CPX-1, can yall convince me this is a dependable gun?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

CPX-1, can yall convince me this is a dependable gun?

Postby Banjax » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 am

Hey folks. I really like the look, feel and features of the CPX-1. But I get see so many mixed reviews on this handgun. Major malfunctions, parts breaking, etc... this gun has all the features I desire in a CCW but the number of negative remarks i'm seeing here and there are scaring me off. Have these issues been worked out or should I steer clear?
Banjax

Re: CPX-1, can yall convince me this is a dependable gun?

Postby TrapperBob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:43 pm

I owned a Sccy, sold it to get some money for another gun, thinking of buying another since I like a gun of that size alot, so I'm debating that myself.

Mine had two issues within the first month. Sccy sent me the parts and I fixed it, but the fact is I never quite completely trusted the gun again. By the way, regardless of any quality issues with the gun, Sccy customer service is really great. They absolutely stand behind their warranty. (What they say about anything else, such as when the CPX3 will be out or when they'll open a Sccy merchandise store is highly suspect.)

So now I'm looking for another gun of about the same size. I am down to either the Sccy or a Mil Surp Radom P64, which my local gun store has at the same price. Honestly if the P64 was the same caliber as the Sccy I wouldn't even be questioning it, I'd get the P64, all-steel incredibly reliable military pistol. Problem is the P64 is in 9mm Makarov (9x18) caliber, not 9mm Luger (9x19), so ammunition supply is an issue. The P64 is also DA/SA with a terrible DA trigger,easily eliminated by simply cocking the gun (external hammer) before the first shot, so that doesn't concern me too much, as I do a lot of shooting with single action revolvers I'm used to the idea of cocking a gun as it comes out of the holster.

I like the Sccy's style and feel in the hand, and it's a nice shooter, I just don't want to buy another and then have to fix a new gun again. And even if it works fine out of the box, given the number of problems other people have and my own experience, will I trust it or just keep expecting it to break?

So personally, I can't convince you it's a dependable gun because I'm not sure I believe it myself. But most seem to work fine after they're fixed if they do have a problem, so I don't know.

I've set my deadline for a decision as Monday morning, I'll have one or the other by Monday afternoon.
TrapperBob

Postby Banjax » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:25 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply. The P64 is not a bad idea actually. I may have to give this one some thought as well :-D
Banjax

Postby HootmonSccy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:15 pm

1st, understand that most people only seek out a forum when they have an issue.. So, you will see more problems on a forum than happy people, just sort of the nature of a gun forum..
I had a Gen 1 SCCY.. The only issues I had with it was a Bent Recoil rod and eventually the hole where the breakdown pin goes in went a little oblong (but worked fine)
They upgraded my gun for free.. I have had zero issues with my Gen 2.
BUT, I didn't buy my SCCY to be a range queen. I don't think it's designed for that.. I probably have 500 or so rounds thru my gun and have had Zero issues..
I shoot it one or twice a year, and shoot 50 rounds or so when I go.. I've shot reloads, FMJ, HP's and +P's..
If you like to shoot a gun a lot, I probably would either choose something else or have another gun you can carry IF you have to send the SCCY back.
I carry a lot, shoot a little, but my pistol has had zero issues..
I do understand that some have.. but not me..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 pm

In my opinion the CPX-2 is a better carry side arm.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Banjax » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Now help me out, isn't the only difference that the CPX1 has a safety and the CPX2 does not?
Banjax

Postby wrench459 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:09 pm

The cpx-2 safety is located @ the trigger finger. :mrgreen:
Almost like the CPX-1 ...only without ..........................
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Banjax » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:30 am

wrench459 wrote:The cpx-2 safety is located @ the trigger finger. :mrgreen:
Almost like the CPX-1 ...only without ..........................

LOL, ok i catch your meaning now ;-)
Banjax

Postby Renaldow » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:44 am

Can't speak for the CPX-1. I use my CPX-2 as EDC. I've put over a 1000 rounds through my CPX-2, no issues. I've carried it for about 2 years now. If you're looking at a SCCY for carry, get a CPX-2, not a CPX-1. The safety on the 1 had the issues, I believe. The long, hard trigger of the 2 is all the safety you need.

If you're looking for a range gun, I'd say get something bigger and funner to shoot, like a Beretta 92FS or another full size all metal gun.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Banjax » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:20 am

Renaldow wrote:Can't speak for the CPX-1. I use my CPX-2 as EDC. I've put over a 1000 rounds through my CPX-2, no issues. I've carried it for about 2 years now. If you're looking at a SCCY for carry, get a CPX-2, not a CPX-1. The safety on the 1 had the issues, I believe. The long, hard trigger of the 2 is all the safety you need.

If you're looking for a range gun, I'd say get something bigger and funner to shoot, like a Beretta 92FS or another full size all metal gun.

Thanks, appreciate the advise. I may take it.
Banjax

Postby fla-gypsy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:11 pm

"can yall convince me this is a dependable gun?"

No, read everything you can find and make your own decision.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby BadMonk » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:24 pm

yeah...i can't convince you. the gun you get and put in your hand will convince you...or not. i've had my cpx-2 for a few years. it's one of three semi auto handguns and all three are reliable and suit me. good luck with your choice.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:39 am

Banjax - Howdy and welcome from NC. I've had my CPX-1 since 2010. Had some minor issues but nothing that actually kept the pistol from firing. SCCY replaced my original pistol with a 2nd Gen CPX-1 in 2012. Works fine. I've been carrying mine since 2010 since it has always fired when I pull the trigger. Mine works, fits my hand and feels good to shoot. That's what I expect from a handgun.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Banjax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Wanted to thank everyone for your replies. I went to a gun show this past weekend and there were a TON of Sccy's there. I almost pulled the trigger but somehow walked out with a CZ P07 instead. Not quite sure how that happened, still scratching my head lol ;-)
Banjax

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion