Bullet sliding into barrel when ejecting caseing

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Bullet sliding into barrel when ejecting caseing

Postby AiraCobra » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:23 pm

This is my first time posting here so if this is the wrong section, I'm sorry

So with the weather being nice some friends and i went shooting and i figured i'd break in the CPX2 everything went well for about the first 300 rounds that we all shot from it then we ended up having a casing jam while ejecting and noticed when the casing was ejected another bullet was pulled up and pushed down into the chamber thinking nothing of it as the bullet tip was only pushed forward we tried to removed the magazine but it wouldn't budge we had cleared the jam and removed the bullet from the barrel with live rounds still inside.

Later on that night i loaded the gun as i always do for home protection well i accidentally made it hot before i wanted too so i went to eject that around in the chamber and it did it again, This time it pushed the bullet/casing into the barrel and my magazine was locked in place it wouldn't disengage until i pushed the bullet back to where i could get it out.

Any of you guys have this issue before? I've asked around and not many people have.

This is a picture of the actual jam before i cleared it.

Thanks for an help
Last edited by AiraCobra on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AiraCobra

Re: Bullet sliding into barrel when ejecting caseing

Postby Orangedotfever » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:33 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your CPX is not extracting unfired rounds from the chamber when this occurs?
Orangedotfever

Postby AiraCobra » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Orangedotfever wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but your CPX is not extracting unfired rounds from the chamber when this occurs?

No you're semi correct, First time it did it was during live firing when a spent casing got stuck while ejecting as as we pulled the slide to unjam that round we found the next round had pushed up and when we pulled the slide back it seemed to push itself forward.

We tried the clip out but it wouldn't slide ou and didn't see the live round under the stuck casing until we cleared it.

&

Then the second round later that night i went to reject a live round as i wasn't ready for the gun ti be primed i ejected a live round and then the 2nd round got stuck like it showed in the picture and the magazine wouldn't pop out til i cleared the live round in the barrel
AiraCobra

Postby Orangedotfever » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:19 pm

My CPX-2 tends to pull the top round in the magazine forward as the slide moves forward and drags across the top of it. If I pop in a new mag with the slide locked back, trip the slide release to chamber a round and then eject the the mag with a round chambered, the top cartridge is always moved forward in the magazine. Sometimes this round will drag on the front inside of the magazine well but has never caused the mag to hang up on me. I also have never had it cause a cycling problem during live fire.

My Beretta Pico does this also and if I'm using Hornady Critical Defense ammo, the polymer tips will hang up the withdraw of the magazine to the point that I have to pull hard to get it out. It, also, has not failed to cycle from this issue.

Clean it up, lube it up, and see if the problem persists.
Orangedotfever

Postby getvicious » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:53 pm

You might check these things if the issue continues after you clean / lube it.
Check the end of the extractor to be sure the little hook at the end isn't damaged. The hook end fits into the gap in the case and pulls the case out of the chamber.
Check the recoil rod to see if it's nice and smooth or chewed up. I was going thru a recoil rod every 250 - 300 rounds back in the day. If the recoil rod surface is chewed up it can cause all sorts of malfunctions up to a cracked slide.

Call SCCY if issue persists after cleaning / lubing
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby GoesBang » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:43 pm

From the picture it looks like your round is not chambering completely. It's possible that you have an obstruction In the chamber.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:15 am

AiraCobra wrote:... everything went well for about the first 300 rounds ...

That's completely normal. Send it back. Welcome to the forum.

After the one range day that my CPX DIDN'T lock-up, I later found that the frame had cracked.
SCCY replaced the frame, and shimmed the receiver with wood, which has now shifted after just 40 rounds.
BTW ... my brothers' PT111-G2 has never had a failure in 5 trips to the range.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:38 pm

parkerd wrote:I am not convinced a bad CPX can be repaired. At least with a new one you have a chance.

I completely agree.
Mine has never been right, because it's built around a scrap receiver.
It should have never left the factory.
It's been back twice, and now SCCY has installed wooden shims!
It can't be repaired. It needs to be replaced.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:20 pm

My sccy has been back 5 times. Maybe 6 idk anymore. It breaks evey 200 rds or so. Whole gun replaced as well. Total junk. Nice people though.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion