Must Have Got A Good One

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Must Have Got A Good One

Postby New2guns » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 pm

New CPX-2 owner. Bought it used for $170 from a friend who needed some quick cash. He says he only put a couple hundred rounds through it. I put 100 rounds of steel case ammo through it today. I bought the steel case before I read about SCCY not recommending steel case, so I shot it all up today. Won't buy any more, but I must say the SCCY ate the 100 rounds up and spit them out just fine. I didn't have even one FTL, FTF, or FTE. When I bought the gun, my friend couldn't find the second mag or the trigger lock. So I e-mailed SCCY about buying replacements, and they sent me them in the mail.........no charge. I was surprised to say the least. All in all, I'm really liking this pistol, and I know it's early in ownership, but I plan on using it as my everyday CC. Best $170 I ever spent on a firearm. I've already been offered $200 for it. Just my quick review.
New2guns

Re: Must Have Got A Good One

Postby FloridaPilot » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:35 am

Congrats on your purchase. Might I recommend putting some more rounds through it before committing it to your EDC? No failures so far is a good sign, but mine didn't get EDC status until I successfully fired over 1200 rounds through it.

Also, test out your second mag. I recently purchased two new mags (never used) from eBay. Neither one of them worked well in my gun. The rounds didn't sit angled enough to meet the feed ramp properly. SCCY sent two new ones in the mail and it works a-okay. The mags that shipped with the gun are also perfectly fine.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby Drec » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:19 am

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your purchase. I had a similar experience to FloridaPilot on magazines.
Drec
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Magazine feed issues - You might check the mag springs. Several were shipped with the springs reversed. The high point goes under the front of the round. The backwards ones were high to the rear.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:10 pm

New2guns - BTW, Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:27 am

getvicious wrote:Magazine feed issues - You might check the mag springs. Several were shipped with the springs reversed. The high point goes under the front of the round. The backwards ones were high to the rear.

That's good advice, I had forgotten.
Both of my sccy mag springs were backwards, even after returning from the first factory repair.
Be sure the top of the spring is pushing rounds "nose-up" where it attaches to the follower.
Good luck. Be safe.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby New2guns » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:58 am

Thanks for the welcome! As someone stated above, I'm gonna wait until I put about 1,000 rounds through it before I use it as my CC. I want to try several different brands of ammo to see what my SCCY "likes" best. What do you guys find shoots best in yours?
New2guns

Postby getvicious » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:55 am

I’ve fired these various ammo brands thru my CPX. All functioned properly. Some “feel” better to me than others but that’s pretty subjective on my part. I do like the brass cased ammo best. Steel and Aluminum work but I just don’t like them as much. As long as brass is available it will be my 1st choice.

For practice I mostly use BrassMAXX, WWB or Federal Champion as I bought a bunch of each.

For daily carry I now have Ruger Polycase ARX 80 Grain +P loaded. It shoots well in my CPX. Until recently I carried Hornady Critical Defense 115 Grain FTX. I like the CD a lot and it shoots well but the Polycase ammo seemed to penetrate more consistently and still do an equal amount of damage in the gel test I saw. My 2nd mag is still loaded with CD as it works well for me and I have a bunch on hand.

And, of course, when the Zombie Apocalypse happens I have Hornady ZombieMAX 115 Grain Z-MAX ready. It works well in my CPX and really works on zombies too. Since it came out I haven’t seen a single zombie. :wink:

Blazer 115 Grain FMJ
Dynamic Research Technologies 85 Grain HP Frangible +P
Federal American Eagle 124 Grain FMJ
Federal Champion 115 Grain FMJ
Federal Premium 135 Grain HYDRA-SHOK JHP
Hornady Critical Defense 115 Grain FTX
Hornady ZombieMAX 115 Grain Z-MAX
Magtech 115 Grain FMJ
Magtech Guardian Gold 124 Grain JHP
Perfecta 115 Grain FMJ (Italy - CIP)
PPU 115 Grain FMJ
Remington UMC 115 Grain JHP
Remington UMC 115 Grain FMJ
Ruger Polycase ARX 80 Grain +P
RWS Sport Line 124 Grain FMJ
TulAmmo BrassMAXX 115 Grain FMJ
TulAmmo 115 Grain FMJ
WWB 115 Grain FMJ
WWB 124 Grain FMJ NATO
WWB 147 Grain JHP
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby New2guns » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:32 am

^^^^^^^Thanks!
New2guns

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion