Two new SCCY's and problems

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Two new SCCY's and problems

Postby Papa-t » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:53 pm

First of all, hello from NC. Recently retired with 30 years in Law Enforcement. I say that only so you'll know I'm no stranger to firearms. Last September our firearms instructor had a new SCCY and I was allowed to shoot it. It shot really well with no jamming. So, I just purchased two new SCCY's. A CPX-1 and a CPX-2; one for my wife and the other for my daughter. Yes they had to have a teal blue and a pink one. So, today we got out to shoot them for the first time so they could get familiar with the guns. My daughters CPX-2 immediately jammed after the first round. The bullet was catching the bottom of the feed chamber. I first thought well maybe its the hollow points so I got a box of round balls and again it would jam immediately. The only way to get it unjammed was to lock the receiver back and drop the magazine. So, then I took the CPX-1 and tried it. At first it shot 10 rounds with no problem. Then it started jamming the same way every fourth or fifth shot. And let me say before we shot the first round, I took them apart and cleaned the factory red grease which is in them from the factory. So, I guess I will be making a service call to SCCY on Monday. I am some what disappointed for my wife and daughter because they were really excited about the new pistols.
Papa-t

Re: Two new SCCY's and problems

Postby Drec » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:17 am

Welcome to the forum.

I had a similar situation with my new CPX-2 and called SCCY. They sent me new magazine housings, another slide and barrel; which seemed to take care of the problem. I've only shot is a few time since, but have not had any other problems.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Papa-t - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us.

Yes, call SCCY. And yes, it sucks having issues like you reported. You might try polishing the feed ramps. I polished mine before shooting any rounds thru it and have never experienced the jamming like you mention.

BTW - If SCCY wants you to send the pistols to them be sure to ask for a pre-paid shipping label.

Let us know how it all works out for you.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Mrbone » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:36 pm

Unbelievable! Well... Not really. Sorry this happened to you. My advice: have sccy fix em up, then sell em and buy something else.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby TomVA » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:44 pm

I have a CPX-2 and it is quite sensitive to limp-wristing. I've heard others say the same.

Tom
Last edited by TomVA on Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomVA

Postby BadMonk » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:00 pm

TomVA wrote:I have a PX-2 and it is quite sensitive to limp-wristing. I've heard others say the same.

Tom

^^^^^^
THIS
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby Papa-t » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:18 am

I called the Sccy company which is in Florida. They are going to ship two new barrels and four new magazines today (Monday). So I should have them by Wednesday they said. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. So time will tell.
Papa-t

Postby FloridaPilot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Papa-T,

Congratulations on your recent purchase. Sorry to hear about the issues, though. As some others have mentioned, limp wristing even the slightest can be a challenge for the SCCY. In addition, something I've read is that the magazine springs start out really tough. It's best to break them in so that during the return to battery the magazine doesn't over-force the round upward and cause a jam. I've not experienced that, but I have had issues with my wife limp wristing and getting stovepipes and failures to return to battery.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby FloridaPilot » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:37 pm

parkerd wrote:Florida Pilot: Read your post over again. If out of the box this is a problem, then the company is supplying guns with a serious manufacturing defect. Your purchase should work out of the box, no jamming, no stovepiping, no recoil spring failures, no slide jamming, Point and shoot, that's all.
Too many posters here spend a lot of time justifying SCCY's problems ("it blew up, but GREAT gun, great customer service, sweet voice on the phone"). While a very very poor and weak grip on your firearm may cause a problem, limp wristing is mostly a fairy tale. We are creating large group of new shooters who approach the range with a "death grip". I spend a lot of time getting new shooters to relax their grip. That is the way to improve accuracy.

My SCCY is about two months old from what I can gather. In that time I've put 1250 rounds through it. My SCCY IS a great gun. I have gotten everything I expected for what I paid. I'm sorry you've had different experiences, but I don't think that makes your overall statement accurate.
The Internet is littered with stories and tales of guns that require breakin periods, to the point that it can statistically be justified to say: "Handguns with tight tolerances usually experience a breakin period." This is not unique to SCCY, and every manufacturer has produced at least one gun notorious for needing some sort of break in. A magazine with a stiff spring is nothing new, and it's a logical point origin for such issues.
When I take my wife to the range, and she experiences 5 failures in a row, and I take the gun and shoot five magazines just fine? Limpwristing IS an issue with the SCCY. Allowing the energy to dissipate through upward kinetic momentum of your hands and arms will rob the slide of the energy needed to travel. My wife consistently, through the whole trip, experienced issues until I identified the limp wristing component. Once we modified her grip and she understood the mechanics, the issues ceased.

Again, I'm sorry you've experienced issues with the SCCY. I've stress-tested my SCCY every way from Sunday without an issue.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:28 am

Perhaps a 380 would help resolve that limp-wrist issue (among others).
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby FloridaPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 am

economod wrote:Perhaps a 380 would help resolve that limp-wrist issue (among others).

I've looked at .380's for her recently. I think that might be the route we'll go.

On the other hand, I'm not an engineer in firearms, but I do have to wonder why the SCCY has so much more muzzle flip compared to other comparable 3" barreld guns. I've never fired a P11 or P9, but I wonder if it exceeds that. Controllability is obviously an issue with this gun, but I'm just curious as to what design implementation affects it the most?
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:11 am

For a snappy lightweight 9mm gun like the sccy, it's helpful to control the pistol with the off hand.
Try to press more of the heel of the off hand onto the grip, and grasp tighter with its strength (55/45).
Slightly relaxing the trigger hand will greatly improve DAO trigger control. Works for me.

I'm leaning toward a Taurus TCP 380 for myself, but I wouldn't suggest a pocket pistol for a novice.
Check out the affordable Bersa DA/SA 380's ... getvicious can attest to the Bersa Firestorm's shoot-ability.

Thunder380CC 3.2" 8+1 $250 ... http://www.rkguns.com/bersa-thunder-380 ... mltcc.html
sootch00 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyirTkEg-bM
hickok45 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RWl6L0BnU
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby FloridaPilot » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:05 pm

economod wrote:For a snappy lightweight 9mm gun like the sccy, it's helpful to control the pistol with the off hand.
Try to press more of the heel of the off hand onto the grip, and grasp tighter with its strength (55/45).
Slightly relaxing the trigger hand will greatly improve DAO trigger control. Works for me.

I'm leaning toward a Taurus TCP 380 for myself, but I wouldn't suggest a pocket pistol for a novice.
Check out the affordable Bersa DA/SA 380's ... getvicious can attest to the Bersa Firestorm's shoot-ability.

Thunder380CC 3.2" 8+1 $250 ... http://www.rkguns.com/bersa-thunder-380 ... mltcc.html
sootch00 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyirTkEg-bM
hickok45 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_RWl6L0BnU

Thank you for the recommendations. I called my local range and it looks like their sister store currently has one lined up for range rental. I'm thinking I'll take her that way one of these days to give it a shot. And thank you for the suggestions to grip placement. My next day at the range I'll make those suggestions a priority! I sincerely appreciate the input!
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 pm

Bersa makes several different models of 380 and 9mm.
Almost all are DA/SA exposed hammer, which is a very different experience compared to the DAO sccy.
A good friend bought a Thunder 380 several years (20+) ago ... first gun for his wife.
They're both avid deer hunters, have been thru many guns ... they still have that Bersa.
Lots of fun to shoot. When they go on sale, they're hard to beat.

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/bersa/firearms/
economod
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:54 pm

economod wrote:For a snappy lightweight 9mm gun like the sccy, it's helpful to control the pistol with the off hand.

Yep combat grip.

I tried a mag full of 380 rounds for my wife to lower the recoil.
She shot a few and said no way.
Put the real stuff back in!
wrench459
Veteran Member

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion