Let's Talk: SCCY The Company

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Let's Talk: SCCY The Company

Postby FloridaPilot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:38 pm

Merc6 wrote:My nephew but it wasn't from malfunction. He locked it in the glovebox before going into a gun free zone and was on his way home and saw no reason to get it back out. All his wounds are consistent with trying to bruit force the glove box while taking 7 of 8 rounds though his car door and window. His gun was new (got receipt) and appears he only fired 18 rounds at range and then loaded 1 10 round for EDC. Which still brings me back to my key and his key are the same for the gun locks. Is that normal to happen like door handles in the same batch from Home Depot having the same keys?

Merc6, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss. That truly is a shame.

All locks on the gun locks from SCCY may be opened with the same key. The purpose of the lock is questionable. I previously assumed it to be a child safety lock, but the owners manual advises you to not apply the lock to a loaded gun. Given that the lock is plastic, I'm confused by who they're trying to keep from using the gun.

On an aside, while the loss of your nephew is regrettable, I'm not sure it could be quantified as a direct result of the gun failing. It reads to me as a large, spiraling rabbit hole of discussion that is "gun free zones and their effectiveness in mitigating gun violence."
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby Mrbone » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:17 pm

.[/quote]
You'll likely get more for your used cpx on Armslist (if your local laws allow) than at a LGS.[/quote]

I put mine on armslist for trade for a revolver and within 3 hours had traded it for a fantastic revolver. Just went to the range sunday and put another 100 wwb thru it and let me tell ya, it felt good to not have to worry about the gun breaking. I tried selling it first and no shop would offer more than 175 with 6 mags and a nice 50 dollar holster. The gun was even "new" back from the factory.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Mrbone wrote:
economod wrote:You'll likely get more for your used cpx on Armslist (if your local laws allow) than at a LGS.

I put mine on armslist for trade for a revolver and within 3 hours had traded it for a fantastic revolver. Just went to the range sunday and put another 100 wwb thru it and let me tell ya, it felt good to not have to worry about the gun breaking. I tried selling it first and no shop would offer more than 175 with 6 mags and a nice 50 dollar holster. The gun was even "new" back from the factory.

Nice!
I sold three guns this summer on armslist ... none lasted more than two days. :D
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:17 pm

Mrbone wrote:

That was an even better price than what they wanted to give for a gun I got from them almost a month ago. How does that process go? You background check them or just hope and pray they aren't an evil person?
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:50 am

FloridaPilot wrote:... How is SCCY still in business if all they produce are junk guns, and have been doing so for 10 years? How have their sales increased rather than decreasing from a bad reputation?

EDIT: Remember, we're looking at what is a successful business model. They're growing and making profit, and therefore operating a successful business model.

What does bad reputation matter to an uninformed buyer who wanders into a LGS with $250 to spend, like me 2yrs ago? Simple market research on armslist shows that guns priced between $200-$300 are transacted very, very quickly. There is much competition above $300 and below $200, but relatively very little competition for a new 9mm gun within that price range. It's not so much successful business model as it is marketplace opportunism. Lower priced zamak manufacturers can't compete with lightweight polymer. Higher priced polymer & steel manufacturers can't cut the rug out from under their premium sellers. Seems that sccy's only real competition in the states comes from very established manufacturers in Brazil, Turkey, Argentina, etc. If a single product can pay off sccy's long term debt, then it's a successful business model. But that doesn't necessarily equate to being a preferred weapon, at any price.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 pm

Merc6 wrote:
Mrbone wrote:
How does that process go? You background check them or just hope and pray they aren't an evil person?

First i look up the serial number online free to see if stolen. Then i ask to see ccw. If no ccw, produce id and sign for purchase. You can also look up arrest records free if you know where they are from.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:59 pm

Merc6 - I recommend you speak to your Sheriff's Office or State Attorneys General Office for your legal requirements to sell a firearm to a private party. Legal requirements vary from state to state. What's legal and required in one state may not be the same as your state.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Mrbone » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:00 pm

Yep- what he said. Here in florida nothing is required. No receipt no nothing. I have the armslist post and his replies and number so im not worried.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby xddan58 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:08 pm

I have a sccy cpx 2 . I have been reading the post's and wondering if i made a mistake buying it. I have not fired it yet and i'm a little afraid to. I think i'm going to sell it. I see more negative comments than positive. I was going to make it my CCW . But i do not know if i would use this gun for protection. Just saying
xddan58

Postby tripleb » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:36 pm

xddan58 wrote:I have a sccy cpx 2 . I have been reading the post's and wondering if i made a mistake buying it. I have not fired it yet and i'm a little afraid to. I think i'm going to sell it. I see more negative comments than positive. I was going to make it my CCW . But i do not know if i would use this gun for protection. Just saying

xddan58: Typically, a forum that is a discussion of a product, will have more negative comments about the product than positive. And most of the negative comments will be generated by only a few people. Generally, if people are not having issues with a product nothing is heard from them. I for one, have had my CPX2 for about 2-1/2 years with zero mechanical issues and about 500 rounds down range. That being said, my particular CPX2 doesn't like Winchester White Box ammo so, I just don't use WWB. It is my EDC in the cooler months and I trust it to go bang every time I pull the trigger.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:50 pm

I've heard that SCCY has a presence on Facebook. Perhaps it is less cynical.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby xddan58 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:18 pm

thanks tripleb
xddan58

Postby xddan58 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:21 am

good point thanks for the input
xddan58

Postby arcus10mm » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 pm

arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby Renaldow » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:12 pm

xddan58 wrote:good point thanks for the input

I've been carrying a CPX2 for over a year. I've put around 1000 rounds through it at the range. Like any other firearm I've had, there are types of ammo it's not fond of. For me, it's been steel case, so I don't buy it. Sccy specifically says don't buy it. Never had an issue with Hornady Critical Defense in it, which is what I carry in it. I'm hoping you've shot the CPX2 by now, it's a fun little gun.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion