Two new SCCY's and problems

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Two new SCCY's and problems

Postby economod » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:40 pm

parkerd wrote:380 is a fine round and is very real. The objective is accuracy.
One well placed 22 is worth a mag of scattered 9mm.

!
I've got nothing to add to that. Just thought it bears repeating.
9mm Ammo OAL . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX Sold
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that" MLK Jr. 1957
"Nationalism is a betrayal of Patriotism" Macron 2018
trumPmurt - Vengeful Brat >< Imbecilic Buffoon
economod
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:51 pm

Most self-defense is at close range.
My first line is a 995..along with the sky side arm.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby johnk » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:24 pm

economod wrote:For a snappy lightweight 9mm gun like the sccy, it's helpful to control the pistol with the off hand.
Try to press more of the heel of the off hand onto the grip, and grasp tighter with its strength (55/45).
Slightly relaxing the trigger hand will greatly improve DAO trigger control. Works for me.

I'm leaning toward a Taurus TCP 380 for myself, but I wouldn't suggest a pocket pistol for a novice.
Check out the affordable Bersa DA/SA 380's ... getvicious can attest to the Bersa Firestorm's shoot-ability.

Thunder380CC 3.2" 8+1 $250 ... http://www.rkguns.com/bersa-thunder-380 ... mltcc.html
sootch00 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyirTkEg-bM
hickok45 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RWl6L0BnU

I have a Taurus TCP 380. Got it for my daughter and yes in pink. She has stepped up to a Sccy 9mm and gave it to me.(the pink one.) When bought it, it came with a waist pouch and I have found it to be great for summertime carry. Well enough of that. Here is what you should know. I have put two hundred rounds through the pistol without any problems. After working on my grip to control the recoil the pistol is very accurate at self-defense distances. Reliability has been 100% with hollow point self defense ammo. Yes it is pink and no I do not have a purse that matches. jk
johnk

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:10 pm

I've recently watched some videos of TCP rapid fire mag dumps that exhibit very good recoil control.
Also recently held a TCP again, and realized it's not as tiny as I had remembered.
Glad to hear your positive feedback as well. It'll probably be my next pistol. Thanks.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:52 pm

Saw a recent TCP video about mags ... old series A-B-C mag "made in Brazil" would not stay locked into a recent series F TCP, which came with a mag "made in USA". Just something to be aware of when shopping for cheap mags on eBay.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Papa-t » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:52 am

After receiving new mags from Sccy, my daughters CPX1 didn't jam on feeding. However I did make her control the grip more firmly. She finishes her CC class and passed the qualifying with no problems.
Papa-t

Postby economod » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:31 am

Congrats! :wink: Practice often! :wink:
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:39 am

Congrats on quals and fix!
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby strider43 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Papa-t wrote:First of all, hello from NC. Recently retired with 30 years in Law Enforcement. I say that only so you'll know I'm no stranger to firearms. Last September our firearms instructor had a new SCCY and I was allowed to shoot it. It shot really well with no jamming. So, I just purchased two new SCCY's. A CPX-1 and a CPX-2; one for my wife and the other for my daughter. Yes they had to have a teal blue and a pink one. So, today we got out to shoot them for the first time so they could get familiar with the guns. My daughters CPX-2 immediately jammed after the first round. The bullet was catching the bottom of the feed chamber. I first thought well maybe its the hollow points so I got a box of round balls and again it would jam immediately. The only way to get it unjammed was to lock the receiver back and drop the magazine. So, then I took the CPX-1 and tried it. At first it shot 10 rounds with no problem. Then it started jamming the same way every fourth or fifth shot. And let me say before we shot the first round, I took them apart and cleaned the factory red grease which is in them from the factory. So, I guess I will be making a service call to SCCY on Monday. I am some what disappointed for my wife and daughter because they were really excited about the new pistols.

You have been had. SCCY firearms are junk and when you send it back for repair it will come back still not working. Sccy now doesn't want my pistol back so Im out the $279.00 that I paid. They had there so called tech that cant fix guns call me. I have a pistol that sometimes works, but it is totally undependable. You have been had, join the suckers club.
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby strider43 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:38 pm

FloridaPilot wrote:
parkerd wrote:Florida Pilot: Read your post over again. If out of the box this is a problem, then the company is supplying guns with a serious manufacturing defect. Your purchase should work out of the box, no jamming, no stovepiping, no recoil spring failures, no slide jamming, Point and shoot, that's all.
Too many posters here spend a lot of time justifying SCCY's problems ("it blew up, but GREAT gun, great customer service, sweet voice on the phone"). While a very very poor and weak grip on your firearm may cause a problem, limp wristing is mostly a fairy tale. We are creating large group of new shooters who approach the range with a "death grip". I spend a lot of time getting new shooters to relax their grip. That is the way to improve accuracy.

My SCCY is about two months old from what I can gather. In that time I've put 1250 rounds through it. My SCCY IS a great gun. I have gotten everything I expected for what I paid. I'm sorry you've had different experiences, but I don't think that makes your overall statement accurate.
The Internet is littered with stories and tales of guns that require breakin periods, to the point that it can statistically be justified to say: "Handguns with tight tolerances usually experience a breakin period." This is not unique to SCCY, and every manufacturer has produced at least one gun notorious for needing some sort of break in. A magazine with a stiff spring is nothing new, and it's a logical point origin for such issues.
When I take my wife to the range, and she experiences 5 failures in a row, and I take the gun and shoot five magazines just fine? Limpwristing IS an issue with the SCCY. Allowing the energy to dissipate through upward kinetic momentum of your hands and arms will rob the slide of the energy needed to travel. My wife consistently, through the whole trip, experienced issues until I identified the limp wristing component. Once we modified her grip and she understood the mechanics, the issues ceased.

Again, I'm sorry you've experienced issues with the SCCY. I've stress-tested my SCCY every way from Sunday without an issue.

dud e you are the exception. SCCY pistols are junk and they no one who can fix them at their factory. My replacement pistol didn't work out of the box, the pistols they send back to after repair DONT work
strider43
Forum Regular

Postby Merc6 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:47 am

I'm sure if I can get the pins to stay in, I will have a 100% functioning gun. As is till all the parts come, I can at least fire 1 round if need be, manually index the slide forward, readjust my grip to hold the front pin in for the reminder of the mag. My only gripe when it works is the way the round spins down the barrel it twists the gun in a way that it doesn't come directly back into my hand. My Glock did similar but this is a bit more. XD kinda did it but not as much. Downfall of top heavy with polymer frame vs lightweight carry characteristics.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion