to move up and out of the hole in the mag release. It appears that the sole purpose of the little hooked end is to dig into the grip frame and keep the spring from sliding. Apparently, under recoil, this is not enough on some pistols.
Orangedotfever

Postby Ruprict36 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks for the welcome. Mine was in its slot. After reinstalling the release and sliding the spring down I worked the release severs times and watched as the spring slid up. I knocked the gun a few time like simulated recoil and it disengaged the release sliding up further. Seems a notch or divot for the bend end to seat in a little would be the fix. The plastic in the slot is getting chewed up a little from the sharp end so perhaps at some point it would catch and seat itself.
Ruprict36

Postby Orangedotfever » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Got my UPS email saying that SCCY has initiated shipment of my CPX-2 back to me. Supposed to arrive on Tuesday. Hope it's fixed and will update my findings. :D
Orangedotfever

Postby tnlawndart » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:43 am

Ditto here. Whatever the "fix", it was a quick turnaround.
tnlawndart

Postby Orangedotfever » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:08 pm

UPS just dropped off my CPX-2 from it's return for repair. I have no idea what they have done to it other than it has been fired and well lubricated. There was a note in the box saying that it had been serviced by a SCCY technician and that they will be releasing the new 380 pistol soon. No other information was given.

It appears that, perhaps, the magazine release spring might have been replaced. It's impossible for me to confirm this. Since this pistol has never failed to feed, fire, cycle or lock open, I am sure that it will still do this well. Only time will tell if the magazine release stays in. Right now it's pouring down rain and I'm not going out to test it.

UPS picked this up last Tuesday and delivered it back today, Tuesday March 1st. Very good turn around time and zero cost to me. Time will have to be the final judge on this one. I will update at my first opportunity.
Orangedotfever

Postby tnlawndart » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:53 pm

It appears my role in this thread is "Me too".

Got it back today, no obvious signs of repair/change. I'll give them 5 stars on turn-around since it was in their hands for only 3 1/2 days.

Me too +1 for range report later.

-c
tnlawndart

Postby Orangedotfever » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Stepped outside today and ran 3 mags through my returned CPX-2. A mix of 115gr Wolf black box and Remington UMC, some 147gr D&S and some old 130gr Sierra FMJ reloads from 1997 that I had loaded to +P in some rough range brass for use in my SMG. Had 2 failures but only with the old scruffy reloads. One round did not fully chamber and the other did not extract. I'm not surprised as these loads were not meant for anything but burning through in full auto. Everything seems fine with the pistol. It fed everything I expected it to, cycled fine and locked back every time. The mag release spring appears to be staying right were it should. So far so good.
Orangedotfever

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:14 pm

Orangedotfever - Can you see anything different between the mag release spring you sent to SCCY and the spring in your pistol now?
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Orangedotfever » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:48 pm

getvicious wrote:Orangedotfever - Can you see anything different between the mag release spring you sent to SCCY and the spring in your pistol now?

The spring now seems to be more "square" in the slots. Kind of like it's properly seated now instead of slightly cocked up on one side. I had pushed the original spring down as far as possible initially and it was properly in the slots but it always seemed to be slightly higher on the hook side. Hope to put more rounds through it now that I can start working up a practice load for it.
Orangedotfever

Postby tnlawndart » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Not so much luck for me. Fourth mag and the release fell out again. I got it back in as before, went through about 90 more rounds. Had one occasion where the slide didn't completely close and felt a lot of looseness in the magazines. Otherwise, all rounds chambered and ejected properly. Finally called it quits after the release fell out again. Very disappointed and will contact SCCY tomorrow.
tnlawndart

Postby Orangedotfever » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:50 pm

Keep us updated on what they say tnlawndart. I ran 3 more mags through mine today between showers and had no problems. Good Luck.
Orangedotfever

Postby OldNorthState » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:22 pm

parkerd wrote:Buy stock in UPS

lol... good 'un!!...lol... you never fail to amuse with the dry humor...lol...

How are you doing... I haven't been here in a while, saw you here and just saying "hello"....

OldNorthState
"Capt. Redlegs Terrell and five men against Josey Wales... heh, heh, heh... "
OldNorthState

Postby Woody » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:48 pm

I have the same issue with my new SCCY CPX-2. Bought it new 5 weeks ago. In my 2nd outing with it, the magazine release button fell out. I was able to push the spring clip back down into the hole in the top of the release button. I checked the spring again after firing a couple more magazines and the spring clip looked like it was sliding upward again. It seems like the hook side of the spring should snap into a hole to hold it down and in place, but apparently there is no hole. I think this would be an obvious improvement and a fix to this problem. Anyway, SCCY sent me the UPS label and I'm sending it out Monday for "servicing". Hopefully they know the root cause of the problem and are able to fix it so it doesn't happen again.
Reach for the SCCY!!
Woody

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion