CPX 3 Guns & Ammo review

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: CPX 3 Guns & Ammo review

Postby Renaldow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 am

sccytoter wrote:
Reading the specs, it is a little smaller than the CPX. It would fit a pocket way better than the CPX.

I'm on the SCCY website right now and the specs as listed are exactly the same size and weight.

This isn't any kind of caliber war, I've got 9mm and 380's that I carry. I think it's a very legitimate question and discussion. If you have the choice of 380 or 9mm in the exact same pistol, I think most people are going to go with the 9mm. I would've liked to see SCCY come out with more of a pocket sized 380. That would make sense. Something competitive with the LCP, TCP or Kel-Tec. I'm wondering what demographic they're going for with a 380 this "large".
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby FastEddie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:32 am

It appears to be a rather vigorous contest with Hi Point to determine who can make the biggest and heaviest .380. Suspect the next effort will be a .22 the size and weight of a .44 magnum, nicknamed the "Dirty Roebuck"
FastEddie

Postby getvicious » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Many people have wondered what market segment or niche SCCY is producing the CPX-3 to sell to. After all, it’s a big .380 compared to what many people expected, which was a tiny pocket pistol like the LCP.

A few years ago I was speaking to Jason at SCCY and he told me the CPX-3 would be almost exactly the same size as the CPX-1/2. He said it would share some of the same parts like the magazine, recoil rod assembly and receiver. This makes manufacturing much easier as there aren’t a lot of parts specific to any one model.

A couple years ago Glock introduced the 42 in .380. It’s not a micro pistol either.

The Glock 42 specs are:
Length: 5.94 inches
Height: 4.13 inches
Width: 0.94 inch
Weight:13.76 oz
Capacity: 6+1

The CPX-3 specs are:
Length: 5.7 inches
Height: 4 inches
Width: 1 inch
Weight: 15 oz
Capacity: 10+1

The specs of the Glock 42 and the CPX-3 look very similar.

Glock found a market with people who want a handgun that fires a round that has less recoil than a 9mm and wasn’t a micro pistol. I would say the target demographic for the CPX-3 is the same group as with the Glock 42.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:13 am

SCCY catalog shows OAL for the CPX 3 to be 5.34"
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby TXSCCY » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:46 am

The CPX-1/2 OAL is 5.7" from my records so the CPX-3 is just slightly smaller. I have a couple of pocket .380 guns including the LCP and TCP, they're snappy as h*ll. They're good for conceal carry but not fun to shoot. As more and more States, including Texas, have allowed open carry, the role of these pocket guns has become less important than it was before. I don't need to worry much about printing now. IMO, the CPX-3 would be a great gun for those who would like to have a decent PD weapon with less recoil than the pocket .380 and the subcompact 9mm pistols.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:15 pm

The CPX-3 specs I listed came from the SCCY web site.
http://www.sccy.com/product/cpx-3-380-acp/

CPX-3 specs from SCCY web site 6-21-2017.jpg
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 pm

TXSCCY wrote:The CPX-1/2 OAL is 5.7" from my records so the CPX-3 is just slightly smaller. I have a couple of pocket .380 guns including the LCP and TCP, they're snappy as h*ll. They're good for conceal carry but not fun to shoot. As more and more States, including Texas, have allowed open carry, the role of these pocket guns has become less important than it was before. I don't need to worry much about printing now. IMO, the CPX-3 would be a great gun for those who would like to have a decent PD weapon with less recoil than the pocket .380 and the subcompact 9mm pistols.

I think you just defined the target demographic group for the CPX-3. Judging by what I see in various FB groups that's a pretty large group of people. Glock doesn't seem to have any trouble selling the 42 which is almost the same size so the market is there.

Perceived recoil is a funny thing because it's based on individual perception. You mention your TCP is very snappy and not fun to shoot. I've heard that a lot about the various tiny pistols. I don't think my CPX has a terribly harsh recoil but I think it's more harsh than my TCP. I consider my TCP pretty mild and a lot of fun to shoot. And I enjoy shooting my CPX too. This just shows how perceived recoil varies between different people and how expectations, past experience and what we hear from others all play into our perceptions.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby TXSCCY » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:12 pm

getvicious wrote:
TXSCCY wrote:The CPX-1/2 OAL is 5.7" from my records so the CPX-3 is just slightly smaller. I have a couple of pocket .380 guns including the LCP and TCP, they're snappy as h*ll. They're good for conceal carry but not fun to shoot. As more and more States, including Texas, have allowed open carry, the role of these pocket guns has become less important than it was before. I don't need to worry much about printing now. IMO, the CPX-3 would be a great gun for those who would like to have a decent PD weapon with less recoil than the pocket .380 and the subcompact 9mm pistols.

I think you just defined the target demographic group for the CPX-3. Judging by what I see in various FB groups that's a pretty large group of people. Glock doesn't seem to have any trouble selling the 42 which is almost the same size so the market is there.

Perceived recoil is a funny thing because it's based on individual perception. You mention your TCP is very snappy and not fun to shoot. I've heard that a lot about the various tiny pistols. I don't think my CPX has a terribly harsh recoil but I think it's more harsh than my TCP. I consider my TCP pretty mild and a lot of fun to shoot. And I enjoy shooting my CPX too. This just shows how perceived recoil varies between different people and how expectations, past experience and what we hear from others all play into our perceptions.

That's the reason I said the CPX-3 would be a great gun for the people who'd like to have a subcompact pistol with less recoil than the CPX-1/2. My favorite caliber is the .45 ACP so I'm fine with the CPX-1 and CPX-2. I love to get the CPX-3 for the wife, though.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 pm

Want to know how the CPX-3 handles?
Just load a few 380 auto rounds into the CPX-1/2 mag and have at it.
The 380 is mostly powder puff loads. But some of them are very serious.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Pony Soldier » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Glock 42 at "Gallery Of Guns" price today is $399 at some of my local dealers. So what, buy a "Name" or something that fires the same caliber? See my thumb, gee I'm NOT dumb!!!
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby TXSCCY » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I received an email early today from Ms. Danice Allen of SCCY Industries to inform me of the release of the CPX-3:

-------------------------

Good Afternoon,
I wanted to let you know that the CPX 3 has been released.
It will start shipping next week so please contact your Dealer and he can order one for you.

Thank you for choosing SCCY Industries!

Danice Allen
SCCY Industries
1800 Concept Ct
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
386-322-6336
866-729-7599
service@sccy.com
SCCY Industries

----------------------------------

The wait is finally over. Image
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Dang I hope that this is a go.
I really hate to hear all this smack about the high rated 380 :bdh:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Pony Soldier » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:10 pm

"Gallery of Guns" site has the CPX 3 now listed @ MSRP of $229 but no availability. Wonder what the less than MSRP discount price might be? Do you expect it might be listed for under $200 ? ? ?
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby TXSCCY » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Pony Soldier wrote:"Gallery of Guns" site has the CPX 3 now listed @ MSRP of $229 but no availability. Wonder what the less than MSRP discount price might be? Do you expect it might be listed for under $200 ? ? ?

I bought several handguns from Davidson's before, the actual price after tax and fees would depend on the local dealer that I selected and the price would vary greatly from one dealer to another. That's the reason Davidson's asks us to enter the ZIP code to search for the guns.
SCCY CPX-1-TT Gen 2
SCCY CPX-2-CB
TXSCCY
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Renaldow wrote:
sccytoter wrote:
Reading the specs, it is a little smaller than the CPX. It would fit a pocket way better than the CPX.

I'm on the SCCY website right now and the specs as listed are exactly the same size and weight.

This isn't any kind of caliber war, I've got 9mm and 380's that I carry. I think it's a very legitimate question and discussion. If you have the choice of 380 or 9mm in the exact same pistol, I think most people are going to go with the 9mm. I would've liked to see SCCY come out with more of a pocket sized 380. That would make sense. Something competitive with the LCP, TCP or Kel-Tec. I'm wondering what demographic they're going for with a 380 this "large".

Something is wrong with their specs then. They list the barrel as 2.96" on the .380, and 3.1" on the 9mm....how is the .380 as long, high, and wider? I have read two gun reviews on this pistol, and one of them showed the .380 sitting on top of the 9mm, and it was (just a tad) smaller than the 9mm. To me, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion