Shaky start...but I'm hopeful now.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Shaky start...but I'm hopeful now.

Postby jaydeezee49 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:32 am

OK..I've seen all the videos..read the articles..then saw it on sale for 199. I had to take a chance. Arriving home from my FFL, I loaded the mag..pull the slide back..and *clunk*.
The round took a nose dive into the ramp...tried the second
mag....same deal. I examined the whole feeding system...watched any related videos to feed problems..then locked myself into my Man-dungeon with a cleaning kit....600, 800 and 1000 grit metal sandpaper and my dremel. I took the mags apart...smoothed out any sharp edges...on both the metal housing and the plastic follower. I reshaped the feed ramp with a dremel with a bullet shaped stone. It looked odd to me...so I ground and sanded till it looked about right to me. Then the gun got a thorough cleaning with Wolf oil. I took it to the range today and put 120 rounds through it. Not ONE malfunction. It fed and fired perfectly...even during the rapid fire shooting I tried. It took 2 mags to get the hang of the trigger, but once I did, it was spot on at 21 feet. I think I'd be comfortable carrying this on a daily basis.
jaydeezee49

Re: Shaky start...but I'm hopeful now.

Postby sccytoter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:58 pm

jaydeezee49 wrote:OK..I've seen all the videos..read the articles..then saw it on sale for 199. I had to take a chance. Arriving home from my FFL, I loaded the mag..pull the slide back..and *clunk*.
The round took a nose dive into the ramp...tried the second
mag....same deal. I examined the whole feeding system...watched any related videos to feed problems..then locked myself into my Man-dungeon with a cleaning kit....600, 800 and 1000 grit metal sandpaper and my dremel. I took the mags apart...smoothed out any sharp edges...on both the metal housing and the plastic follower. I reshaped the feed ramp with a dremel with a bullet shaped stone. It looked odd to me...so I ground and sanded till it looked about right to me. Then the gun got a thorough cleaning with Wolf oil. I took it to the range today and put 120 rounds through it. Not ONE malfunction. It fed and fired perfectly...even during the rapid fire shooting I tried. It took 2 mags to get the hang of the trigger, but once I did, it was spot on at 21 feet. I think I'd be comfortable carrying this on a daily basis.

Well, I guess one has to remember your paying in the low 200's range for these, and if they put the hand labor into polishing and such, it would not be a low 200's priced hand gun anymore. Sounds like you know what to do to make a persnickety new gun to smooth out! Glad it shoots fine.

I have two of these CPX pistols, and they both have ran fine for me, after about a 60-70 round break in. I would have some FTF up to about that point, then all seemed to smooth out well. My first one, I bought a couple of years ago, and have ran about 450 or so rounds through it...it runs totally well. My most recent one, bought about a month ago, has just over 125 rounds through it and seems to chug along just fine now.

I have not experienced some of the problems others have had with their guns...thank God. My pins don't "walk", the ejector blade does not "wobble" around, and I don't remember having issues with rounds that nose dive, upon chambering. I am getting lucky I guess. I'm carrying one right now, and have all day. I like em'. :wink:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:21 pm

Have you tried solid copper HP's?
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby wrench459 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:56 pm

I've got a 1916 pump action...that sold for 69 banana's back then.
To fix it will cost more than the original cost of the firearm.
Yes I think that it is worthy...grandpaws gun just sayin.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:47 pm

parkerd wrote:So you are saying you purchased a "do-it-yourself" gun kit. Glad it is working for you. Myself I prefer guns that work out of the box.

Here we go again. :bdh:
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby jaydeezee49 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 am

I'm not saying I didn't get a little lucky....most people would not be comfortable using a dremel on a new gun....but I didn't do anything that the wear of a thousand fired rounds wouldn't have done by itself... :whist:
jaydeezee49

Postby arcus10mm » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:46 pm

jaydeezee49 may i ask first 3 ser# (222xxx)
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby El Guapo » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:45 pm

First time gun owner. Have had my CPX-2 for about 6 months, 500+ rounds. The first 100 rounds had multiple FTF's, I thought I had worked through that, but they've returned again. I'm experiencing about a 4% FTF rate. A nuisance on the range, but enough to where I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. I love the fit and feel of the gun, and can consistently put rounds center of mass, but again, reliability isn't what expected.
El Guapo

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:38 pm

El Guapo wrote:First time gun owner. Have had my CPX-2 for about 6 months, 500+ rounds. The first 100 rounds had multiple FTF's, I thought I had worked through that, but they've returned again. I'm experiencing about a 4% FTF rate. A nuisance on the range, but enough to where I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. I love the fit and feel of the gun, and can consistently put rounds center of mass, but again, reliability isn't what expected.

Hi. Read your original post. Sounds like the extractor has the round? Or did the slide close on an empty chamber? Same mag or both? Ammo? Some guns are picky.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:29 pm

My cpx likes to be well lubed with grease..slide-glide or https://www.mil-comm.com/tw-25b/tw25b-light-grease-lubricant-protectant
works very good.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby El Guapo » Wed May 10, 2017 1:14 pm

Silverbullet wrote:
El Guapo wrote:First time gun owner. Have had my CPX-2 for about 6 months, 500+ rounds. The first 100 rounds had multiple FTF's, I thought I had worked through that, but they've returned again. I'm experiencing about a 4% FTF rate. A nuisance on the range, but enough to where I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it. I love the fit and feel of the gun, and can consistently put rounds center of mass, but again, reliability isn't what expected.

Hi. Read your original post. Sounds like the extractor has the round? Or did the slide close on an empty chamber? Same mag or both? Ammo? Some guns are picky.

Sorry for the slow response Silverbullet. The incoming round would hang up on the ramp. It was magazine independent, and happened most frequently with Winchester white box. Since my last post I've probably put close to 800 rounds through it, and the problem has disappeared. I did polish the ramp a bit, and ended up replacing a broken recoil spring assembly. Either way, the gun shoots like a dream now, has been flawless the last 300+ rounds. I've shot Remington, Winchester, Blazer Brass, and American Eagle, mostly FMJ's, some HP. Love my gun, hope it holds together.
El Guapo

Postby getvicious » Wed May 10, 2017 11:42 pm

El Guapo wrote:Sorry for the slow response Silverbullet. The incoming round would hang up on the ramp. It was magazine independent, and happened most frequently with Winchester white box. Since my last post I've probably put close to 800 rounds through it, and the problem has disappeared. I did polish the ramp a bit, and ended up replacing a broken recoil spring assembly. Either way, the gun shoots like a dream now, has been flawless the last 300+ rounds. I've shot Remington, Winchester, Blazer Brass, and American Eagle, mostly FMJ's, some HP. Love my gun, hope it holds together.

The recoil rod assembly is probably the single most important piece of the CPX. What I mean by that is when the recoil rod gets chewed up it can cause many different issues from simple feed problems to cracked slides. My original CPX-1 cracked 3 slides due to chewed recoil rods. Keep an eye on the rod. It should be smooth and without any worn or uneven spots. The instant you notice any wear on the recoil rod call SCCY and ask for a replacement.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion