Nice firearm for the price. Needs a little TLC.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Nice firearm for the price. Needs a little TLC.

Postby Jackaltheonly » Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 am

Hello SCCY forum members.

I just wanted to say that the SCCY CPX-2 is a fine firearm from my experience. A couple months ago I purchased a CPX-2 from Rural King for $199.99. I had my eye on this compact pistol for a while and jumped on it when I saw the price.

After getting it home I began to manipulate the firearm and run it through some paces. The pistol is functional from the factory, but to my estimation it needs a little hand fitting. Mainly in removing machine marks from feed ramp and feed lips from magazine.

I am still in my phase of break in. Ive got 148 rounds through it from different manufacturers with only 2 failure to batterys that a smack on back of the slide fixed. I contributed the failures to the magazine( its spring was bent in a compromising way and feed lips were aggressive) after modifying the lips and fixing the spring i have yet to have another failure.

Once i hit my 300 round break in mark, i will share some more thoughts and if given no further failures, i will approve the CPX-2 for carry use.

I advise a break in and a behavior observation period for all defense guns (big league manufacturers included). So far this inexpensive little 9 is holding its own.
Jackaltheonly

Re: Nice firearm for the price. Needs a little TLC.

Postby getvicious » Sat May 20, 2017 7:30 am

Jackaltheonly - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us. Hope it keeps working well for you and you never need to actually use it for defense.

Interesting you got it from Rural King. There's a Rural King in NC a couple hours west of where I live that we're going to take a day to visit to check out their gun department. I hear consistent good things about them.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Mark38090 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:00 am

Welcome from Brooker Florida. I agree with the feed lips on the magazines, I had to tweak all 6 of my mags, UT once I did they all run flawless.
Mark38090
Forum Regular

Postby Silverbullet » Sat May 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Welcome! Great buy on your pistol. Keep us posted.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby TXSCCY » Sat May 20, 2017 3:47 pm

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the CPX-2! $199.99 was an excellent price for the CPX-2. I paid $238 plus $20 FFL for mine last month. I love mine, too!
Last edited by TXSCCY on Sat May 20, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby Jackaltheonly » Sat May 20, 2017 6:01 pm

A couple suggestions that might improve ergonomics of your SCCY. First the sights. The sights straight from the factory are quite nice to begin with, however I favor a bright, attention grabbing color on the front sight for fast acquisition.

My second suggestion would be stippling or grip tape on various places of the grip frame. Specifically where is up to end users discretion. I personally placed grip tape on the front and back strap, the trigger guard and two reference points. I also placed a piece of grip tape on the back of my slide, just in front of the rear sights. I must say that the extra traction is definitely noticeable and in fact very helpful when manipulating the slide.

TXSCCY- my total after tax was 217. Still a great buy
Mark38090- I noticed how sharp the lips were when loading the mag. Also noticed the markings on spent cases. My thought was that since brass is soft the aggressive lips were cutting and dragging into the brass, causing more friction than necessary. Simple filing and polishing to round off the lips. Operates very smooth now.
Jackaltheonly

Postby TXSCCY » Sat May 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Yup, we have to pay either tax or FFL fee when we're not an FFL holder. $217 was an excellent price that you paid for the CPX-2, I paid much more than that Image for my CPX-1 and CPX-2. My old hands are too shaking to do a good stippling so I used a Limbsaver slip-on grip as shown in the attached picture of the CPX-1 I bought in 2/2014. I will try to improve the sights as you suggested. Thanks!
Attachments
SCCY CPX-1-TT Small.png
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion