NOOB observations. Sorry.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: NOOB observations. Sorry.

Postby TomVA » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 am

Is there a general consensus here that switching to a Galloway 20 lb spring would definitely reduce the probability of failures to feed? Would using this spring affect SCCY's warranty? I love my CPX2 but have had a few FTFs, which makes me a little nervous.

TomVA
TomVA

Postby getvicious » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:13 pm

TomVA wrote:Is there a general consensus here that switching to a Galloway 20 lb spring would definitely reduce the probability of failures to feed? Would using this spring affect SCCY's warranty? I love my CPX2 but have had a few FTFs, which makes me a little nervous.

TomVA

Doubtful - I don't think enough people here have used their recoil rod / spring conversion to say there's a general consensus one way or the other. It does seem that the people who have used them are satisfied with their experience.
No, but if you send the pistol to SCCY for work with aftermarket parts installed SCCY will replace them with OEM parts when they return your pistol.
Having checked the various things that can effect proper operation, have you called SCCY about your fail to feed issues?
You might check to see that the mag springs are in the correct way (high point under the front of the follower).
You might polish your feed ramp.
When you had the FTF, were the mags clean and lightly lubed?
When you had the FTF, was your pistol clean and lubed?
Don't take this wrong but is it possible your grip wasn't solid (limp wrist)? These light pistols are susceptible to malfunction due to weak grip.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby economod » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:29 pm

TomVA ... I don't know if the recoil assembly is a restricted part now, or if it can still be mailed directly to you.
You might call sccy and ask for a new one ... even intact, they don't last forever. hth
economod
Veteran Member

Postby juror » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:33 pm

TomVA wrote:Is there a general consensus here that switching to a Galloway 20 lb spring would definitely reduce the probability of failures to feed? Would using this spring affect SCCY's warranty? I love my CPX2 but have had a few FTFs, which makes me a little nervous.

TomVA

I've had problems getting to battery since the beginning, you can read about it at the start of this thread.

SCCY sent me a new recoil spring which was MUCH stiffer than the original, but it did NOT help much with my FTB problems. Now my gun is feeding perfectly, and I decided to compare the newer spring with the old one; I can detect no difference between them now. Evidently the springs soften significantly with use.

At this point I think the main problem my gun had with feeding was due to the magazines. Both had problems, but one was worse than the other. The springs were reversed in both, and that prevented hold-open on empty. But mainly, the mags weren't releasing the cartridges smoothly. I attribute that to the stiffness of the mag springs and sharp edges on the underside of the feed lips on the magazines. The mag springs, as many have previously stated, soften if they are left full of ammo, which I did. Also, I smoothed and polished the underside of the mag feed lips, and hand cycled the gun many times. I could see and hear the gun smooth out, and now there is little or no scoring on the cartridge cases like there was before. I suspect running a thousand rounds through the gun would have accomplished about the same thing.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby TomVA » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:07 am

I know my first FTF was caused by limp wristing as I had not heard of the term at the time and was purposely holding the gun loosely. I tightened my grip thereafter. I had two or three more somewhere around 100 rounds through, and did a thorough cleaning and lubrication, as well as polished the ramp. No more since (about another 100 rounds) so hopefully it was just breaking in. The slide always remains open after the last round in both magazines, so is this a good indication that the springs are installed correctly? I'll examine the underside of the magazine feed lips for sharp edges.

This gun seems to be more sensitive in feeding rounds from the magazine, as it will not feed properly from sling-shotting the slide like my other semis - I have to use the slide release as the manual says.

Thanks!

TomVA
TomVA

Postby juror » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:41 pm

TomVA: "The slide always remains open after the last round in both magazines, so is this a good indication that the springs are installed correctly? "

I'd say so, but I'd check the springs anyway since it only takes about 2 minutes per mag. And, backward springs can contribute to an ftf problem because the cartridge is not sitting at the correct angle when it hits the feed ramp.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Yeoman » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 pm

I got the 20lb Wolff springs installed on the stock guide rod. They were the same length as the stock springs in my case. I haven't shot it yet with the new springs but I feel like loading the first round by slingshotting the slide works better, which was the goal.
A man does evil enough if he does nothing good.
Yeoman

Postby juror » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Yeoman; Hey, thanks for the update. Please let us know how it shoots.
juror
Forum Regular

Previous

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion