New Purchase

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: New Purchase

Postby economod » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:24 am

Thanks for all of your rational reviews, including this one.
I trust that the latest model TCP's are more ammo friendly.
And realize that an early model magazine may not function in them.

The high cost of ammo has always tripped my 380 tendencies.
I've had my B6P for almost a year, and it's proven itself to be an enjoyable & economic range gun.
But it's just too big to carry concealed under warm weather attire.
Once it proves it's reliability, I think I can be satisfied with limited quantities of the small expensive cartridge.
Trying hard to not re-accumulate a larger collection ... too much is not always better, imo.
Sccy WOOD Shims . Ammo OAL . CPX Sold
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. MLK Jr 1957
TRUMP -1y : Ignorant Lying Conman, Shameless Cheating Thief,
Cruel Racist Bully, Lawless Greedy Coward, Putin+MBS Pushover .. WTF?
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Economod

Trying hard to not re-accumulate a larger collection ... too much is not always better, imo

But it sure is fun! 8)

I have a TCP for pocket carry. It has been reliable. I've been eyeing the B6P compact. Glad to here you are liking your full sized.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby Lefty Red » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:18 pm

Yes, I believe that the newer version of the 709 and 738 have no problems when it comes to feeding and ammo pickiness. I forgot to say that mine was the only one that I know of that was that picky. And it was a VERY early production.

I was really impressed with the TCP. The one that was traded back to the store is carried daily and they have their pick of any gun in the place, so it's a good testimony.

Also, is that B6P the SAR? Was looking at one. For the price, they look good. Always liked the CZ75. Just could never bring myself to pay the price for one.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:21 pm

My B6P is a CZ75B variant made in Sarzilmaz, Turkey by SAR ARMS and imported by EAA.
I paid $252 net after tax & rebate. It's the best of the dozen or so handguns that I've ever owned.
http://www.sarsilmaz.com/en/catalog/product/B6/13/52
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=14699.0

Chrome plated barrel, SS guide rod, firing pin retainer plate, load 17rd mag by hand.
Extra mags available from EAA, or Mec-Gar MGCZ7517AFC under $30.
Narrow rear sights are as accurate as the shooter. Has never failed.
Sights charge with flashlight, then glow-in-the-dark (thanks for the reminder PonySoldier).
Fit & finish as good as any, better than most. Tight all over when new, perfect after 100 rounds.
DA/SA with short reset ... exposed hammer w/ half-cocked position ... frame mounted thumb safety.
Automatic internal firing pin block ... no mag disconnect ... no loaded chamber indicator.
Easy tool-less take down. Comes with plastic case and cleaning swab.
IMO, more folks should be looking at this affordable, accurate, durable, reliable, 40yr classic design.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Pony Soldier » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:36 pm

There is also the B6PC (compact) a bit shorter and can hold 13+1. The light senseitive sights are on those pistols made after 2014. A fine weapon to fit in the hand and shoots with ease. Lower recoil because the slide rides within the frame not on top. Usually can be found for under $300. Brought mine home for $260.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby Lefty Red » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:16 am

Oh wow! Looks like I will have to check them out! Thanks for the info.

Lefty, painting front sights and watching cleaning weapons........

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:10 am

Here's a good video from Fire Mountain Outdoors, of a brand new B6P 13+1 compact ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8lvItYTwEI
FYI ... the Mec-Gar 17rd & 19rd mags fit the full size B6P ... the 16rd does not.

You gotta watch their torture test video too ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU2Fh-YF_Ik
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 am

gstone wrote:First off thank you Lefty for the wisdom you have shared with us, lots of very usable knowledge there for new and experienced shooters. Greatly appreciate you sharing and helping out.

Thank you for the kind words. I will state that I have several years of weapons from the service (CQB, Security Team) and corrections (TACT/SORT/EHR WRIT TEAM). And then ten years of concealed carry (out of state permits, past two of daily issue). Plus been hunting since I was a kid.

But I always take more classes and listen to other owners (after weeding through the BS) cause I want to always learn. And I know there are others that my experience wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket.

And that is what these forums should be, an exchange of information and experiences. Then we have to sort and classify the new information and figure where it fits in our own concept.

True fully, inexpensive pistols are new to me. Not bragging but I was brand snob and equipment whore for years. But been assisting in large CCP classes (and should get my certification in March of the damn class isn't canceled again!!!) and noticed that not everyone can just go out and buy this and this and train weekly. The are forced to shoot what they have. So we have been training and evaluating several cheaper weapons. I lucked out and got the SCCY! And now want to look for good weapons that cost less and have hands on experience with it and feel good about suggesting it to someone.

Lefty, packing up and heading to the range.....

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby economod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:23 am

Lefty Red wrote:... So we have been training and evaluating several cheaper weapons. ...

Full-size or compact, the B6P is very well made, and worthy of consideration.
I would certainly recommend it to a friend.
The slide is smaller by design, and not as easy to grasp as some others. But that's a training issue.
hth
economod
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:57 pm

economod wrote:Yeah, I'm also apprehensive about the 40 in a lightweight, from a durability perspective.

I'm thinking the finger extension will help to draw from concealment.
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Had the Walther PPS in .40, and although it was a good quality and fine shooting gun, the damn thing just literally beat my hands to death! I could run about 4 magazines through it, and that was it. So, yeah, the .40 in the small pistol kinda sucks. :shock:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby economod » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:27 pm

My old Ruger P91 .40 was a full-size double stack with a cast aluminum frame, and a relatively wide grip / backstrap.
So it handled the .40 no problem ... it was a blast!
Yeah, it wouldn't be as much fun in a single stack.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:10 pm

My first duty weapon was an XD Tactical in 40SW. In a large framed weapon, I think the 40SW is best suited. Although my G27 is nice and I can handle it. Don't like shooting it much, kills my finger getting banged around. Just can never warm up to the Glock's angle and grip.

I would like to try out the 2.0 M&P but it's way too much for what it is. I would save my box tops and bottle caps and get a Sig P226 in 40SW for just a little more.

Lefty

Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby gstone » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Sorry all we had some internet troubles and didnt have access for a few days. Back up and running now. Called around some saturday and did manage to find one Keltec p11 for 250 instock the next county over, i know this is or at least seems to be the gun that inspired the Sccy and after reading the keltec forums and watching videos I have to say im a bit skeptical on their guns. Seems they have a high return rate for FTE and FTF issues. Ive watched tons of video on the Sccy and there doesnt seem to be that issue with it, also they seem to have a warranty on the Sccy that is lightyears ahead of anything keltec ever had. I have seen some complaints of the pins walking out on Sccy pistols, anyone know if thats been resolved yet? Also anyone have any experience using aluminum cased ammo, like the Federal Aluminum, I ask cause the local wally world sells it for 9.99 a box. Brass isnt too much more, maybe 11 bux or so but still. I used it in my Hi Point 9mm and it worked fine.

I have spend the whole week looking, researching online and watching videos to find a good carry gun I can afford, I really like the Taurus G2 but its now sadly priced out of my price range. The problem around here is if the gunshop owner decides that he doesnt "like" a gun for what ever reason, he just doesnt carry it. We only have one actual gun store in the whole county, and one other one the next county over. You would think living in the hills of KY would gun friendly and they would be everywhere but not anymore. Most of our gun/pawn shops only stock guns over 350.00 and the shops are almost as bad. I like the little 380s like the LCP but ammo is so expensive for them its just not worth it, you cant practice and ordering ammo online is crazy expensive to ship unless you order over 100 bux worth and that my friends is never going to be allowed by the wife. Even still its not much cheaper online, maybe a dollar or 2 less then what i can buy it locally for, except for buds gun shop, they have reman ultramax 380 brass ammo for 11.xx a box and 10.00 flat ammo shipping rate (not sure outside KY if its still 10.00 shipping) so that might not be too bad if you order about 4 boxes of it, that covers the shipping vs local at 20.00 a box.

I really want to try out a Sccy but no ranges around here either, no rentals at all unless i drive to Lexington Ky which is about 3 hours away. Sucks
gstone

Postby economod » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:24 am

Beautiful country. Have made several trips to the WV side of those hills, rafting the Gauley during Fall drawdown.

Here's an option ...
Go to rkguns.com and check their store locator to find the nearest Rural King in Kentucky.
They are running their annual 12% storewide discount, including handguns.
PT111g2 ... $250 + tax, minus $30 rebate.
Phone that store, ask for shooting department to check stock.
Since you live in the state, there will not be additional transfer fees.
My entire rebate was handled online and took 33 days ... smooth.
Unfortunately, the rebate is in the form of in-store discount.
So it would mean another day-trip to redeem ... but they sell ammo too!
hth
Last edited by economod on Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
economod
Veteran Member

Postby gstone » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 am

economod wrote:Beautiful country. Have made several trips to the WV side of those hills, rafting the Gauley.

Here's an option ...
Go to rkguns.com and check their store locator to find the nearest Rural King in Kentucky.
They are running their annual 12% storewide discount, including handguns.
PT111g2 ... $250 + tax, minus $30 rebate.
Since you live in the state, there will not be additional transfer fees.
My entire rebate was handled online and took 33 days ... smooth.
Unfortunately, the rebate is in the form of in-store discount.
So it would mean another day-trip to redeem ... but they sell ammo too!
hth

Unfortunately the closest one to me is in Lexington, KY same city as Buds gun shop, that is about a 3 hour drive from the lovely city of Pikeville. Buds has the Taurus and Sccy cheaper then anyone but by the time I drive down there and back im negating any savings I would get. I did find a local store in Pikeville I had forgotten about that now has a website and lists the Sccy for 251 and the Taurus 709 for 207.00 so im going to visit them this morning and see if thats accurate or not. I swear you would think that living in Hillbilly USA there would be guns growing in the ground around here but not anymore. Most of our shops only sell higher priced guns, the ones that sell anything under 300 are largely uninterested in helping you or answering any questions, heck they dont really like to even show you the guns, its like yeah we have that Lcp but look at this Glock here for 500, its so much better. I am not a Glock fan or anything, they are fine for what they are and all but honestly if I was going to drop that much money on a gun I would go Sig. maybe a 290RS they sell at Buds online for 399, not that i could ever spend that much on one. Heck this one im trying to get is a miracle. I have 300 to use but that has to get my gun, ammo and perhaps a holster if i find something decent, but I expect that I wont be able to get the holster after I buy the gun and ammo. It was what attracted me to the Diamondback db9 in the first place, 200 new in 9mm small, easy to conceal, hard to shoot though from what Ive seen. Seems Diamondback has made some vast improvements over the years, but only one store sells them and he is out of stock, I took that as God trying to tell me something :D
gstone

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion