Reassembly

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Reassembly

Postby ulpilotrmh » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 am

I have been reading up and following everything on the Internet showing the proper care and feeding of my new Sccy CPX-2. Getting it apart following the manual was no problem. Reassembly is not going well. I cant get the slide to go back far enough to get the retaining pin back in place. The slide has to come back about another quarter inch but it's up against a hard stop of some sort. HELP!
ulpilotrmh

Re: Reassembly

Postby smokeyburb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:54 am

What happens when you disassemble it again? Does anything look deformed or misaligned in the frame or slide?

When you reinsert the barrel into the slide does it move freely?

I've had the barrel move rearward with the slide when reinstalling onto the frame which would not allow the holes to align. Could your barrel be out of alignment, causing the slide to bind?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
smokeyburb

Postby ulpilotrmh » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. The hole in the tang on the bottom of the barrel has to be aligned with the hole for the pin. What a dufus. Thanks for trying to help.
ulpilotrmh

Postby economod » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 pm

The cam slot at the bottom of the barrel lug enables it to drop out of lockup with the slide during recoil.
And then, the tilting barrel pivots on the disassembly pin as the slide racks rearward.
So yes, the pin must go thru the cam slot. Thank you, John Browning.

The Hi-Power, like many other Browning designs, operates on the short-recoil principle, where the barrel and slide initially recoil together until the barrel is unlocked from the slide by a cam arrangement. Unlike Browning's earlier Colt M1911 pistol, the barrel is not moved vertically by a toggling link, but instead by a hardened bar which crosses the frame under the barrel and contacts a slot under the chamber, at the rearmost part of the barrel. The barrel and slide recoil together for a short distance but, as the slot engages the bar, the chamber and the rear of the barrel are drawn downward and stopped. The downward movement of the barrel disengages it from the slide, which continues rearward, extracting the spent case from the chamber and ejecting it while also re-cocking the hammer. After the slide reaches the limit of its travel, the recoil spring brings it forward again, stripping a new round from the magazine and pushing it into the chamber. This also pushes the chamber and barrel forward. The cam slot and bar move the chamber upward and the locking lugs on the barrel reengage those in the slide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby smokeyburb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Glad it was a simple solution.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
smokeyburb

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion