NOOB observations. Sorry.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: NOOB observations. Sorry.

Postby ursamajor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 pm

juror wrote:In my first post on this thread I mentioned the problem I had with slide sticking, taking it down and reassembling. Well, last week I made the rookie mistake of replacing the slide with the barrel retracted so, of course, the slide froze solid. I couldn't find on this forum how to fix it- I'm pretty sure I saw that here- so I called SCCY.

Well, I'm here to say, their service for me was excellent. Within a few minutes I had a tech on the line, and he told me how to fix it, piece of cake. I had told him about the slide sticking problem, and he said he'd send me a new spring unit just in case. Oddly enough, after this mishap, the slide sticking went away entirely.

So...

I took my CPX-2 to the range today.

The good: I like the trigger. Of course I'd prefer a light trigger with a short pull, like a single action auto or my S&W revolver when it's cocked. But I absolutely do not want a gun which needs a safety to be safely carried in SA mode, so here we are. I WD 40'd in the trigger well and around the hammer, so the pull on my gun is silky smooth, no crunchies at all. It is easy to stage the trigger so only a slight pull fires, consistent and easy to learn. Dealing with the long reset is just a matter of habit, but if you want to machine-gun, this ain't the pistol for you. I rarely shoot, but the groups I got at 7 yards with the SCCY were satisfactory for killin' the bad guy, especially the first time out.

The bad: I had NO failure to feed, fire or eject, but multiple failure to return to battery, where a slap on the slide moved it into firing position. I thought this situation would improve with use, but it seemed to get worse. The first magazine had no problems; later on, even the first round, chambered by using the slide release, failed to battery. Firing and ejection remained flawless.

What to do? Later at home, I decided to trade out the spring assembly with the new one SCCY sent. The used one wasn't bent and showed no sign of gouging, just some minor wear. But when I compared the compression strength with the new spring, WOW! I don't have any way to measure, but I'd say the new spring is 30-40% stiffer than the old one. The difference is unbelievable. I decided to do an A-B blindfold test to make sure, but the first spring I picked up was the used one and was
so weak I didn't need to compare it with the other one to know which one I had.

When I first got the CPX-2, I thought, man, this thing's really easy to rack, way easier than my LCP. I chalked it up to a bigger, easier to grip slide. Now I think it had a weak spring assembly. I'll report back.

With the stock assembly, you cannot ease the slide closed. The stock spring is too weak to overcome the extractor without momentum.

But with a 20lbs spring...say goodbye to those issues.

If you only buy 1 accessory/part for your SCCY, I'd strongly recommend making it a 20lbs spring kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Postby juror » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am

ursamajor: "If you only buy 1 accessory/part for your SCCY, I'd strongly recommend making it a 20lbs spring kit."

Funny you should mention that because I've been thinking about getting one. I've heard they reduce felt recoil and are easier on the gun. Is that true? Do you mind saying where you got yours?
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Yeoman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:54 am

I read somewhere on here that the P11 springs from Wolff Gun Springs will work on the standard SCCY guide rod.

https://www.gunsprings.com/KELTEC/P11/cID1/mID31/dID148

I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't say how well it works but I've read in a couple of different places that it helps with reliability. I doubt it does much for recoil. It was about $13 with the cheapest shipping option.
A man does evil enough if he does nothing good.
Yeoman

Postby juror » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:26 pm

"I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't say how well it works but I've read in a couple of different places that it helps with reliability. I doubt it does much for recoil. It was about $13 with the cheapest shipping option."

I saw where galloway has the springs and rod for $35! Yike, that's nearly 15% of the cost of the gun!
juror
Forum Regular

Postby ursamajor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:01 am

Yeoman wrote:I read somewhere on here that the P11 springs from Wolff Gun Springs will work on the standard SCCY guide rod.

https://www.gunsprings.com/KELTEC/P11/cID1/mID31/dID148

I ordered one but it hasn't arrived yet so I can't say how well it works but I've read in a couple of different places that it helps with reliability. I doubt it does much for recoil. It was about $13 with the cheapest shipping option.

I tried the 20 lbs Wolff P11 spring. It is shorter than the SCCY's. ended up going with the Galloway. If you want my Wolff, send me your shipping info.

Not much felt difference with the Wolff, slightly less felt recoil with the Galloway. IMHO the Galloway feels stronger than the Wolff.

Also, the slide can be eased down, and the ejector won't stop it from returning to full battery.

I've seen underpowered recoil springs lead to cracks. I've heard about it with SCCYs and KelTecs, and seen it first hand with an EAA Witness. The Witness comes with a 16 lbs spring as well.

Last time out, I intentionally limp wristed an entire magazine of aluminum cased Federal 115gr FMJs...not a single cycling issue.

200 rounds, and no failures. When I first got the gun, I only ran 100 rounds. I had about 10 failures and a trip back to SCCY with a busted takedown pin, and its retaining spring coming out.

The stronger recoil spring means less stress on the rest of the gun. Those 4 lbs makes a huge difference.

ursamajor

Postby ursamajor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:07 am

I also wanted to add, I think that many gun shops do a disservice to the customer. They display their guns with the slide locked open. No doubt, this fatigues the recoil spring. No different than leaving a magazine loaded for an extended period.

ursamajor

Postby juror » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:01 am

Well, I'm a cheapskate. Got it from my Mom, who could squeeze a dollar 'till Washington's eyes bled, according to some.

Will I buy a $35 spring for a fully functioning $255 gun with a lifetime warranty?
juror
Forum Regular

Postby ursamajor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:35 am

juror wrote:Well, I'm a cheapskate. Got it from my Mom, who could squeeze a dollar 'till Washington's eyes bled, according to some.

Will I buy a $35 spring for a fully functioning $255 gun with a lifetime warranty?

The price was not a consideration for me with the SCCY. Nor was it when I had my KelTec. I have knives that have cost me over a grand. I also have pricier guns.

For me, it's the size and weight. The CPX 2 and P11 are effectively the smallest/lightest pocket nines that have 11 round capacities.

The SCCY is a smidge bigger, but more comfortable for me in hand. I'm 6'5" and I like the thicker handle. Whereas the grip extenders that you can get for the KelTec make the magazine a PITA to insert.

The SCCY is not hard on the eyes, either.

ursamajor

Postby juror » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:48 am

"The price was not a consideration... I have knives that have cost me over a grand."

That's cool, I wish I could be that way.

But I think $35 for an optional spring upgrade is a little much for some of us.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby ursamajor » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:39 am

juror wrote:"The price was not a consideration... I have knives that have cost me over a grand."

That's cool, I wish I could be that way.

But I think $35 for an optional spring upgrade is a little much for some of us.
Like I said, if you want it, you can have the 20lbs Wolff Spring I am no longer using.

ursamajor

Postby juror » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:48 pm

"Like I said, if you want it, you can have the 20lbs Wolff Spring I am no longer using."

Hey, that's really nice, thanks!

Since you don't think the Wolff Spring works that well, and my gun is functioning perfectly (at least with the ammo I'm using now), I think I'll wait until a reasonably priced spring made for the CPX2 appears on the market. Maybe someone else needs your spring more than I do; thanks again.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Yeoman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:58 pm

I'll try the Wolff spring first since it's already on its way and if I'm not satisfied I'll get the Galloway spring.
Yeoman

Postby juror » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:54 pm

Yeoman wrote:I'll try the Wolff spring first since it's already on its way and if I'm not satisfied I'll get the Galloway spring.

Will you please let us know how it works for you?
juror
Forum Regular

Postby Yeoman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:11 pm

Yep, will do.
Yeoman

Postby ursamajor » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:22 pm

juror wrote:"Like I said, if you want it, you can have the 20lbs Wolff Spring I am no longer using."

Hey, that's really nice, thanks!

Since you don't think the Wolff Spring works that well, and my gun is functioning perfectly (at least with the ammo I'm using now), I think I'll wait until a reasonably priced spring made for the CPX2 appears on the market. Maybe someone else needs your spring more than I do; thanks again.

It was not that I didn't think it functioned well-I had no issues from it, I just didn't think it was making a significantly perceivable difference in recoil or anything else, other than no failures (I had several failures with the stock spring).

There is a noticeable difference with the Galloway however. And still zero failures.

SCCY, for the time being, has a great warranty no doubt. However, history has shown that with firearms, there is a strong likelihood that a lifetime warranty won't actually come close to in fact, lasting a lifetime.

For example Rossi offered a lifetime warranty when they were imported by Interarms. Then Taurus bought them. Now, even though they are identical, and built on the same machines, all Pre Taurus Rossi firearms, are no longer recognized, no longer warranted, and replacement parts are no longer provided.

The only certainty, is uncertainty. I want to get my gun in tip top operation, and do the things necessary to keep it that was for as long as possible. Because the odds are, one day, these guns will no longer be warranted.

ursamajor

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion