Grip too wide

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Grip too wide

Postby nunnhn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help with this issue.

I just got a SCCY CPX-1. I'm a female, very petite. 4'10 actually. So obviously my hands are very small. However, I chose the CPX-1 because it felt better in hand to me.

But today I took a concealed carry class. I wasn't as accurate as normal but I still did fine. My instructor was adamant that it was because my thumb and index finger dont touch on the left side of my grip.

That really offended me. I spent my hard earned money on this gun, and I did my homework. This was only the second time I've gotten to shoot my gun. Including today, I've put 58 shots through it.

He made me pick up a S&W Shield. I shot much better with it, which is making me think the grip really is an issue. But I've shot large .357 revolvers just fine. Maybe I just need more time with my gun. Its just making me doubt myself.

I was also wondering if anyone knows anything about grip reductions, if this is the case. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy did some of that. Maybe that would help me. But I'm worried that something like this would void my warranty, even if I got a different frame like the guy in the video.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
nunnhn

Re: Grip too wide

Postby nunnhn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:15 pm

This how my grip is looking as of now. Of course I shoot with my left hand as my support hand.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
nunnhn

Postby depletedyourcranium » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:34 pm

While the circumference of the grip on the SCCY is larger than most pistols in its class it's still not abnormally large. I've also not heard the idea that a shooters thumb and finger should be able to touch... most hands with most pistols normally dont.

Don't start to doubt yourself. I suspect the reason you shot the shield better than the SCCY is simply because it has a better trigger. Unless you're constantly adjusting your grip between shots with the SCCY, I dont believe the size will be an ongoing issue with you.

Practice will make you more consistent. I suggest getting some snap caps and do some dry firing practice. It will save you money on ammo and time spent at the range. It will also get you tuned into the trigger and eliminate any anticipation or flinch.

I've been thinking about a grip reduction on my own CPX2 whenever SCCY starts selling separate grip frames. With the way it's designed you won't be able to go much smaller, but with things like grip ergonomics small adjustments can make a big difference.
depletedyourcranium

Postby faulty_wiring_ » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:34 am

Stupid me for being so shocked at how small your hands are after you already mentioned being 4'10. Anyway, how much of your index finger do you get on the trigger? Did your thumb and index touch using the Shield?
faulty_wiring_

Postby arcus10mm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:38 am

nunnhn wrote:Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help with this issue.

I just got a SCCY CPX-1. I'm a female, very petite. 4'10 actually. So obviously my hands are very small. However, I chose the CPX-1 because it felt better in hand to me.

But today I took a concealed carry class. I wasn't as accurate as normal but I still did fine. My instructor was adamant that it was because my thumb and index finger dont touch on the left side of my grip.

That really offended me. I spent my hard earned money on this gun, and I did my homework. This was only the second time I've gotten to shoot my gun. Including today, I've put 58 shots through it.

He made me pick up a S&W Shield. I shot much better with it, which is making me think the grip really is an issue. But I've shot large .357 revolvers just fine. Maybe I just need more time with my gun. Its just making me doubt myself.

I was also wondering if anyone knows anything about grip reductions, if this is the case. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy did some of that. Maybe that would help me. But I'm worried that something like this would void my warranty, even if I got a different frame like the guy in the video.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
single stack 9mm glock 43--sw shield- kahr cw9...............
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby DaveM » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi there Nunnhn. First, don't get discouraged. There are growing pains with every new firearm. One size does not fit all, and some just seem to hold you rather than you it. While it is true that being able to get the best grip possible is always beneficial, it isn't everything. I believe the trigger is the first thing I would suspect. The DAO trigger of the SCCY and the, I believe, striker-fire trigger of the Shield are two totally different worlds. So too are the double stack magazines and therefore grip of the SCCY and the single stack/grip of the Shield. The weapons are two entirely different beasts that will handle and shoot differently.

Being able to shoot with a revolver grip is not really relevant as there are no rounds in its grip to affect how it holds. I would not mess around with doing any home grip reducing. It could damage the weapon and, yes, it could mess up your warranty. I also don't think it would solve your issue. It seems to me that some alone time with dry firing in your home and a good amount of time at the range will be the most beneficial to you. I'm no expert on the matter of course, just a fellow shooter who has had my own fair share of "Is it me or the gun?" frustrations. Don't give up on the little fellow/lady, just take her/him to the range and get to know each other. It may very well be that it isn't the best gun for you. If it isn't, well, you won't be the first person to find out after the fact instead of before. I'm a member of that club myself. Hang in there :)
DaveM

Postby arcus10mm » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:25 pm

can your finger reach the trigger??
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:35 am

My instructor was adamant that it was because my thumb and index finger dont touch on the left side of my grip.

That's an interesting statement. I call shenanigans on that.

I don't know of anyone who's thumb and index finger touch when holding a semi-auto pistol, unless they're shooting some micro pistol like a JA22 or Ruger LCP.

Can you hold and fire your CPX?
Can you operate all the controls?
Can you reach the trigger and pull it?
Can you control the pistol as you fire it?
Can you handle the recoil?
Do you like the way it feels in your hand?

If the answer to these questions is "yes" then your CPX is a good pistol for you. I would bet the reason you weren't as accurate as normal was the stress of being watched as you fired your pistol in class. Or perhaps you just need more work to master the l o n g DAO trigger.

If you still like your CPX after now having fired several rounds thru the pistol, I would recommend keeping your CPX.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby arcus10mm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 am

709.jpg
Taurus Slim 9mm(PT-709)
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby arcus10mm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:39 am

Grip, one of the fundamentals of marksmanship, is a determining factor in your ability to shoot, operate and control your handgun. Since grip is the interface between you and your gun, it’s important to select a handgun that fits your hand properly. A gun’s weight and caliber are also important considerations. One thing is certain. When it comes to defensive handguns, one size does not fit all
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Check out what this guy did to his CPX. He removed the recoil cushion which made the grip a lot smaller. Probably removed 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from the back of the grip.
http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16607&p=44187&hilit=recoil+cushion#p44187
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby arcus10mm » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:22 pm

getvicious wrote:Check out what this guy did to his CPX. He removed the recoil cushion which made the grip a lot smaller. Probably removed 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from the back of the grip.
http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16607&p=44187&hilit=recoil+cushion#p44187
i suspect there would be more custom/bubba/improvement work if we could get parts
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby rogertc1 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:35 am

Perhaps you hand is too small?
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby arcus10mm » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:19 am

Regardless of what recommendations we make here, everyone interested in obtaining a handgun for self defense should experiment with several different handguns before purchasing one. See what fits your hand the best, experiment with manipulating the controls on each handgun, and see how they shoot (if possible). Everyone has different needs and what works for one person may not work for you. If you’re going to be trusting your life to a handgun, make certain that it is the right one for you before you commit to it
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby randy27 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:29 am

I would get some more range time in before you do anything. Get use to your gun.
Randy Army Infantry 81to 90
randy27
Forum Regular

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion