Parts Shipped To FFL?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Parts Shipped To FFL?

Postby StanW » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:29 pm

I tried to order a slide release and spring and was told they had to be shipped to an FFL dealer. Is this something new?
StanW

Re: Parts Shipped To FFL?

Postby TXSCCY » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:29 pm

I've never ordered these parts from SCCY but I ordered them from Ruger and Taurus before. They shipped to my home address without problems.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby FloridaPilot » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:56 pm

I wonder if it has to do with the lower being the serialized item, and any parts on it are part of the seialized item.
FloridaPilot
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:46 pm

If it has a serial #
Then it has to go through a background check.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby TXSCCY » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:38 pm

wrench459 wrote:If it has a serial #
Then it has to go through a background check.

I shipped several Taurus slides that all had their serial numbers to CCR for Cera Hide coatings by myself via USPS Priority Mail, and I am not an FFL. CCR also sent them back to me via USPS. Image
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:20 pm

Where did you order them? I don't even see a place on SCCY's site to purchase things anymore.

Per the ATF, the only part of a firearm that is actually a firearm is the receiver, or on some guns the frame if the receiver is a part of it. Serial #'s don't mean anything. And FWIW, I've fedex'd a gun for repair to Taurus, and received the gun back from Taurus with no FFL involved.
Renaldow

Postby economod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am

StanW wrote:I tried to order a slide release and spring and was told they had to be shipped to an FFL dealer.
Is this something new?

Fairly new, within the last year or so.
Seems some parts (slide assemblies, magazines) will ship direct, while other parts are restricted to ship thru FFL.
It's never been explained with much clarity.
The mystery and speculation ... not virtuous.

Did sccy quote you a price for those two parts?
Generally they've sent parts no-charge as a warranty service.
Don't recall seeing testimony of anyone ever purchasing parts for $$$.

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby arcus10mm » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:07 pm

parkerd wrote:The Gun Control Act of 1968 is readily available on line. Perhaps someone in SCCY should get a copy and read it.
gun repair 101 would be a good one for them to read also
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:51 pm

parkerd wrote:... If you purchase a SCCY, the side benefit is that you become a rather competent amateur gunsmith.

... and, get familiar with the local UPS Customer Service Center.

They paid for three $60 round trips for my joke pistol, plus a new replacement.
It appears they may have learned a lesson. I know I did.

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby TXSCCY » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:58 pm

parkerd wrote:just for clarity: The GCA requires serial number affixed to receiver/frame of handgun, so it does mean something.
just for further clarity: ATF regulations allow shipment of a firearm through Fedex and other contract carriers. Manufacturers (who are FFL holders) can ship firearms to an individual and you can ship to a manufacturer via contract carrier.
But we have beat this mother to death many times, but then again, new experts arise.

Firearm manufacturers can ship the firearms directly to the registered owners of these firearms. The registered owners of the firearms, who are not FFL holders, can also ship them to the manufacturers via UPS/FedEx overnight shipping options without going through an FFL. I shipped a couple of Ruger, S&W and Taurus handguns back to the manufacturers for warranty repairs a few times.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:38 pm

I thought the GCA put a stop to gun owner registrations. Sccy certainly has no owner registration records.
Firearm manufacturers can return a firearm directly to the return address from which it came, be it FFL or not.

In the past (Jun'15, Jan'16, Apr'16), Sccy emailed prepaid shipping labels to me ... UPS Next Day Air Saver.
The labels contained my return address, which I had specified in each event to sccy.
And in compliance with federal law, UPS required packaged firearms to either be carried to a UPS Customer Service Center, or to be scheduled for pickup. They explicitly warned against using UPS Drop Boxes and franchised UPS Stores.
Not too difficult. Even I could do it. But it may have all changed by now.

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby TXSCCY » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:07 pm

parkerd wrote:Ummmm....yes....like I stated.....

I should be more clear. By saying "registered owners", I meant the ones who signed the ATF Form 4473 at the time of the purchases of the handguns. Image
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:46 pm

The GCA is so vital to all gun owners that it should be discussed openly and often. It's all good.

imband
economod
Veteran Member

Postby TXSCCY » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:54 am

parkerd wrote:
TXSCCY wrote:
parkerd wrote:Ummmm....yes....like I stated.....

I should be more clear. By saying "registered owners", I meant the ones who signed the ATF Form 4473 at the time of the purchases of the handguns. Image

No such thing as registered owners under federal law. (well, except for machine guns and other highly restricted firearms) Only four states require handgun registration.
SCCY has no clue who has completed a 4473 or has purchased their handgun (unless you have told them). When an FFL submits a NICS check no information on type/mfg/serial number is provided.

I was not talking about whether or not SCCY knows we signed the ATF Form 4473. I only said if a person signed the ATF Form 4473 at the time of the transfer of the handgun, they could legally send the handgun to the manufacturer via UPS or FedEx overnight express without going through an FFL.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby TXSCCY » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:16 pm

parkerd wrote:I hate to continue this thread, but am so very tired of people who are clueless giving very very wrong advice.

Whether or not you signed a 4473, or did not sign a 4473, or shredded a 4473, or used a 4473 for a deviant sex act,or you have no clue what a 4473 is, you can send your gun to the manufacturer via a contract carrier.

You DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, have to have signed a 4473 or anything else to legally send a firearm to a manufacturer (via a method required by the ATF).

Let me clarify: If you bought a CPX from your neighbor, or your neighbor gave you a CPX, or you found a CPX, you can send it to the manufacturer via UPS or FEDEX. In fact, if you stole a CPX you could legally send it to the manufacturer. If they discover it is stolen, you are guilty of that crime. But the act of shipping it back is not a crime. (stupid maybe, but not a crime).

Me too, I hate to continue this thread and I am also too tired of people who know a little of something and thought they knew it all.

When did I say one had to sign the Form 4473 to be able to send the firearm to a manufacturer legally?
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion