Hello, and Interesting Assesment

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Hello, and Interesting Assesment

Postby FloridaPilot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:36 pm

Hello Everybody. I recently purchased my first pistol, a CPX1. Now, I should mention that I got my SCCY for under $200 including tax, new in box. I also live less than an hour from the SCCY plant in Daytona. I wasn't really looking for a gun, but my parents wanted me to have one as I live in Orlando, and located the pistol and floated me 50% for it (I personally paid about $90 out of my own pocket).

My SCCY is fairly young, produced in May of this year. I've inspected the firearm throughly to ensure the receiver is securely seated in the frame with no excess space, the frame pins have retaining compound on them (I think I may even LocTite them at some point) and the machining of the slide and barrel show no defects.

I wanted to point out my first experience with SCCY Customer Service. I recently noticed that after 500 rounds my recoil spring capture washer had broken. Not a big deal to me, the gun still functions and I see it more as a cheap plinker than a long-term EDC (I have my eyes on an M&P down the road, as I've determined I wouldn't mind getting my CCL). Anyway, I called SCCY and they shipped me out a new spring assembly no problem. I even asked if they'd be kind enough to send me a spare teardown pin just in case I ever lose mine for some reason, and they kindly obliged.

The new spring came today. I put it in the firearm and noticed an immediate difference in the force needed to rack the slide. So I tried a small experiment. I took a small piece of wood and drilled a hole the same diameter as the guiderod, leaving a small area for the spring retainer washer to catch. I tared both items on a scale, and then I pushed down on the spring with the wood so that the guiderod would move through the hole.

The spring didn not collapse until such time as the scale read 22.1lbs. I have yet to fire the gun with the new spring, but if my logic is correct, could this mean SCCY is now using a heavier recoil spring, and thus we'll see an ever so slight improvement in the recoil snap?

Also, I had a thought I wanted to run by the community. There appears to be space inside the frame where small shot pellets or fishing weights could be secured, below the barrel (the three or four cross-beams in the frame). What would the probable effects on recoil be if one could add a decent amount of weight to the front of the frame? Might be a project down the line when the M&P arrives.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Re: Hello, and Interesting Assesment

Postby getvicious » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:02 am

Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us.

Hope you enjoy your CPX pistol and never actually need to use it.

Sounds like you got quite a deal.

I don't know about adding weight to the frame under the barrel. I would think you can't add enough to make a real difference (that's where the recoil rod assy sits and works so you need to maintain clearance there). I do think it would change the balance of the pistol. If you decide to try it let us know how it works out. It's a science experiment.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Re: Hello, and Interesting Assesment

Postby Drec » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:49 am

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Drec
Forum Regular

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion