I felt violated

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

I felt violated

Postby curly84 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:09 pm

Went to gander mountain Saturday to fit a holster for my cpx1 unloaded it in the car went in put it in a plastic case provided at the front desk took it back to the firearm dept. Gunsmith took it to the Smith shop was gone 10 or 15 minutes came back stuffs it in the holster I picked out it didn't fit but that was ok left the place. Went to pickup the little woman at the Christmas tree shop. Then It dawned on me that little SOB at gander mountain ran the serial number to see if it was stolen. Has this happened to anyone else like I said I felt violated

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
curly84

Re: I felt violated

Postby wknight40 » Mon May 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Hypothetical situation: Your gun gets stolen but not recovered. Somebody then purchases your gun from the person that stole it. They decide to get a holster for their newly purchased firearm. Those selling the holster run the serial number and find that it has been stolen and you are eventually get your gun back. Should the person that purchased the stolen gun feel violated? After all even though they did not knowingly commit a crime they are now out of a gun they thought they purchased legally, and out of the cash they spent.

It is aggravating going through something like that, but it is part of the checks and balances in this world now. Whether we like it or not. Part of something we should expect to happen as gun owners.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon May 09, 2016 10:44 pm

curly84 wrote:Went to gander mountain Saturday to fit a holster for my cpx1 unloaded it in the car went in put it in a plastic case provided at the front desk took it back to the firearm dept. Gunsmith took it to the Smith shop was gone 10 or 15 minutes came back stuffs it in the holster I picked out it didn't fit but that was ok left the place. Went to pickup the little woman at the Christmas tree shop. Then It dawned on me that little SOB at gander mountain ran the serial number to see if it was stolen. Has this happened to anyone else like I said I felt violated

Several years ago we were at Sturgis. My small kid riding my Sportster had it vapor lock and he pulled over. A State Trooper pulled over with him and checked him out. He was searched, his things placed on the bike seat and he got into the Trooper's car to talk. There was a Federal Marshal riding with the Trooper. My wife and I stopped and let the Marshal know that was our kid - he let us stay and we struck up a conversation. Turns out the Marshal was from Ohio. I asked him "what's a federal Marshal from Ohio doing at Sturgis SD? A little out of your normal operating location aren't you?" He said he looked forward to coming to Sturgis each year to help out. That LEO's come from a long way to help. He said he always had a good time. Then he said "besides, you would be surprised how many fleeing felons we find here." I laughed, we traded some war stories, I took a nice picture of my kid in the Trooper's car thru the windshield. He got out with a warning ticket (they had to write something for each stop). We all chatted a bit then we headed back to Glenco to check out the Sportster.

The point is, the Marshal came to Sturgis for work. Yes he had fun but he would not have come if they didn't find several fleeing felons there. Running the serial number is the same thing. If stolen guns weren't found with those checks they wouldn't need to do them.

Don't feel violated any more than if a Cop pulls you over and runs your driver's license and plate for warrants. It's just what is done in those circumstances.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby rogertc1 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:22 am

Gander Mt. in our area no longer has a gun smith. Why not just check on the tread on this forum on holsters and buy one on line?
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby getvicious » Tue May 10, 2016 6:25 am

rogertc1 wrote:Gander Mt. in our area no longer has a gun smith. Why not just check on the tread on this forum on holsters and buy one on line?

No gun smith at America's Firearms Supercenter.... That's interesting.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby curly84 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 am

Guilty until proven innocent

curly84

Postby wrearick » Tue May 17, 2016 11:55 am

I would feel violated. The gunsmith at a firearms store is not a cop and there is no law requiring him to run checks. When I take my car to an auto shop they don't run a query on my VIN number to see if it has been reported stolen. I am not sure why the gun smith every needed to handle your firearm but I sure would not have let him take it out of my sight let alone for 10-15 minutes. So yes, you were violated but you allowed it to happen and others who have commented appear to support the actions of the gunsmith but I do not.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby BadMonk » Tue May 17, 2016 4:40 pm

wrearick wrote:I would feel violated. The gunsmith at a firearms store is not a cop ... others who have commented appear to support the actions of the gunsmith but I do not.

Definitely THIS^^^^
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Tue May 17, 2016 10:09 pm

Oh, I don't support the gunsmith. IMHO there's no reason for them to check the serial number unless they are being offered the pistol in trade or to purchase. I just am not really surprised the way things are going (stores not selling particular styles of rifles apparently because they're scary, the possibility of one social media comment going viral taking a business down, businesses and individuals being harmed under the guise of being PC, people want background checks for lots of reasons now - some good, some maybe not - in fact there's a whole industry that provides that service to the public). It wouldn't surprise me if some retailers make it a policy to check the SN of every gun one of their employees handles.

It just doesn't surprise me. I will keep me from taking my gun to that retailer.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby PattonWasRight » Wed May 18, 2016 9:14 am

getvicious wrote:
rogertc1 wrote:Gander Mt. in our area no longer has a gun smith. Why not just check on the tread on this forum on holsters and buy one on line?

No gun smith at America's Firearms Supercenter.... That's interesting.
Not all the stores have them. Gander Mtn does have two facilities with the old world, old school gunsmiths, Those guys are an endangered species. They've done awesome work for me, on stuff others didn't want to get involved in. The stores send their stuff (or stuff they aren't prepared to do) to these facilities.
Just Your Average Jewish Redneck.
PattonWasRight
Seasoned Member

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion