New Purchase

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

New Purchase

Postby gstone » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Hello all, new here and looking for some advise on a purchase. I have recently discovered SCCY firearms and I am in the market for a new 9mm for concealed carry. I got to check out the CPX 2 at a local store the other day but unfortunately we have no gun ranges in my area or an adjacent area where one can rent and try out a firearm before purchasing. So I am looking for some honest opinions on a few guns im considering. I liked the Sccy in hand except for that trigger, which seems to be the biggest complaint and it feels a little wide from back to front on the grip. I am guessing this is easily overcome with practice though. So my question is and this might be one sided since its a Sccy forum ;) but if you could buy one of these what would you choose.

Sccy CPX 2
Taurus 709 Slim
Taurus PT 111 G2 (Seems they have jumped in price so not sure on this one)
Keltec P11 or PF 9
Ruger LCP 2 (380 I know but i like it, hate the ammo price)
DiamondBack DB9

Those are the ones ive found in my price range of around 250.00 the Sccy being the most expensive unless the pt111 has really went up to 300 as a friend told me. (not confirmed yet) but even so the Sccy is only 265 here so still in my range. I know i added the lcp in there that is a 380, im not hung up on ammo size or anything and fully believe a 380 would be fine for carry but they are about double in price around here for the same box of 50. Our local wally mart used to sell Prefecta for 12.00 a box in 380 but stopped selling them the last fall so now Winchester White Box is the cheapest and its 18.64 a box, Federal alum. 9mm is 8.99 a box and brass is 11.xx a box for fmj target loads. So give me your honest input, and from people who have had experience with these, not all mind you but some real world experience not "gun expert" advise to wait and buy a Sig. I got kids and bills so not gonna be able to invest that much. Thanks all, looking forward to hearing from you.
gstone

Re: New Purchase

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 am

What is your shooting experience? Is this your first gun?
Sounds like your hand would fit the 111-G2 very well.
The 709 and LCP2 are also respectable choices.
9mm Ammo Length . SCCY Wood Shims . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby gstone » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:58 am

Well I have been shooting a while but mostly rifles and shotguns, ive owned a few hand guns, my first ever was a Hipoint 380 bought back in 2007 after a home invasion. I didnt have a lot of money, newly married and my brother in law suggested it so i bought it, kept that gun for years and shot it a lot (only fmj's wouldnt feed jhp ammo reliability). Ended up selling it and bought a Phoenix Arms 22lr with the range kit (3" and 5" barrels included) that was a fun little gun, always worked great and was dead eye accurate with it, carried it a little but never felt too comfy with only a 22lr. I still have that gun and take it out and plink around with it here and there, still my most accurate pistol. I got my ccdw last year and bought a Taurus TCP 738 .380 which I actually used to qualify with, I do pretty good with it at around 7-10 yards, but the wife has been carrying it a lot recently due to its small size and weight so I am looking for a new carry gun for me.

I am leaning towards the 9mm mainly due to ammo cost, seeing as 9mm is about half the price of .380 for target loads, mind you I have no issues paying 25 bucks a box for self defense ammo, just want to be able to practice with my carry gun and while i can somewhat practice with 380, i would be able to put twice as much range time in with 9mm. Ive been researching the Sccy cpx 2 (i hate a safety) and it seems like a really solid little gun, and a solid warranty from the reviews I have watched but I dont have a lot of experience with any of these guns, I have never shot any of them on the list (did shoot a Ruger LCP, liked the TCP better though, much better trigger) I hear the LCP 2 has a much better trigger too and its in my price range. I am a decent sized guy, 5'11'' and 230Lbs and while i liked the micro 380 its a bit small for my med. sized hands.
gstone

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:39 am

Thanks for the background info. 9mm ammo is certainly priced favorably.
I like a thumb safety on a SA pistol, and the 709 is my next choice for warm weather CC.
Since you're already accustomed to pocket guns, the LCP2 might be hard to beat.
I personally wouldn't consider another sccy, unless they improve the slippery frame pins and the long trigger reset. hth
VOTE! "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:37 am

Hi, I consider myself a pretty experienced shooter. I have a few options and they are free and I'm off work today so here we go. :)

First of all, pick the weapon that feels good to you and is something you will carry. If you don't like it or will carry it, it's just a range toy or home use only.

I have had my SCCY CPX 2 for right at 10 days now. I have been at the range for 9 of those days and have shoot 1525 rounds through it. No, I'm not rich just had a stock pile of TulAmmo and old reloads needed to be used up. I was very impressed with it. I didn't have a malfunction that wasn't because of the reloads or my buddy not gripping the pistol enough (aka limp writing). About the same amount I had with my G27 or MP Shield or XDS. Basically it wasn't the weapons fault. It's been flawless with the production ammo. I have noticed you have to keep a firm grip on the weapon, especially when it gets lighter from less ammo in it. I had a habit of lessening my grip and I got a stovepipe. It's common in light weight polymer framed pistols when it not secure in the hand. And this malfunction was when I would slow fire it. Never failed when I was moving and shooting or shooting quickly, two or three round at a time, at the targets. Just when I got lazy and relaxed.
My SCCY is my new carry weapon. I had a holster made for it and I feel completely confident on it. I love the trigger. I think it very safe to carry.

Buddy has the Taurus 709. It had to go back to Taurus for something, but it's back and work great. And I don't hold that against any company. I had a $900 Colt Defender go back to Colt three times, and the list of other companies and weapons is long. Seems like the companies are not giving most weapons a good checking before sending them out. The important thing is that the company has a good customer service. The only thing I didn't like about the 709 was the grip could have been a tad longer. I had problems getting a solid two finger hold on it. Personally, I think it has both the good and bad traits from Glock and M&P Shield. Great for the price of it fits you. Buddy carries his and it just melts into his side. We are both plus sized but still his Kel Tec PT11 prints like crazy! But not this 709.

The PT111 G2 is pretty nice. Little bulky for what it is, but I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I won't recommend the Kel Tecs. Just not worth it.

LCP 2 is pretty good. I like the SW M&P Bodyguard over the newer LCP. I think the trigger on the newer LCP Gen2 is too light and not safe for pocket or purse carry. The little "trigger safety" is going to give some people too much confidence in it. The LCP Gen1 Custom is my pick of the LCPs. But then I love the trigger on it. And the 7 round magazine is available.

The DB9 is a weapon I just would not have. I like the 380 version, the 9mm is a high pressure round and I just think the DB9 isn't going to be safe.

Also rans.........look at good used weapons as well. The Ruger LC9 or LC9s are both around $250 used. As is the SW M&P Shield, running $275ish used. Most weapons I see at the shops used are barely shot in. I picked up most of my weapons used, and at a big savings over the new prices. Right now, I now of three Taurus 709s in shops and they are all $200 OTD. Their owners were told they had a POS by people that have never shot them and they guys traded them in on "real" pistols (aka bigger name and more expensive). So look around. The used pistol with a couple of scratches will save you money.

And don't forget wheelguns! A Taurus 85 is running $225. Used S&W Airweights are around $325 used. I just picked up a LNIB EAA Windicator, 6 shot 357 mag 2" blued for $225 OTD. And revolvers do not need magazines.

One more thing to consider about buying a weapon for carry or shooting, magazines and holsters. What do they run? Are they reliable? Can I run down and pick one up for the gun shop or have it shipped quickly? Will my weapon fit it? The Taurus and SCCY have magazines around $25 each. Not bad. Ruger's are around $35 each. Shield is around $22. Semiauto's run on magazines and the most common malfunctioning part. Spares are nice as well.

About the SCCY's trigger. It's steady and it works. I like a long trigger with constant pressure though out the pull. Reminds me of a DA revolver. Doesn't stage either. It's isn't squishy or have slack in it. Just a very usable trigger and consistent. Range time with it is the only way you will learn it. Well and dry firing. The SCCY video about how to shoot it is very good and doesn't cost nothing to watch or to put into practice.

So good luck! Just watch out for hidden costs and figure your whole package cost and not just the weapon. Because these pistols are doing to need 200-400 practice rounds in them to break them in. Plus about 20 rounds (at least) of self defense ammo to make sure they function and POA is POI.

One last thing! Ammo, especially the expensive self defense ammo, is crazy high. I Carry Remington Green/White generic 115gr JHP. Also will carry the WWB 115gr JHP. I really do not see paying 3 or 4 times the price for the Gold Dots or Critic Defense. Just because it makes a pretty bullet in gel doesn't mean it will do the same in a body. And if you get a 380, the ammo price is high as hell with either.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:00 am

Also on the used gun market........Glock G42, the 380, is about $350 used. I think it's too big for what it is (same with the G43) but the things work and have great magazines at around $25 each.

Walter PPS are around $375 used, but the magazines are crazy at $40 each.

And my pick is the XDS. It's crazy thin and comfortable to carry. Magazines are not bad, $35. It's just. A good single stacked 9mm or 40 or 45. Can't stop praising it. I let mine go two years ago to my buddy and he carries it daily ever since. I will pick one up if I ever find one used again! They don't last long!

One more thing about the CBX's trigger, it is what it is. Or as my buddy said, "what reset?" LOL
No, it has no reset, meaning it's just slap the trigger and let it go all the way out to recycle. Once again, just like a DA revolver. When you practice enough with it, you adapt to it. It's just a tool, like any other weapon. They all have quirks each one of us don't like. But we adjust. I didn't have to adjust much because I love snub nose revolvers. I can shoot run very well. I've shot them for a long time. They are second nature to me. And for the love of all they is holy, I can't understand why their isn't more DAO pistol out there. I can drop in different Trigger springs in my Glocks, but they do not feel like a DAO trigger. Just a shitty and hard to pull "safe action" trigger.

LPC Gen1 are cheap! $199 for the regular and $219 for the Custom.

Lefty

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 am

Lefty Red wrote:... I think the trigger on the newer LCP Gen2 is too light and not safe for pocket or purse carry. ...

I agree with those words of caution about the light trigger on the LCP2.
Thanks for all of your insights.

Also, local Rural King has the Taurus' currently on sale ...
... PT709 for $230+tax
... PT111G2 for $240+tax includes two mags
But, I've seen them both priced less online at various times of the year.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 am

economod wrote:
Lefty Red wrote:... I think the trigger on the newer LCP Gen2 is too light and not safe for pocket or purse carry. ...

I agree with those words of caution about the light trigger on the LCP2.
Thanks for all of your insights.

Also, local Rural King has the Taurus' currently on sale ...
... PT709 for $230+tax
... PT111G2 for $240+tax includes two mags
But, I've seen them both priced less online at various times of the year.

Glad you posted that, because I have seen a fluctuation in the prices of the 709 lately. See the newer ones with a lower NiB price like you said while the older ones or a little higher. But I think the newest ones are better made and wish all of the improvements even if they have a crappier finish. I do like the stainless steel upper on them.

BTW, have you shot the 740?

Yeah, I really like the trigger and what Ruger has done with the Gen2 LCP. It way more shootable for everyone. I just wish they left the trigger alone, for Carry purpose. But then I like the original LC9 and not the LC9s, so I'm weird.

Once again free advice that worth every cent you paid for it. :)

Lefty, on his third cup of coffee

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:51 am

Oops! Forgot to include........
Always carry in a holster! Even in the purse or heavy jacket.

Lefty

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:17 am

I had a full-size Ruger P91 40 cal many years ago, cast aluminum frame.
It's an interesting round, but not as thrifty as 9mm.
I've shot my brother's LC9s, but have never owned a single stack 9mm myself.
I think the 709 is in my near future, with a finger extension base plate.

Have you had any experience with the 740?
Will you carry your cpx with the finger extension?
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:20 pm

economod wrote:I had a full-size Ruger P91 40 cal many years ago, cast aluminum frame.
It's an interesting round, but not as thrifty as 9mm.
I've shot my brother's LC9s, but have never owned a single stack 9mm myself.
I think the 709 is in my near future, with a finger extension base plate.

Have you had any experience with the 740?
Will you carry your cpx with the finger extension?

Yep, the 40 is an interesting caliber. I remember when it was the "new thing". I never warmed up to it.

I haven't shot one, and passed up a 740 with a SS upper for $250. Was worried the 40 was a bit much in such a light pistol. Even though I have the G27.

Flat base. Learned to shoot two fingers a few years ago and it really opened up a new type of pistol for me, the compact pistol.

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Yeah, I'm also apprehensive about the 40 in a lightweight, from a durability perspective.

I'm thinking the finger extension will help to draw from concealment.
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm

economod wrote:Yeah, I'm also apprehensive about the 40 in a lightweight.

I'm thinking the finger extension will help to draw from concealment.

It does. Anytime you can have a fuller grip on the weapon it on the draw and shooting is much easier. But the longer grip hinders concealment. So the shooter has to figure out their "zen" their balance of size and concealablity.

I meant to say pocket pistol, not compact pistols.

Now my new model M&P 380 Bodyguard has such a small "finger extension " that is doesn't hinder my draw from a pocket. Nor does the Sig P938's when wearing in a holster. But I have found the extensions on my G27 to be too big and prints.

Of course that is just on my Budda-ish body. :)

Lefty, who just traded for another CBX2 in Blk/Blk!

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:52 pm

Right ... two finger pocket pistol, yep.

I'm 6' 225, so a small finger extension isn't usually much of a problem.

Good zen!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:39 pm

6'1" at 285 here. But I find myself pocket carrying more and more. Just more comfortable. OWB second favorite, then IWB last. I can carry the 1911 Government if I IWB carry.

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion