Sccy cpx-2 break in?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Sccy cpx-2 break in?

Postby EvilE » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:47 am

Hi, I'm new here and new to sccy firearms. I have not shot mine yet, how much break in do they need?
I loaded it with federal hst 124gr., it doesn't want to chamber it!?
When I try to chamber it, it jams. I was gonna start carrying it, but not if its defense ammo picky.
EvilE

Re: Sccy cpx-2 break in?

Postby getvicious » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:34 am

Jams as in just doesn't quite go into battery or something else?

You might polish the feed ramp and place a Small Drop of oil on the feed ramp prior to trying to load it. Be sure to clean / lube it before use if you haven't yet.

I polish the feed ramp on every pistol I buy when I do the initial take down and cleaning / lube before I shoot it.

Depending on how I load my CPX it doesn't always go into battery itself (sometimes I baby it). I just tap the rear of the slide to pop it into battery.

Clean / lube yours and pop it into battery (if you have to) then shoot it. It's an issue if it won't go into battery while your shooting it. It's not necessarily an issue if it won't go into battery when loading it.

Call SCCY if you still have doubts after you shoot it.

To your question about break-in - because I polished the feed ramp (I assume) and did a good cleaning / lube before I first fired mine, I have had no noticeable break-in period. Mine shot just fine the first time.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby EvilE » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:46 am

Thanks for the response!
Yes I did a quick clean and lube on it before trying to chamber a round. I did not polish the feed ramp.
That's kind of crappy if they need that out of the box to function correctly! (Feed ramp polishing)
I was hoping to start carrying it right off the bat. But not if it won't chamber my defense rounds.
I've ever had a 9mm not chamber a federal HST. This is strange.
EvilE

Postby Pony Soldier » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:34 am

With the slide open, use your thumb to disengage the slide release and see if that fully chambers the round. The owners manuel suggests doing this.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby Orangedotfever » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:04 am

Never, never, ever just start carrying a new pistol with your favorite self defense ammo without testing the actual function in that particular firearm. What is you life truly worth? Surely more than the price of one box of premium ammo. My old carry pistol, a Para Ordinance P12, would feed everything I put in it EXCEPT Speer Gold Dots. Glad I function tested them or I might have had a single shot defense gun in an emergency situation.
Orangedotfever

Postby tripleb » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:59 pm

EvilE wrote:Hi, I'm new here and new to sccy firearms. I have not shot mine yet, how much break in do they need?
I loaded it with federal hst 124gr., it doesn't want to chamber it!?
When I try to chamber it, it jams. I was gonna start carrying it, but not if its defense ammo picky.

EvilE, use the slide lock/release lever to chamber the round. Once you have a few boxes through her, you can rack the slide to chamber a round. BTW, as has been stated, always range test a new handgun before relying on it for self defense. I will usually put 100 rounds of FMJ and a magazine of self defense ammo through a new pistol before I call it reliable.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby EvilE » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks guys-- good points. I'll go break her in and deem her reliable before I truck gun her.
EvilE

Postby EvilE » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:34 pm

So a ramp polishing isn't necessary? Just run 100-200 range ammo, and you all think it'll feed properly
EvilE

Postby TomVA » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:42 am

Many have experienced feeding problems when sling-shotting the slide. The owners manual recommends chambering the first round by using the slide release lever. Mine never fails by this method.

I just bought some Federal HST 124 gr JHP ammo and ran 60 rounds through my CPX-2. Had just one failure to feed. I have now cleaned it well, polished the ramp and lubed it, so I'll see how it does on the next outing.

TomVA
Last edited by TomVA on Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TomVA

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 pm

EvilE wrote:So a ramp polishing isn't necessary? Just run 100-200 range ammo, and you all think it'll feed properly

No, that's just one of the standard things you can do to help eliminate feeding issues.

I, personally, like a nice mirror surfaced feed ramp so I do it to all my pistols.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby guysr1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:14 pm

Notices on this forum that you should chamber the first round with the slide release? Just purchase a SCCY CPX2 and I can't get to make the slide
release work. Only way I can chamber a round is pull the slide back and then the slide release can be pushed down? Not just me all my buddies can't
do it with my pistol either .. Problem with pistol or just has to break in
Thanks for any replies...
guysr1
guysr1

Postby EvilE » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:20 pm

I polished the feed ramp. Gonna put it through break in Sunday!
Plan on putting 100-200 rounds through it
EvilE

Postby EvilE » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Put 110 rounds through her today, no issues!
I don't care for that long trigger pull, but the gun itself functioned flawlessly
EvilE

Postby sand1303 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:02 pm

shot my sccy right out of the box and didn't clean it till after a couple hundred rounds. i must have over 500 rounds in now and i have never once had any kind of malfunction.
sand1303
Forum Regular

Postby EvilE » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

TomVA wrote:Many have experienced feeding problems when sling-shotting the slide. The owners manual recommends chambering the first round by using the slide release lever. Mine never fails by this method.

I just bought some Federal HST 124 gr JHP ammo and ran 60 rounds through my CPX-2. Had just one failure to feed. I have now cleaned it well, polished the ramp and lubed it, so I'll see how it does on the next outing.

TomVA

So have you tried again?
EvilE

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion