Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Anyone else have their mag release fall out?

Postby tnlawndart » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:56 pm

Received the gun back on Tuesday. Called SCCY about the fix and was told the grip was replaced. Other than symptoms, I still have no clue what the ailment is/was. I hope to get out with it this week to see if it is really fixed. I certainly won't carry it until it has proven flawless on the range.
tnlawndart

Postby jdbinco » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:39 pm

I just returned from the range first time firing my SCCY CPX2, first mag ran through great. 5 rounds into the second mag the mag fell out along with the magazine release. Got home and call SCCY and Charlie said they had some with a bad magazine release spring. He sent me a shipping label and a service warranty form not 5 minutes after getting off the phone with him. Bad to have the gun fail after 15 rounds but what a great response from the company to get it taken care of.
Thanks Charlie
jdbinco

Postby rogertc1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:04 am

I've a early Gen 2. I did notice the mag release spring is smaller and has a little end that sticks out further. the recent red and white one the spring is bigger. I did not remove however. Per haps a dab of glue will hold them in place. Would be easy to do,
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby Woody » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:48 pm

I received my CPX-2 back from SCCY service about a week after sending it in. I cannot tell what they did to fix the magazine release spring and there was no information other than it was serviced and test fired. I was able to fire through 60 rounds with no problems - so inserting and releasing the magazine 6 times. I popped the magazine in and out about 10 times prior to shooting just to test it out. I am, however, pushing the magazine in gently until it clicks into place. After reading other posts about the release button failing even after SCCY "serviced" it, I am still not confident that the issue will not happen again to mine. Time will tell.
Reach for the SCCY!!
Woody

Postby angelo22 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:58 pm

I just bought my CPX-2 brand new at Academy two days ago from this post. I went to an indoor range today and was very happy to see the first 20 rounds go through flawlessly...until I loaded up the third mag, that's when the mag release came lose. I manage to put the spring back in the tiny hole, but I was only able to go through another 20 rounds before that same problem happened again. I will be contacting SCCY next week to get it fixed like many of you suggested.
angelo22

Postby robho40 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:47 pm

I lost the mag catch spring at my firing area (desert) a week ago and didn't notice until I got home, cleaned the pistol and then the magazine catch fell out.
Then I noticed the spring was missing!
Anyhow I contacted SCCY, told them the problem, and said I could replace myself if they sent me the spring and basic instructions.
Their agent told me the spring could not be mailed to me directlly but had to go to a dealer!!
WTF!!
I told her the spring has no serial number and the feds don't care about it but she said management dictated this little dime spring has to be sent to a dealer.
She also said she had no directions for installing it.

CRAZY bureaucracy at SCCY.
I wouldn't mind so much if I had a nearby dealer but the nearest dealer is 20 miles away and I don't want to drive there and back for a crummy dime spring.
I'm thinking now maybe I will just send it to SCCY at their expense and have them fix it. It will cost them a lot more to do this as opposed to my fixing it but that's bureaucracy for you!

Any thoughts?
robho40

Postby FastEddie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:37 pm

I am a bit of newbie, but have gone back and read a lost of previous posts.
It seems SCCY is often clueless about the business side of the gun business. I don't know if they still are, but for a long time they told customers they could mail there firearm in through US Post Office and even sent them a USPS label. Sometimes they send you parts, sometimes they make you send in your whole piece for a minor thing. They have had a number of defects like the mags and the recoil spring going on for years and still not fixed. The advertise the CPX3 for years and it still isn't available to the general public, despite a number of announcements that it had been shipped and available.
I really think they need to clean up these missteps if they want to survive long term. They can't ship you a tiny spring, but they send me two mags right to my doorstep.

On a more positive personal note got a few black friday gun deals. Remington R51 for $160 after rebate and a RM 380 got $120 after rebate. I know there are mixed reviews on them, but couldn't pass up the price. Took the R51 to the range already and pretty pleased. :D
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:08 am

robho40 wrote:I lost the mag catch spring at my firing area (desert) a week ago and didn't notice until I got home, cleaned the pistol and then the magazine catch fell out.
Then I noticed the spring was missing!
Anyhow I contacted SCCY, told them the problem, and said I could replace myself if they sent me the spring and basic instructions.
Their agent told me the spring could not be mailed to me directlly but had to go to a dealer!!
WTF!!
I told her the spring has no serial number and the feds don't care about it but she said management dictated this little dime spring has to be sent to a dealer.
She also said she had no directions for installing it.

CRAZY bureaucracy at SCCY.
I wouldn't mind so much if I had a nearby dealer but the nearest dealer is 20 miles away and I don't want to drive there and back for a crummy dime spring.
I'm thinking now maybe I will just send it to SCCY at their expense and have them fix it. It will cost them a lot more to do this as opposed to my fixing it but that's bureaucracy for you!

Any thoughts?

SCCY changed the way they ship parts a while ago. They now will ship some directly to the user (they shipped me new recoil rod assemblies) but other parts they will only ship to a FFL (they would only ship my replacement ejector to a FFL). Makes no sense from a legal standpoint but it's their current policy.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby robho40 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:11 pm

:shock:

I just got the UPS labels and info from SCCY for returning the pistol for warranty service.
I just investigated the cost....it is ridiculous. I would have to ship the pistol by UPS next day air service for probably $60 plus drive it out to a UPS shipping center town which is a 2 hour RT travel time!
Crazy! My local FFL dealer will charge $40 for shipping it to SCCY.
I am not doing this to have a damn $0.10 spring replaced :shock:

My best bet, since SCCY has a nutty policy of not shipping a $0.10 spring to me directly, is to take it to a local gunsmith who can probably fix it for $20.
I have no recourse but to thoroughly condemn SCCY warranty service.

I like the gun but SCCY support stinks!

Bob
robho40

Postby wrench459 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm

On my 9mm carbine I've got to push the release button then physically remove the mag. :kickback:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:04 am

robho40 wrote:I just got the UPS labels and info from SCCY for returning the pistol for warranty service.
I just investigated the cost....it is ridiculous. I would have to ship the pistol by UPS next day air service for probably $60 plus drive it out to a UPS shipping center town which is a 2 hour RT travel time!

My best bet, since SCCY has a nutty policy of not shipping a $0.10 spring to me directly, is to take it to a local gunsmith who can probably fix it for $20.

Bob

Several forum members here have successfully arranged for UPS to pickup their SCCY package at their home.
The entire warranty repair service is normally free of any charges ... not $60, not $40, not $20, not even $0.10.
Visit the UPS website, or call their 800 number, to arrange free pickup & delivery using the SCCY UPS label. hth
Last edited by economod on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby usturbine » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

robho40 wrote::shock:

I just got the UPS labels and info from SCCY for returning the pistol for warranty service.

Bob

I called SCCY a couple weeks ago and asked about a new trigger bar and spring and a crack in the lower hsg near the rear rollpin on a used CPX2 I payed $140 for? They asked for the S/N and sent me a prepaid Fedex label!! They received it Dec4 and I had it back in hand Dec 7 with what looks like a complete new gun!! Cant ask for better service than that!!!

Dennis
usturbine

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion