Asymmetrical barrel ___ SCCY RESOLVED the problem

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Asymmetrical barrel ___ SCCY RESOLVED the problem

Postby tinkersdam » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:58 pm

SCCY barrel.asymmetry.jpg
shows the misalignment of the ramp to the chamber skewed to the right side.
SCCY barrel.left side.jpg
Left side of ramp blends into the chamber
SCCY barrel.rt side.jpg
this is RIGHT side of feed ramp with notch below point of chamber entry
Does anyone have a feed ramp on their SCCY barrel that looks like the attached picture? None of my semi-autos look like this. Have been having problems the last 2 times out with loading failures and ammo jamming nose first into the outer edge of the chamber. As previously reported, I didn't seem to have any problem with FMJ round nose ammo on my first time out. However, it's now jamming the first round out of the mag and about 30% of the rest of FMJ RN. It will NOT load an HP round w/o either a nose jam, partial load, and/or putting a gouge in the side of the bullet. None of the ammo used are reloads.

1. The right and left sides of the feed ramp are not the same. The right side has a 'notch' that terminates the side of the ramp underneath and before reaching the edge of the chamber.
2. The feed ramp is off-center to the right.
3. The entrance to the chamber is not symmetrically round.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know if YOUR barrel looks like this:

I sent these pictures and an inquiry to SCCY for some kind of solution (new barrel, hopefully) this past Saturday. Hoping for a response this week.
Last edited by tinkersdam on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinkersdam

Re: Asymmetrical barrel

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Mine looks just like yours. Mine has been flawless, only about 250 rds. Hp and fnj.
Do you have problems with both mags?
Check for debris under the extractor.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby tinkersdam » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Mine looks just like yours. Mine has been flawless, only about 250 rds. Hp and fnj.

Yes, am having problems with both mags and I don't believe those are the problem. They were cleaned, rubbed inside/out with frog lube, and reassembled with correct spring orientation prior to my first time out with the pistol. Had absolutely no feed issues first time out so feel the mags are not the problem. They fed 150 rounds of FMJ RN w/o a glitch. Second time out a week later tried same FMJ ammo and some PD HP ....totally different story, The RN ammo was doing fairly well loading but several did fail to load fully and were caught on the edge of the casing. The HP were getting hung up nose first right into the right side of the chamber.

Since you say yours looks the same...Is your ammo 'tracking' to the right side of the ramp or tracking straight up the center? I might accept the asymmetry of the two side edges of the ramp as being just SCCY design, but really can't accept having both the ramp placement and the ammo 'tracking' marks on the ramp being to the right of center. Given the type of jams and gouges I'm getting on the ammo, I think this ramp is not properly aligned to the chamber opening and is pushing the ammo too far to the right side where it's getting hung up on the chamber edge. just looking at the machining on the ramp, it's not centered side-to-side either. It would seem feasible that this is what's causing the feeding problems.

Will wait to see what SCCY has to say about it.
tinkersdam

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:36 pm

Mag springs in backward?
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby juror » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:02 am

tinkersdam: "this is RIGHT side of feed ramp with notch below point of chamber entry"

I think that notch is to allow room for the extractor.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

That be one butt ugly feed ramp.

Have you tried some elbow grease on it?
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby ursamajor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Mine have slight notches on each side. But it's symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 pm

tinkersdam - I recommend you call SCCY. Speak to them and email the picture while you're on the phone.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby mike94yj » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:12 am

Call them, If they think it's a problem they will get a new barrel out to you.

Sent from my A1040 using Tapatalk
mike94yj

Postby getvicious » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

tinkersdam - I just pulled mine apart and looked at it. The ramp on mine looks very much like yours with a little step on the right side. I should say that the first thing I did to mine when I did my initial breakdown / clean / lube was polish the feed ramp so it's like a mirror. I also polished the outside of my barrel just because I like it. I have a real polisher - a bench grinder with longer shafts and polishing wheels in place of grinding wheels and no covers - so it's pretty easy to polish lots of things.

But, if you think you have an issue, call SCCY. Invoke that nice warranty.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby tinkersdam » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:54 pm

SCCY was GOOD on it's promise. I sent photos and info to SCCY on March 27th. I got a response from Danice on the 29th letting me know she was sending out a new barrel and 2 new mags with a request I return the original barrel and my original 2 mags.

I received the new barrel and mags on April 6th. The new barrel's feed ramp was symmetric to the chamber and appeared to have already been polished so, after cleaning/lightly oiling the barrel and 2 mags I headed out to the range with both RN and HP ammo. First, using the OLD mags, I shot 60-70 rounds through the new barrel w/o ONE problem. Everything fed and ejected perfectly. (Problem solved!) Then I tried the new mags. One of them fed flawlessly. The other one wouldn't accept a full 10 rounds, stopping at 7 max. Danice wanted TWO mags returned so I sent the problematic new mag, the original barrel, and one of my original mags that had a slightly bent spring in it but still functioned OK.

I am a happy camper. Thank you, SCCY.
tinkersdam

Postby fla-gypsy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Sccy is very easy to deal with on problems
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
fla-gypsy
Forum Regular

Postby tinkersdam » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:16 am

..."Sccy is very easy to deal with on problems."

Yes,they are. I was very pleased with SCCY's response and how quickly the problem was addressed. I've since used the pistol in a skills exercise and it functioned flawlessly. BTW, the alignment/accuracy of the sights was 'spot-on' right out of the box. Am quite satisfied with this pistol.
tinkersdam

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion