cases bulging

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

cases bulging

Postby ndnchf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:07 pm

I was looking at the fired brass from my CPX-2 and noticed a bulge in the cases that corresponds with the area of the barrel relieved for the feed ramp. Is this normal, or was my ramp relieved too much? Is see this on factory Fiocchi and comercial reloads. All feed, eject and fire fine.
Attachments
IMG_20160326_135541_edit.jpg
Case2.jpg
ndnchf
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby ndnchf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:16 pm

I think I answered my own question. Upon closer examination of the chamber with a good light, I see a cut that corresponds to the area of the bulge. It's hard to photograph, but this shows it.
Attachments
IMG_20160326_141218_edit.jpg
ndnchf
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby getvicious » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:03 pm

Wow, sounds like you need to call SCCY about a new barrel. :shock:
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby ndnchf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:43 pm

I emailed the photos and description to them a little while ago, then called and left a message. Of course they are closed now. Hopefully they will get back to me on Monday.
ndnchf
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby getvicious » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

ndnchf wrote:I emailed the photos and description to them a little while ago, then called and left a message. Of course they are closed now. Hopefully they will get back to me on Monday.

I recommend you call SCCY Monday morning. Emails alone sometimes get missed.

In the past, I've found that emailing the info and pictures (like you did) followed with a call when they open gets really quick attention and service. Just tell them the date / time of your email when you call.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby ndnchf » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:20 pm

getvicious wrote:
ndnchf wrote:I emailed the photos and description to them a little while ago, then called and left a message. Of course they are closed now. Hopefully they will get back to me on Monday.

I recommend you call SCCY Monday morning. Emails alone sometimes get missed.

In the past, I've found that emailing the info and pictures (like you did) followed with a call when they open gets really quick attention and service. Just tell them the date / time of your email when you call.


Good advice, I'll call them Monday morning. Thanks.

I wonder if anyone has seen this or is mine a unique case?
ndnchf
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby Orangedotfever » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:25 pm

Mine has done that with the +P loads I have tested in it. Let us know what SCCY says about it. I may need a new barrel too.
Orangedotfever
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby getvicious » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:59 pm

I remember a while back a person had a burr, poorly machined chamber or something that was gouging the cases. He needed a new barrel too. It corrected his issue. It seems you do see a few of these chamber issues now and then.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby ndnchf » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:24 pm

I called SCCY this morning. They looked at the photos, apologized for the problem and said they'd ship a new barrel to me today. Can't ask for better service than that.
ndnchf
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby spentprimer » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:03 pm

ndnchf wrote:I called SCCY this morning. They looked at the photos, apologized for the problem and said they'd ship a new barrel to me today. Can't ask for better service than that.


That is great news Steve!

Bill
spentprimer
New Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:20 pm
Location: Minnesota, USA

Re: cases bulging

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:39 pm

ndnchf - Hope the new barrel resolves your issue. Please let us know how it works out for you.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby ndnchf » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Will do.
I was just looking over my parts and noticed the guide rod is slightly bent at the rear end. I didn't notice if it was that way before or not. I'll test it out once I get the new barrel. If the guide rod gets worse, i'll have to call SCCY again.
ndnchf
New Member
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:45 pm

ndnchf wrote:Will do.
I was just looking over my parts and noticed the guide rod is slightly bent at the rear end. I didn't notice if it was that way before or not. I'll test it out once I get the new barrel. If the guide rod gets worse, i'll have to call SCCY again.

If it's bent at the end where it has the "T" cap that sits against the barrel lug (so the "T" is not perpendicular to the rod) call SCCY in the morning and ask for a new recoil rod assy. A messed up recoil rod can cause all kinds of malfunctions. Actually, if it's bent anywhere in any way, call SCCY in the morning to ask for a new one.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
User avatar
getvicious
Topic Moderator
 
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: cases bulging

Postby -Patrick- » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:49 am

Your reloads are to hot. I don't trust any off the shelf reloads, only my own. Bulging case AND bent rod? 99% certain . Any other firearm manufacturer would call it user error. Got to love that SCCY warranty.
User avatar
-Patrick-
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:06 am

Re: cases bulging

Postby Orangedotfever » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:33 am

I checked the standard pressure Federal HST 124gr casings I function tested the other day and they have bulges in them too. I called SCCY this morning and they are sending a new barrel to me. They are including a return label to send my old barrel back to them.
Orangedotfever
New Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Join Florida Carry