First Gun, First Shoot, First Post

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

First Gun, First Shoot, First Post

Postby Buda » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:31 pm

So about 2 weeks ago I bought a new SCCY CPX2 CB (Black on Black) for a total with tax of $312 in upstate NY. It is my first hand gun and it was purchased due to appearance, style, reviews and cost. I bought a 3rd magazine online to increase my capacity. Today was my first chance to shoot this 9mm gun. I ran 25 rounds of Blazer Brass 115grain ammo ($18 for 50) through the SCCY and had a few problems. I had multiple failure to load (like 5 or 6) issues and one fail to eject issue (on my first shot!). Additionally with that first shot I learned I need to get my freaking thumb of my non-trigger hand out from where the slide comes back to eject the cartridge (ouch).

I will not yet say I am disappointed but I was hoping for an error-free first shooting run. I labeled the mags and one seemed to be more of a problematic one... this same mag I am only able to get 8 rounds in. I will run some more ammo (different brand(s)) through the SCCY and see if the gun behaves differently. Today was just about getting my feet wet with this new firearm but if the problems persist I hope I can begin to understand if they are ammo, magazine or gun related.

Damn my thumb hurts... oh... and next time I will not forget my hearing protection, was surprised at how loud the boom was.
Sccy CPX-2 9mm
Ruger LCP .380
Taurus Poly Public Defender .410/.45LC
Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22
Ithaca Arms 12g pump
Buda

Re: First Gun, First Shoot, First Post

Postby getvicious » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Clean and lube it really well. You might polish the feed ramp. Hold it firmly when firing. CPX's can fail to function properly when the shooter's grip is too relaxed.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Drec » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar experience with my CPX-2 when I first shot it. I called SCCY and they sent me several new magazine cans, a new barrel and slide; which seemed to take care of the problem. SCCY was really good and I received the parts in several days. When I got the new parts, I disassembled the gun, lubed it and put it back together with the new pieces. It shoots a lot better now, so you might call SCCY.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby curly84 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Tight tollaranc

Purchase my cpx1 in March of 2009 had a few MF but the more rounds I ran the less I've had. Keep it clean and lube.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
curly84

Postby wrench459 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:52 pm

Welcome to the madness and congrad with your first handgun.
My cpx likes a lite coating of grease on the rails.
Definitely load up the mags and let them sit for a few days.
Polish the ramp...it only takes a few minutes.
Enjoy your handgun in the great state of NY.

Most ppl complain about the heavy trigger.
I did something different about this issue.
Pull the trigger until the hammer is about to fall...wedge a small screwdriver into the back..
then let her sit for a few days. The spring will relax some what.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Buda » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:34 pm

great info so far... thanks guys... will implement the suggestions.
Sccy CPX-2 9mm
Ruger LCP .380
Taurus Poly Public Defender .410/.45LC
Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22
Ithaca Arms 12g pump
Buda

Postby FloridaPilot » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 am

Good morning and congrats on your SCCY. As others have mentioned, there are a few things you should do to help remedy the issue you're experiencing:

Failure to go into battery and failure to eject are common with this pistol when the shooter "limp wrists" the gun upon firing. The energy needed to seat the round in battery and to remove the old casing gets spent on upward velocity when the gun is not controlled during recoil. It will take a few rounds to practice but make sure you're really holding the gun in a good firing grip with a good stance. This will give you the most control. Sounds like you might need to research your grip a little based on your thumb. Learn well!

As others have mentioned, take a few moments to do some early preventative maintenance. Oil the rails and slide, polish the feed ramp, and I would take this opportunity to place some LocTite Super Glue on both sides of the frame pins.

The pins have a known walking issue, and while more recent designs of the SCCY seem to be less prone, they're still prone to this malfunction. SCCY does have great customer service, so giving them a call if you have serious issues is always a good plus. But I would research your grip and clean and lube the weapon first, as this might completely resolve your concerns.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:37 am

Buda wrote:Damn my thumb hurts... oh... and next time I will not forget my hearing protection, was surprised at how loud the boom was.

I hope your ears have stopped ringing by now. Don't forget eye protection, too. 8)
Both are required at most ranges.
Even the cheapest ear muffs and safety glasses are much better than nothing.
Rub some dirt on that thumb.
Sccy WOOD Shims . Ammo OAL . CPX Sold
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. MLK Jr 1957
TRUMP -1y : Lawless Cheating Thief, Ignorant Sideshow Conman,
Lying Crybaby, Cruel Spineless Bully, Putin+MBS Clientele .. WTF!
economod
Veteran Member

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion