NOOB observations. Sorry.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

NOOB observations. Sorry.

Postby juror » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Just got my CPX2 and have not fired it yet. I am amused that to remove the slide, I have to push down the recoil spring guide rod, and push it down again for reassembly. Doesn't bother me, in fact it makes take-down kind of fun. I can do it in the dark.

With the slide removed, the cpx is like a Fisher Price. Light, hollow, plastic, empty. The trigger is clicky. Capguns from my youth had way more substance. Balance is added with a full magazine. And, regarding the trigger, 2 things. It is as smooth, and lighter, than my S&W 65 revolver. And while my Smith gives 2 clicks during trigger pull, the SCCY conveniently allows my trigger finger to touch the grip just before firing. Nice.

The SCCY is a very lightweight, high-capacity carry gun, meant for medium duty, IMHO. So far, it is just what I wanted, and I'll report back.
juror
Forum Regular

Re: NOOB observations. Sorry.

Postby getvicious » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13 pm

juror wrote:Just got my CPX2 and have not fired it yet. I am amused that to remove the slide, I have to push down the recoil spring guide rod, and push it down again for reassembly. Doesn't bother me, in fact it makes take-down kind of fun. I can do it in the dark.

With the slide removed, the cpx is like a Fisher Price. Light, hollow, plastic, empty. The trigger is clicky. Capguns from my youth had way more substance. Balance is added with a full magazine. And, regarding the trigger, 2 things. It is as smooth, and lighter, than my S&W 65 revolver. And while my Smith gives 2 clicks during trigger pull, the SCCY conveniently allows my trigger finger to touch the grip just before firing. Nice.

The SCCY is a very lightweight, high-capacity carry gun, meant for medium duty, IMHO. So far, it is just what I wanted, and I'll report back.

Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us. Let us know how it works for you.
Welcome to plastic pistols. That pretty much describes all of them in my experience.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby juror » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Thank you, getvicious.

I love plastic pistols, and my Fisher Price comment was not a put-down :)

I don't know of a lighter 10+1 9mm; that, and the price, are why I bought it. Can't wait to fire it.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:55 pm

juror wrote:Thank you, getvicious.

I love plastic pistols, and my Fisher Price comment was not a put-down :)

I don't know of a lighter 10+1 9mm; that, and the price, are why I bought it. Can't wait to fire it.

Hey, no problem. I agree. To me, plastic guns feel like toys - but they work great and are a lot lighter. I've thought that ever since basic training, back in the day, and shooting the M16 for the first time. 8)

My CPX is a good example. Loaded with 11 rounds it weighs the same as my wife's Firestorm .380 loaded with 7 rounds.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 am

I completely agree, the trigger on the CBX is like a DA revolver. Something I grew up with and shot a lot of. And my trigger has smoothed out after 500 rounds and is very safe and usable.

My shooting buddy commented when I asked how is the reset. "What reset?!?!" LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Forum Regular

Postby juror » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:29 am

In my first post on this thread I mentioned the problem I had with slide sticking, taking it down and reassembling. Well, last week I made the rookie mistake of replacing the slide with the barrel retracted so, of course, the slide froze solid. I couldn't find on this forum how to fix it- I'm pretty sure I saw that here- so I called SCCY.

Well, I'm here to say, their service for me was excellent. Within a few minutes I had a tech on the line, and he told me how to fix it, piece of cake. I had told him about the slide sticking problem, and he said he'd send me a new spring unit just in case. Oddly enough, after this mishap, the slide sticking went away entirely.

So...

I took my CPX-2 to the range today.

The good: I like the trigger. Of course I'd prefer a light trigger with a short pull, like a single action auto or my S&W revolver when it's cocked. But I absolutely do not want a gun which needs a safety to be safely carried in SA mode, so here we are. I WD 40'd in the trigger well and around the hammer, so the pull on my gun is silky smooth, no crunchies at all. It is easy to stage the trigger so only a slight pull fires, consistent and easy to learn. Dealing with the long reset is just a matter of habit, but if you want to machine-gun, this ain't the pistol for you. I rarely shoot, but the groups I got at 7 yards with the SCCY were satisfactory for killin' the bad guy, especially the first time out.

The bad: I had NO failure to feed, fire or eject, but multiple failure to return to battery, where a slap on the slide moved it into firing position. I thought this situation would improve with use, but it seemed to get worse. The first magazine had no problems; later on, even the first round, chambered by using the slide release, failed to battery. Firing and ejection remained flawless.

What to do? Later at home, I decided to trade out the spring assembly with the new one SCCY sent. The used one wasn't bent and showed no sign of gouging, just some minor wear. But when I compared the compression strength with the new spring, WOW! I don't have any way to measure, but I'd say the new spring is 30-40% stiffer than the old one. The difference is unbelievable. I decided to do an A-B blindfold test to make sure, but the first spring I picked up was the used one and was
so weak I didn't need to compare it with the other one to know which one I had.

When I first got the CPX-2, I thought, man, this thing's really easy to rack, way easier than my LCP. I chalked it up to a bigger, easier to grip slide. Now I think it had a weak spring assembly. I'll report back.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Lefty Red » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 am

Yeah, sounds like a bad recoil Spring assembly. My buddy's CBX2 assembly broke first day out, within 20 rounds. May of had a bad bad batch.

And yeah, the polymer and aluminum used in pistols now is amazing toy like but WAY more durable and strong than when I was a kid. Friend bought a Kimber Ultra Carry 2 and we broke it down and was cleaning it and the frame felt like molded plastic! Felt like it could snap if dropped. Well it's from aircraft grade aluminum and strong as hell! Just amazing how they can make products these days.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Forum Regular

Postby juror » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:59 am

I think I read somewhere that SCCY manufactures everything except their springs. I can see where it might be problematic to ensure spring tension over time, you'd kind of have to depend on your suppliers reputation. Maybe SCCY needs to look at that.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby economod » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:26 am

juror wrote: ... multiple failure to return to battery ...
... I'd say the new spring is 30-40% stiffer than the old one. ...

When my cpx came back from its first factory repair (Jun'15), the new recoil spring was noticeably stronger than the original. Others have observed this as well.
Return to battery failures in new weapons is a more recent commonality, perhaps more than coincidence.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby juror » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:20 am

OK, I shot it with the new recoil spring, alas no joy. 100 winchester white box 115 fmjs. Probably 10-15 failed battery returns, and only 1 (!) hold-open on empty mag.

It would seem that I'm going backward except: fewer FRBs with the new spring, and I was shooting pretty tight groups even with the hiccups.

Well..

Research on sccyforum.com and I determined my mag springs were backward. BOTH OF THEM.

Visual inspection confirmed that the tab on the follower that pushes up the slide release was not protruding from the mag enough to stop the slide. Problem solved. This issue did not require a range confirmation.

Regarding accuracy, I'm not saying the CPX2 is more accurate than my Smith 4" mod 65 revolver, only that I have been able to shoot more accurately with it, even shooting the 65 single action with 38s. The SCCY trigger, while long, is easily staged, and, face it, the sights are way better than the 65's.

Frankly, I'm tired of the gun snooty websites who say the only reason to buy a sccy is price. I wanted a high capacity 9mm, short length and height, thin, light, smooth and pocket carryable. Other than Kel-Tec, the closest I found is Nano single stack, which is pocketable with the 6 rd mag, but questionable with the 8+1, a half-pound heavier, and still short of sccy's 10+1. If you have a suggestion under a pound and 10 rounds or more, please let me know :)
juror
Forum Regular

Postby juror » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Today was the first time at the range since I fixed my magazines. I rotated the springs and buffed the sharp edges on the under-side of the top of the magazine which were scoring the brass. This seemed to make manual extraction of cartridges smoother.

I only had 40 rounds to shoot so I just took one magazine. Success! Only 1 failure to battery, which I know was a limp wrist. And the slide never failed to lock back on the last shot. For some reason when I concentrate on squeezing the trigger instead of pulling it, I also relax my wrist resulting in a FTB. But even with my crappy form, groups at 7 yards were acceptable for up-close self defense; this gun is easy to shoot.

I feel like the holy grail of a dependable CPX-2 is within reach.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:51 am

I find shooting my CPX quickly works much better than slowly.

A quick, smooth trigger pull works much much than trying to slowly pull the trigger. When I do it slowly (like trying to stage the trigger) I tend to pull off the target aim point slightly.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby juror » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:10 pm

getvicious wrote:I find shooting my CPX quickly works much better than slowly.

A quick, smooth trigger pull works much much than trying to slowly pull the trigger. When I do it slowly (like trying to stage the trigger) I tend to pull off the target aim point slightly.

Thanks for the tip.

The CPX's stiff trigger pull certainly makes staging tiresome. I'll try it your way and see if it works for me.
juror
Forum Regular

Quality of newer vs older CPX2s?

Postby ge33913 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:18 pm

My search didn't turn up any posts relating to quality issues of newer vs older CPX2s. I have an older one, and it had problems right out of the box. A return to the factory didn't resolve all of the issues, but it did finally go into battery without a strong TAP after a break in of about 400 rounds.

While I had read about a fix for lightening the trigger, they wouldn't do it. Also, have they made the reset any shorter?

Has anyone on here bought both an older and a newer CPX2, and did you notice any differences between the two? I saw a piece on Sportsman's Channel tonight about SCCY and wondered whether their products are more trouble-free today.
ge33913

Postby juror » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:50 am

Thanks to everyone on this forum. Frankly, without the advice I found here I would have been very frustrated with my gun.

Now I have confidence in my CPX2; over 100 rounds without any kind of failure.

Where else can you get a state-of-the-art American manufactured 9mm 11+1, 15 oz. pistol with 2 magazines and a lifetime transferable warranty?
juror
Forum Regular

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion