New Purchase

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: New Purchase

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:04 pm

Also........

Been running around with buddies on this rainy day and hitting the gun shops. I traded for another SCCY Blk/Bill. But wish I had waited. Last gun shop had a Taurus PT111 G2 and it is awesome! $275 OTD NIB. Really thinking that will be a tax return gun! Seems to be a great balance between a single stack and double stack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:15 pm

Lefty Red wrote:6'1" at 285 here. But I find myself pocket carrying more and more. Just more comfortable. OWB second favorite, then IWB last. I can carry the 1911 Government if I IWB carry.

Yeah, I like to carry my B6P in a simple leather belt slide ... inside belt, OWB.
The long barrel is hidden under a winter jacket, but protrudes under a summer shirt.
Not real comfortable to carry IWB, and the long grip prints under a shirt more than I like.
So, maybe a 709 this spring.
Sccy WOOD Shims . Ammo OAL . CPX Sold
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. MLK Jr 1957
TRUMP -1y : Ignorant Lying Conman, Lawless Cheating Thief,
Cruel Racist Bully, Shameless Greedy Coward, Putin+MBS Pushover .. WTF?
economod
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Lefty Red wrote:Also........
Been running around with buddies on this rainy day and hitting the gun shops. I traded for another SCCY Blk/Bill. But wish I had waited. Last gun shop had a Taurus PT111 G2 and it is awesome! $275 OTD NIB. Really thinking that will be a tax return gun! Seems to be a great balance between a single stack and double stack.

My brother has a PT111G2 that I shoot when we're together ... very nice gun for the money ... has never failed.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:40 pm

economod wrote:
Lefty Red wrote:Also........

My brother has a PT111G2 that I shoot when we're together ... very nice gun for the money ... has never failed.

I thinking the PT111 G2 is just as concealable as the Shield or XDS or 709. IF so, its a game changer. I knew it was a solid pistol, but the more I handle it the more I think it or the CBX could pull off summer carry on the belt. It has a finger rest extension that needs to be changed to a flat base for me. But I'm thinking its my next 9mm. Really will have to compare it to the Shield and 709 and SCCY to see if I'm gaining anything beside another need for another holster. :)

Lefty
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:01 pm

I have two g2s, love them. $209 @ Kentucky gun.

http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=107071
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby gstone » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:32 pm

First off thank you Lefty for the wisdom you have shared with us, lots of very usable knowledge there for new and experienced shooters. Greatly appreciate you sharing and helping out.

Second, it would appear that unless a truck load of new guns gets here before next thursday my choices might be very limited. I done some checking around and found that most of the guns on my list are not available around here at the moment. Only one store has the lcp 2 and its priced at 300 since hes got no competition for it, the 111 G2 is also priced at 300, found one slim 709 300 as well, one blue Sccy Cpx1 for 375 (seems a bit pricey there) and a Diamondback db380 for 200. Leaves me with the Keltec P11 for 250 and Im leaning on it hard since its about all I can get in 9mm, no pf9's in stock anywhere.

Did have one shop try to sell me a Cobra 380 today, great price too only 185 out the door, compact, light (28oz i believe) had an awesome color to it too, blue frame/slide with white grips and included a holster as well as 2 mags. Absolutely great deal for only 185 but I had to hard pass on it. <----little comedy for you there, true story, but funny no less. Tried to tell me I wouldn't find a better deal on such a great gun. Thats where you get when 95% of your gun shops are combination gun/pawn shops. Might not be a firearms expert but I know crap when i see it, if you are not familiar with the Cobra line up they are basically remakes of the old Lorcin/Davis guns from the 80's and 90's in the line of the Jennings guns. Heres what it looked like in case you are wondering

I will keep looking for now, im buying next thursday so hopefully some stock will come in, online ordering is pointless around here, all the ffl dealers charge insane fees to receive and transfer a gun, like 50 to 75 dollars, might as well just buy locally by the time i pay the fees.
gstone

Postby scottselby » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:52 am

I bought a Sccy after a LOT of research and YouTube. My CPX2 shot well, but needed just a little polishing on the feed ramp. The trigger pull has not been a problem as I am a revolver shooter at heart. Overall the size of the gun is the same as a Bersa Thunder, just a bit thicker. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scottselby

Postby scottselby » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 am

I had a 709 for a while. It was great in the hand, but the size put the trigger safety in the joint of my index finger. This caused the safety to be engaged, locking the gun up. If I thought that I could train myself to use only the pad of my finger, I would get another in a heart beat. I do love my 111 though.Image

scottselby

Postby Lefty Red » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:40 pm

That has got to hurt! I don't know if I would buy them for that. But then I don't live there. Hate when stores jab it to you. And I'm sure they sell used for almost new prices. :(

Man, that is work pretty pistol! LOL yeah the Cobras are all around the cheap gun market. One store is selling them 2@$250, but they can't be he same color! LOL

I passed on a LNIB Orange/Blk SCCY yesterday that was used. Store had $250 on it and I offered $200 OTD. They wouldn't budged, but glad they didn't. I got a new Blk/Blk for my trade and some boot. :)

Lefty

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:20 pm

scottselby wrote:I had a 709 for a while. It was great in the hand, but the size put the trigger safety in the joint of my index finger. This caused the safety to be engaged, locking the gun up. If I thought that I could train myself to use only the pad of my finger, I would get another in a heart beat. I do love my 111 though.

That's one thing that I don't like so much about my brother's 111G2 ... the short trigger reach, even with the Pachmayr sleeve. The trigger breaks very deep, which pokes a lot of finger through the trigger guard, with my long finger pointing back at me. Ends up like you described, with the trigger sliding up to the first joint. Not sure I could get to like that. I can see how the 709, being more slender, could exacerbate the issue. Thanks. I'll look for that next time I hold a 709.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:27 pm

scottselby wrote:I had a 709 for a while. It was great in the hand, but the size put the trigger safety in the joint of my index finger. This caused the safety to be engaged, locking the gun up. If I thought that I could train myself to use only the pad of my finger, I would get another in a heart beat. I do love my 111 though.Image

I love the SS/Blk look that Taurus does. Had a TCP738 with the SS upper and it was sharp looking.

I have to say I think the PT11 G2 is the best thing going and can replace most single stacked 9mms at its price and dimensions.

Lefty

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:43 pm

Lefty Red wrote:I love the SS/Blk look that Taurus does. Had a TCP738 with the SS upper and it was sharp looking.

I have to say I think the PT11 G2 is the best thing going and can replace most single stacked 9mms at its price and dimensions.

Lefty

The 738SS comes with two mags for $230+tax ... that's my next choice.
Haven't had a pocket 380 since an AccuTek many years ago ... it was all SS & just too heavy.
Realistically, I'd probably carry a TCP even more often than a 709.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 pm

economod wrote:
Lefty Red wrote:I love the SS/Blk look that Taurus does. Had a TCP738 with the SS upper and it was sharp looking.

Lefty

The 738SS comes with two mags for $230+tax ... that's my next choice.
Haven't had a pocket 380 since an AccuTek many years ago ... it was all SS & just too heavy.
Realistically, I'd probably carry a TCP even more often than a 709.

You most likely will. When I'm in sweats (which is a lot because I'm in an uniform all day) or bibs, I have a 380 or my Sig 938 or one of my snub noses on me in a pocket. I carry an Officer sized 1911 when I wear jeans and a good belt. Or a belly band for a single stacked 9mm or the SCCY (when it gets thru it's break in period).

When you get the 738, I have a Taurus magazine and a Pach grip sleeve if you want it. Magazine was never used. I have the new version of the M&P 380 Bodyguard with out the laser for my 380 fix. I like the DAO trigger for these small pistols.

Lefty

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:47 pm

That's a very generous offer. I'll see what pans out in the next several weeks. Thanks!
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:10 am

economod wrote:That's a very generous offer. I'll see what pans out in the next several weeks. Thanks!

No problem. The only problem I had with my TCP738 was it was very ammo sensitive. It would only feed hardball that was GELCO brand. And it's not a common thing around here. I couldn't het any reloads to fire through it, consistently. And it was a PITA to reload 380s! Cases are thin and would bulge and needed to be ran through my Lee Bulge Buster before loading and after!

But the thing would eat Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FXTs all day long! Couldn't afford to feed it!!! LOL I know it's a pocket pistol but I do like to shoot it and practice with it.

It was an "A" serial number and it did go back to Taurus for the feed issue and some upgraded features. Taurus was nice and stood behind their product. It came back with a less squishy trigger and it was ok, just never fed a full mag of hardball that wasn't GELCO. But PMC Bronze was close enough to let me practice with it. And work on my clearing drills. :)

Sold it after a year, back to the owner of the store I got it from. Nice older gentleman, always treats his customers right (especially if they pay cash and don't want to trade. LOL) He asked about it because the guy that traded it to him lied and said it was working perfectly then let it slip about it not feeding well after a few weeks. Told him about the trip back to Taurus, and that was mostly just to have it checked up and updated. He son said he would buy it back or swap it out for a another pistol. I didn't really want to get rid of it, but being offered a new Taurus 85 in SS was too much to pass up!

I still miss it, even though I don't like it's trigger that much. I prefer the DAOish triggers on the Bodyguard and LCP Gen1 Custom. But it would put shoot the LCP, and its lighter than the equally as accurate BG. All carry well in a De Santi Super Fly holster.

Lefty, who is up way too early before work!

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion