Slide Jam

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Slide Jam

Postby Chapabel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:25 pm

Ok folks I have a question for y'all. Yesterday I fired about 50 rounds through my cpx-2 with no problems. However, when I got home I started to clean it but the slide would not come off. I removed the pin, but the slide refused to budge. I could cycle it back and forth, but it would not come off the rails. It would move forward about an 1/8 inch.

I called the service department at Sccy and Charlie said it sounded like it was a problem with the recoil spring and guide rod. He said he would send me one. He told me to take a rubber mallet and tap the slide off in order to replace the guide rod assembly.

So I take my mallet and finally got the slide off (it required more than just tapping it). The guide rod and spring looked fine. I put everything back together and now it works as advertised. No problems at all. I have taken the slide off several times since yesterday and it seems to be perfect. What happened? Anyone else have this happen or any ideas?
Chapabel

Re: Slide Jam

Postby getvicious » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:42 pm

If the disassembly pin isn't inserted correctly the recoil rod can slip off the barrel lug and foul with the cross-member in the frame in front of the receiver. It makes the slide hang and keeps it from being removed or even moved usually. It sounds like your recoil spring somehow got fouled something like that.

I've never heard of it happening after the pin was removed and the slide moving as you mentioned.

You're a trend setter.

Check your recoil rod assembly and frame closely.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:12 pm

Very interesting.
I did a quick test.
First removed the pin.
Then pointing the pistol sccy wards.
Released the lock...and the slide cleared the frame by inches.
Only missed catching the slide once :lol:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Merc6 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:01 am

wrench459 wrote:Very interesting.
I did a quick test.
First removed the pin.
Then pointing the pistol sccy wards.
Released the lock...and the slide cleared the frame by inches.
Only missed catching the slide once :lol:

That's kinda how I do mine but aim it inside the pocket holster before I let it go. That seems like a good test to see if you need a new guide rod or not. My old rod, the slide wouldn't come clean off the frame at all which kinda explain failure to feed issues.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby Nam62 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:41 pm

My CPX-1 slide would not come off on a NIB pistol. I checked the frequently asked questions and it said to pull the guide rod out the front of the pistol and reposition under the barrel. Did that and the slide came right off, no problems since.
Nam62

Postby getvicious » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Nam62 wrote:My CPX-1 slide would not come off on a NIB pistol. I checked the frequently asked questions and it said to pull the guide rod out the front of the pistol and reposition under the barrel. Did that and the slide came right off, no problems since.

You might call SCCY and ask for a replacement guide rod assy. Your issue makes me think there may be some issue with the end of the rod that sits against the barrel lug to let it slip off.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby juror » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Nam62 wrote:My CPX-1 slide would not come off on a NIB pistol. I checked the frequently asked questions and it said to pull the guide rod out the front of the pistol and reposition under the barrel. Did that and the slide came right off, no problems since.

My NIB CPX2 slide will not come off unless I push it very slightly toward the grip, and push down on the ~1/8 inch nub of the spring guide rod extending out the front of the pistol. If I do that while pushing forward on the slide, the slide easily comes off the frame.

Replacing the slide requires my pushing down the spring guide rod when it sticks far out from the slide. It's spring loaded, and disappears so fast into the slide at first I thought it broke off!

I have not shot this gun yet, but have repeated this procedure many times.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Baize » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:22 am

juror wrote:
Nam62 wrote:My CPX-1 slide would not come https://www.taledc.com/volume-pills-review-results off volume pills on a NIB pistol.

Same here, it's very annoying trying to get it off.
Last edited by Baize on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Baize

Postby getvicious » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:02 am

juror & Baize - I recommend you call SCCY. Sounds like you have recoil rod assembly issues.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion