Sccy cpx-1 safety question

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Sccy cpx-1 safety question

Postby AzJim » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Is there a way to make the safety stiffer or harder to manipulate? I emailed Sccy on Friday morning and got a response within 2 hours. They wanted to know the serial number of my gun. I responded but haven't heard back since.

Thanks
CPX-1 CB
CPX-2 CBDE
AzJim

Re: Sccy cpx-1 safety question

Postby HootmonSccy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:22 pm

AzJim wrote:Is there a way to make the safety stiffer or harder to manipulate? I emailed Sccy on Friday morning and got a response within 2 hours. They wanted to know the serial number of my gun. I responded but haven't heard back since.

Thanks

Jim;
Don't take this wrong.. I had a Gen 1 SCCY with a Safety, and upgraded to a Gen II with a Safety, then just went to a CPX-2..
On a Double action only pistol, what do you need a safety for?? It will not accidentally go off, if the 8 lb trigger pull and long travel are exercised, it was intentional..
Otherwise you will need to increase the spring tension (stiffer spring) or increase the detent on the lever to increase resistance.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby AzJim » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:39 pm

hi Hootmonsccy,

I hear ya. My wife if extremely gun phobic. We have twin 11 yr old daughters. My wife demands an external safety on all firearms in the house. I've had the talk with her about proper gun safety, dao trigger pull, etc...it is was it is. Thanks for the info. Do you know if Sccy sends out parts to make the safety stiffer?
CPX-1 CB
CPX-2 CBDE
AzJim

Postby wrench459 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:41 pm

WARNING use the following info at your own risk.

Three parts that you might want to look at for modification.
01-015 spring
01-049 lever
01-024
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:44 am

AzJim wrote:hi Hootmonsccy,

I hear ya. My wife if extremely gun phobic. We have twin 11 yr old daughters. My wife demands an external safety on all firearms in the house. I've had the talk with her about proper gun safety, dao trigger pull, etc...it is was it is. Thanks for the info. Do you know if Sccy sends out parts to make the safety stiffer?

Jim
You have to do, what you have to do, to protect your family. Sounds like you have made a compromise to achieve your goal, which I applaud.
You have a couple of suggestions, Parkerd would recommend another gun not matter er what your comment, so take that with a grain of salt.
Good luck with your situation.. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone and call SCCY
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby AzJim » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 pm

I contacted Sccy. They said I could send my firearm in and they could make the safety stiffer OR they would convert it to a cpx-2, free of charge. Just the cost of shipping.
CPX-1 CB
CPX-2 CBDE
AzJim

Postby wrench459 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:59 pm

AzJim wrote:I contacted Sccy. They said I could send my firearm in and they could make the safety stiffer OR they would convert it to a cpx-2, free of charge. Just the cost of shipping.

If where me I would up grade to CPX-2.
Second thought that's exactly what I did.

Sent my -1 in and had it converted to a -2.

Life is good :kickback:

Now you can trim a few of the parts of the -1 to act more like a -2
EDIT mod part # 01-048
All ya got to do is roll the edge a touch.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby bigdee » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:02 pm

AzJim wrote:Is there a way to make the safety stiffer or harder to manipulate? I emailed Sccy on Friday morning and got a response within 2 hours. They wanted to know the serial number of my gun. I responded but haven't heard back since.

Thanks

Easy fix on mine. I removed left safety lever and using a dremel tool I removed the detent angle/ramp (made it steeper) on the side that allows it to move into the safe position. I left the other side (ramp) alone which allows it to easily move from safe to fire. To move it to safe takes a bit more force and is less likely to accidentally get bumped into safe position.
bigdee

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion