Shorter trigger reset?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Shorter trigger reset?

Postby josht » Sun May 15, 2016 4:57 am

Just got a CPX-1 the other day. Overall I like the gun and seems to be what I was looking for. So far I've found two issues I want to remedy if possible. First is the trigger reset, second is the trigger itself.

Trigger reset... In the store I didn't notice how long the trigger reset was, probably because it was so smooth. In my dry fire "practice" I hit a few times where I didn't let the trigger fully reset. I think y'all call that short stroking the trigger? I think my biggest complaint with this gun is that the trigger doesn't reset until the finger is almost off of it. Has anyone found a way to make the trigger reset shorter, or make it happen sooner as the trigger is released?

FWIW I've done the trigger reset mod and it's definitely more noticeable now. Seems to make for good training aid, but once I get use to it I'll probably flip the spring back. Even if I leave it a quicker reset would be nice.

Trigger... Dry fired a couple times in the store and had no issues with it. I haven't had a chance to actually fire the pistol yet, might be next weekend before that happens. In the mean time I've been pulling that trigger a lot to get used to the DAO and how it feels. After pulling the trigger at least a hundred times on a snap cap i've come to the decision that it's too many sharp edges and too hooked. I'll probably be picking up an RTK Storm trigger in the next few weeks unless their are any other triggers available that I should look at first.
josht

Re: Shorter trigger reset?

Postby economod » Sun May 15, 2016 7:36 am

josht wrote:Just got a CPX-1 the other day. Overall I like the gun and seems to be what I was looking for. So far I've found two issues I want to remedy if possible. First is the trigger reset, second is the trigger itself.

Did the store display a Millennium G2, or steer away from Taurus in spite of its better trigger (better everything) ?

The sccy is notorious for its long reset and sharp edged trigger.
It's surprising to not know that ... but know about the reset mod.

The edges can be sandpapered, but you bought the reset. So did I.
Hope it was cheap. Might as well shoot it. Sorry so brutal. Welcome to the forum.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sun May 15, 2016 2:31 pm

josht - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us.

I used a razor knife to round off the sharp edges on my trigger. As mentioned, sandpaper or a file works too. It will not affect your warranty.

The after market trigger you mentioned is adjustable to eliminate over travel in the trigger. It does not change the travel or reset. To do that you would need to change linkage pieces in the trigger mechanism. Having said that, there are several posts about users who really like that trigger.

I recommend you first try to shave the trigger to make it more comfortable. You may find that fixes your issue with the trigger. If you still don't like the trigger then spring for the after market trigger and spend the money.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby josht » Sun May 15, 2016 9:34 pm

Someone's a little touchy today. There are several adjectives that I could think of to describe that post, and brutal ain't one of them.

economod wrote:Did the store display a Millennium G2, or steer away from Taurus in spite of its better trigger (better everything) ?

I got what I wanted, does that mean I shouldn't look for ways to improve it or adjust it to fit me better?

A few times pulling the trigger in the store didn't seem to be a bother with the reset or trigger shape. Pulling the trigger a bunch of times and more rapidly at home, it feels a little different. Not enough to make me wish I had a different gun, but enough that I'd like to improve those items if I can.

As for the trigger reset mod, that took all of 2 seconds on google. Hell, I found that before I found the forum. From the way people talked about it I was expecting more. Once I get used to the DAO trigger I will be setting it back to normal.
josht

Postby josht » Sun May 15, 2016 10:00 pm

getvicious wrote:I used a razor knife to round off the sharp edges on my trigger. As mentioned, sandpaper or a file works too. It will not affect your warranty.

The after market trigger you mentioned is adjustable to eliminate over travel in the trigger. It does not change the travel or reset. To do that you would need to change linkage pieces in the trigger mechanism. Having said that, there are several posts about users who really like that trigger.

I recommend you first try to shave the trigger to make it more comfortable. You may find that fixes your issue with the trigger. If you still don't like the trigger then spring for the after market trigger and spend the money.

It's not the ridges on the face or the edges that bother me. It's literally the tip of the trigger that buggs me. It's got too much of a hook. If it were a flatter/straighter profile I think I'd love it. Even if I try to reshape the trigger I'll be buying another, I want a spare on hand before I start.

I know that the RTK Storm trigger will not do anything to change travel or reset. It's even useless for over travel on my pistol because their isn't enough to bother with adjusting it out. My interest is that I think the shape of it will fit my finger much better than the stock one does. Since I'm looking to buy a trigger either way, I'd be willing to buy one and find out. I've certainly spent a lot more on triggers for other guns.

It's possible that a less hooked trigger will will even negate the long reset issue. My Bersa Thunder 380 has a long trigger pull and reset on double action and it doesn't bother me, but the tip of the trigger doesn't rub my finger wrong either.
josht

Postby economod » Mon May 16, 2016 12:17 am

josht wrote:... From the way people talked about it I was expecting more. ...

Exactly ... if I'd only known the truth then, I'd have never picked it up.
Brutal but honest. Don't make it personal. It's the gun, not me. Good luck.
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby josht » Mon May 16, 2016 2:00 am

I see, it's a comprehension issue. I was referring to the reset mod, not the pistol as you seem to be. You are taking that quote out of context and I hate it when people do that, kinda makes things personal.

Brutal but honest... more like Arrogant and opinionated. Yes, I did read your thread about the cracked frame and toothpick repair. It sounds like you're not satisfied with your purchase and taking it personally. Can't say as I blame you, but quit taking it out on everyone else. You bought a lemon, it happens. You got screwed by a shoddy repair, it sucks, but it happened. Everything after that point you are about as much in the wrong as they are. I'm not going to tell you to stop beating your dead horse, but please do it elsewhere.
josht

Postby economod » Mon May 16, 2016 5:51 am

josht wrote:... I haven't had a chance to actually fire the pistol yet ...

Don't shoot the messenger.
Last edited by economod on Mon May 16, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby arcus10mm » Mon May 16, 2016 6:31 am

josht wrote:... I haven't had a chance to actually fire the pistol yet ...

Dont forget to bring the magic potion
Last edited by arcus10mm on Mon May 16, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby josht » Mon May 16, 2016 11:53 am

Getvicious, thanks for the good feedback.

Economod, Arcus10mm, thanks for posting as well. If nothing else I can start making a list of who to ignore on this board.
josht

Postby BadMonk » Mon May 16, 2016 12:22 pm

josht wrote: It's possible that a less hooked trigger will will even negate the long reset issue.

Interesting and a good thought. I didn't think of it but you're probably onto something there.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby arcus10mm » Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 pm

It's better to have too much trigger reset overtravel than not enough. Too much won't interfere with your pistol firing, but not enough could result in your not being able to reset the trigger.
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby josht » Sat May 21, 2016 3:09 am

Just figured I'd update. Found a good spot down the road in the right of way for a local power main that had enough bank to act as a backstop. Shot the pistol a bit tuesday, it was raining and only had time to empty two mags of Winchester 115 gr FMJ. Pistol ran well, but trigger had to go.

Ordered the RTK trigger, it was delivered today and I installed it a little while ago. Just sitting here firing on a snap cap, it feels a lot better. It did not change the trigger pull or the reset, wasn't expecting it to, but it feels a lot better on my finger. As suspected with the improved (for me) trigger shape I don't mind the long long reset near as much. Hopefully I'll have a chance to shoot it some more before the weekend is out.
josht

Postby getvicious » Sat May 21, 2016 8:36 am

josht - Nice, let us know what you think after you get a chance to shoot it with your new trigger.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion