Cracked slide

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Cracked slide

Postby 1964nova » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:57 am

Went to the range yesterday and had several FTF and FTE from my CPX2 which is usually reliable. I noticed the front frame pin had walked out a bit so I pushed it back in. When I got home I broke down the gun to clean it and realized the slide had cracked in the rear where it mates with the frame slide. Has anyone else seen a failure like this?
1964nova

Re: Cracked slide

Postby economod » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:27 pm

I read some of your previous posts. Seems your pistol had alignment issues right out of the box.
How many rounds has it fired? When one door closes, another door opens.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby 1964nova » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:49 pm

The gun has had issues but since they replaced the barrel it has run pretty well. I don't take the CPX2 to the range that often but usually use my other pistols. I have around 1000 rounds through it with about the last 400 with no issues until yesterday. With a walking frame pin and a cracked slide I don't know which caused the FTF and FTE but I've never had cracked slide on a pistol before.
1964nova

Postby economod » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:49 am

A fatigued recoil assembly likely contributed to both the functional and structural failures.
Compounded by the receiver's pourly constrained movement due to the displaced frame pin.
Hopefully they will replace the slide, whether it was itself defective, or the result of other intrinsic problems.
Regardless of the outcome, the slide of a $250 pistol should be expected to last more than a thousand rounds.

Certainly it's only ever fired factory ammo, and never been custom modified in any way (no questions asked).
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby 1964nova » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:02 am

Thanks for your thoughts. Sccy has been good at repairing the gun in the past and I don't anticipate any issues this time. The slide cracked at the rear where the slot engages the slide rails on the frame. The cracked propagated from a sharp corner in the slot and runs along the side of the slide for about 1/2". I don't see how there would be any side loading in this area that would crack the slide. It looks like a little bit of a radius in the corner would have prevented this without interfering on the corner of the frame rail. Anyway, I'll pack it up and wait for a UPS label from SCCY.
1964nova

Postby getvicious » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 am

1964nova - I've not heard of a slide cracking at the rear, like you mention, that I can remember. There were some reports of cracked slides near the front, in front of the disassembly pin cutout on the left side. But all those were the 1st Gen models. My 1st Gen pistol cracked 3 slides like that.

All those also had badly chewed recoil rods, including mine. I thought the chewed recoil rod caused the slide to chatter side to side and caused the crack as the slide hit the front of the left rail as it moved after firing a round. How does your recoil rod look?

Check out the link below. It has some good pictures of what I'm talking about.

http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12877&hilit=cracked+slide
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 1964nova » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 pm

I thought that it was strange that the slide cracked in the rear also until I looked at it closely. The slot that the frame rails ride in has sharp corners at the top and the crack propagated from one of those corners. Also, the slot is positionally offset by .010" meaning the wall thickness is .055" on one side and .045" on the cracked side which probably added to the weakness in the corner. I didn't check the hardness of the slide material, but will, which may be another factor contributing to the crack.
1964nova

Postby sccytoter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm

1964nova wrote:I thought that it was strange that the slide cracked in the rear also until I looked at it closely. The slot that the frame rails ride in has sharp corners at the top and the crack propagated from one of those corners. Also, the slot is positionally offset by .010" meaning the wall thickness is .055" on one side and .045" on the cracked side which probably added to the weakness in the corner. I didn't check the hardness of the slide material, but will, which may be another factor contributing to the crack.

Some clown did not seat those slides properly while machining. I would imagine those slide rails are held to within .005 TIR...well, are supposed to be anyways. I can't think they would be allowed .010 on position notes, not on slide rails anyway.

Beretta had a problem with cracked slides on their first 92's, and also their model 3032 Tomcats. The 92 got fixed right away, but it took them longer on the 3032's...I know because I had one that cracked a frame once, but they replaced it.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby 1964nova » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for your comments. You seem to know about machining precision parts. I think they probably hold the tolerance tighter than .010" for the position of the slot but things happen in production that is real world in manufacturing. Tool wear, fixture alignment creep, crashes, under trained operators, etc. I understand these issues and when production is increasing and sales are growing sometimes it's hard to get your arms around the process. That being said, they need to review their process and continue to improve it to get out from under their quality issues.
1964nova

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion