Let's Talk: SCCY The Company

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: Let's Talk: SCCY The Company

Postby Merc6 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:23 am

FloridaPilot wrote:
Mrbone wrote:I have a feeling that alot of these guns are purchased and never fired or fired 50 rounds a year. Not to mention they are geared toward novice shooters. These novice shooters prob dont know anything about guns and after a few mags are willing to tell anyone that will listen that its a good gun. After owning this gun I will never say that another gun is good until I put over a thousand rounds through it.

Interesting. That's one of my assumptions as well. Many SCCY's are bought and then quickly put away, assumed to be in good working order.

Drec wrote:It's possible that one of these guns is purchased, shot a couple of times and then just carried. It's small enough for that purpose.

I guess I'm in the middle ground on a used purchase. House gun that gets shot biweekly at the range. The warranty is what had me sold on it. I didn't plan on making it my main rig, I had my eye on a few guns. I keep finding decent 1911's that are sold the second I get the notion to buy. Either way I'm gonna hold on to it for as long as I can as a back up.

500 rounds I had the front pin walk and feed issues for about 8 rounds using PerFecta. White box Remington ran flawless for me.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby rogertc1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 pm

As you can see from my join date I have had a SCCY since then. They are a fine pistols.I have 4. Reliable and fit my hand well. You can Google any manufacture and find problems with their gun and owners. Most people who go to forums are there because they have problems with their gun. SCCY also has great Customer Service. Great company.
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby fnhooked » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:59 pm

I might as well throw my two cents in. I've had mine since Aug 2012 and the only issue was with the recoil spring assy. Made a call to SCCY and a couple days later had the replacement. While some others have had issues, I've not had any since. I pull the trigger and it goes bang, consistently. I get the best performance, tightest groups, with HST 124gr and about the same with Blazer Bronze 124gr. That's about all I run through it ... no steel, no +P and I've got well over 1000 rounds through it. It's a nice little piece for the money and what I need it for. I'm good with double tapping a 4 inch square at 15 feet because if I'm walking through a parking lot and a threat presents itself, I feel confident that I can handle it. Any further than that, I probably shouldn't be shooting at anyway.

As for the business model, there are probably enough folks out there who have purchased a SCCY who have not needed the warranty ... whether they shoot it or not is not isn't on SCCY but it's comforting to know that SCCY will stand behind their product if need be.
Last edited by fnhooked on Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
fnhooked

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Just about 200 rounds thru mine. Perfect function. Good accuracy. I like it. This forum seems to be occupied by unhappy customers,which is unfortunate. May I suggest reading customer feedback at Bud's, Cabelas, Classic etc. Spoiler alert, they are way more positive than posters here.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby BadMonk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:26 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Just about 200 rounds thru mine. Perfect function. Good accuracy. I like it. This forum seems to be occupied by unhappy customers,which is unfortunate. May I suggest reading customer feedback at Bud's, Cabelas, Classic etc. Spoiler alert, they are way more positive than posters here.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This, yes this in a big way.

I owned and shot revolvers for a good amount of time before picking up a SCCY. So the trigger on the CPX-2 is not an issue for me. For the new owners who are having problems, get a revolver...it's a great training tool before handling a SCCY.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby Merc6 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:55 am

BadMonk wrote:
Silverbullet wrote:Just about 200 rounds thru mine. Perfect function. Good accuracy. I like it. This forum seems to be occupied by unhappy customers,which is unfortunate. May I suggest reading customer feedback at Bud's, Cabelas, Classic etc. Spoiler alert, they are way more positive than posters here.

^^^^^^^^^^^
This, yes this in a big way.

I owned and shot revolvers for a good amount of time before picking up a SCCY. So the trigger on the CPX-2 is not an issue for me. For the new owners who are having problems, get a revolver...it's a great training tool before handling a SCCY.

I have a starter pistol that has a extremely unrealistically heavy pull and used that. Kinda like throwing basket balls at a wall just before using an actual dodge ball in competition when younger.

rogertc1 wrote:As you can see from my join date I have had a SCCY since then. They are a fine pistols.I have 4. Reliable and fit my hand well. You can Google any manufacture and find problems with their gun and owners. Most people who go to forums are there because they have problems with their gun. SCCY also has great Customer Service. Great company.

I actually came here to see what people were doing to make them better than stock. All my issues came after reading the stuff here. They seemed nice on the phone and hope they are when repairing the gun.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:03 am

parkerd wrote:If I wanted a hard trigger I would carry a revolver. But I agree, everyone here should buy a Ruger Security Six just so they can shoot their CPX.
The steering on my truck is a little hard...maybe I should buy a 1952 Plymouth to train myself on that.
Interesting advice.

Ha. I'll take a '52 Dodge Power Wagon. They don't make 'em like they used to, for good reasons.

'79 Daytona 500, race day, '52 DPW wrecker, in sloow creeper gear, full length thru infield lake, the crowd roared!
Cops followed on both shores, stopped in middle of the lake, waving huge flag, finally got to shore, they let us go!
Ten of us on that truck, all had a bottle of something, nothing could stop it. Ha! Memories.
Looked similar to this '50, but all black ... http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/t ... _jolly.jpg
Ran like this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoFbYyGWyk
History ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtJkbL78rpQ
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Mrbone » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:28 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Just about 200 rounds thru mine. Perfect function.

200 rounds is one shooting session for the average person. Are you really going to base your opinion of this gun on only 200 rounds?
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:42 pm

At 200 rounds, my cpx2 was on its first trip back to Florida.
It did fire 140 rounds without any failures once, because I learned to use shorter ammo.
That was its only flawless range day. Well, except for the cracked frame. But I didn't find that until later. :|
Sure hope they're built better now, because it couldn't be much worse without somebody getting hurt.
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:00 am

When I got my gun 200 was enough to make me feel confident the gun works. 700 later I'm like how much can I get for this gun? When they told me a atrocious number, I decided to just hold on to it. I'll just keep sending it off to be fixed and hold it as a back up since pocket carry is perfect compared to the gun I really want. I'm still confident 3 rounds will cycle if I needed it right now before I send it off at the end of the week.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby Mrbone » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:56 am

I was singing its praises myself until 640 rds. After that it just kept breaking every 2 to 3 hundred. Every other range trip something on mine broke.
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:23 am

Merc6 wrote:When I got my gun 200 was enough to make me feel confident the gun works. 700 later I'm like how much can I get for this gun? When they told me a atrocious number, I decided to just hold on to it. I'll just keep sending it off to be fixed and hold it as a back up since pocket carry is perfect compared to the gun I really want. I'm still confident 3 rounds will cycle if I needed it right now before I send it off at the end of the week.

You'll likely get more for your used cpx on Armslist (if your local laws allow) than at a LGS.

I picked-up some ammo at Rural King, and held a 738 TCP again ... sweeeet ... not as tiny as I had remembered.
Also held a 709 ... felt top heavy, but it was empty of course.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:58 am

It looks like it could have been a $500-600 gun easily, especially when I added the rubberized grips.
Last edited by Merc6 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:05 am

Yeah, I had rubber grip tape on mine, too. Looked great. Felt great.
Then the frame cracked. Disappointing.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:51 am

economod wrote:
Merc6 wrote:When I got my gun 200 was enough to make me feel confident the gun works. 700 later I'm like how much can I get for this gun? When they told me a atrocious number, I decided to just hold on to it. I'll just keep sending it off to be fixed and hold it as a back up since pocket carry is perfect compared to the gun I really want. I'm still confident 3 rounds will cycle if I needed it right now before I send it off at the end of the week.

You'll likely get more for your used cpx on Armslist (if your local laws allow) than at a LGS.

I picked-up some ammo at Rural King, and held a 738 TCP again ... sweeeet ... not as tiny as I had remembered.
Also held a 709 ... felt top heavy, but it was empty of course.

I was gonna use it twards my 1911 purchase later this week(end). I figured if I send it off I may just get a "New gun" feel and different color. That way if I change my mind later it will at least be fixed and more desirable than a Plain Jane CB.

In all seriousness, I found out about this gun through my nephew. He had an identical one 4 months newer purchased new tested by the same guy and has the same key for the gun lock(s).
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
S&W 669
Glock 17 Gen 3
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion