Install a CPX1 receiver into a CPX2 grip frame?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Install a CPX1 receiver into a CPX2 grip frame?

Postby adam01364 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:30 pm

I have a CPX-1 receiver that I would like to install into a CPX-2 grip frame that I purchased.
I know the frame pins are different; can I purchase the correct pins from SCCY and simply enlarge the holes to fit the pins and be done?

Has anyone already done this?
adam01364

Re: Install a CPX1 receiver into a CPX2 grip frame?

Postby getvicious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 am

adam01364 wrote:I have a CPX-1 receiver that I would like to install into a CPX-2 grip frame that I purchased.
I know the frame pins are different; can I purchase the correct pins from SCCY and simply enlarge the holes to fit the pins and be done?

Has anyone already done this?

It sounds like you’re asking about placing the receiver from a 1st Gen pistol into a 2nd Gen pistol (the current 2nd Gen CPX-1 and 2 share the same frame pins and everything except the external safety).

I’ve not seen anyone mention doing this kind of conversion themselves. You could probably just reuse your pins from the 1st Gen pistol and drill out the frame holes in the 2nd Gen frame so they fit. Call SCCY, they may have a set of old 1st Gen frame pins.

Here’s a thought that might be a lot easier. Remove your safety levers (left lever unscrews, right lever comes out with the piece that runs thru the receiver that the left lever screws into.). Then remove the plunger spring and plunger (these are the things that act as a detent for the safety and let it “click” into SAFE or FIRE positions. Leave the thing in place that the plunger and spring come out of, that’s the hammer axis pin that the hammer rotates on. Look at page 31 in the manual to see all these parts and where they fit and this will make a lot more sense than just reading this. Place a small amount to epoxy glue on the hammer axis pin and the receiver to hold the hammer axis pin in the receiver and not let it move to the left (the left safety lever does this on a CPX-1). As long as you can use glue, RTV or something to cover the pin and the receiver to keep the pin in place you’re good. You will then have a 1st Gen CPX-2.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby adam01364 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Good guess, but not exactly. Actually, I bought a stripped Gen1 CPX-1 receiver off one of the auction sites, and had a complete CPX-2 parts kit (all the parts) from another auction.

I'll have to make some minor changes to relieve the receiver in order to accommodate the hook in the Gen2 trigger spring. Otherwise I'll have to acquire a Gen1 trigger bar + trigger spring.

I'll call SCCY to see what -if any- parts they will sell me.
adam01364

Postby adam01364 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:32 pm

SCCY never got back to me. So, <whatever>

I went to the Keltec website, got larger frame pins from them -making an guess they'd be the correct diameter for the SCCY CPX-1 receiver. They did.
Drilled out the grip frame to the appropriate size.
Relieved the receiver in order to accommodate the hook in the Gen2 trigger spring.
Reassembled everything. It's VERY snug but it dry cycles fine.

Probably voided the warranty. Don't care.

I will be hitting the range in the next couple of days and will report back with success (or failure).
adam01364

Postby getvicious » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:32 am

adam01364 wrote:SCCY never got back to me. So, <whatever>

I went to the Keltec website, got larger frame pins from them -making an guess they'd be the correct diameter for the SCCY CPX-1 receiver. They did.
Drilled out the grip frame to the appropriate size.
Relieved the receiver in order to accommodate the hook in the Gen2 trigger spring.
Reassembled everything. It's VERY snug but it dry cycles fine.

Probably voided the warranty. Don't care.

I will be hitting the range in the next couple of days and will report back with success (or failure).

You might call SCCY. They say that nothing you do to your pistol will void the warranty.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby adam01364 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Pix or it didn't happen, LOL You can see the oversized pins in the frame.

The parts look like they got a little road rash. The whole deal -parts, frame, mag, plus shipping and FFL fees- ran me $129
Not purdy, but she'll go bang.

adam01364

Postby getvicious » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Nice - good job.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Sooo, Range Report -with interesting results.

I took my Cobra Patriot 9 and the SCCY out today and put them thru their paces. I have to say -comparatively speaking, the Cobra was uncomfortable to shoot vs. the SCCY; there was a very big difference in felt recoil and just in how everything felt overall.

But here's the thing: the FrankenSCCY trigger wouldn't reset unless I held the gun upside down after firing. Everytime. What's that all about? Maybe it's a wannabe Gangsta' gun?

Otherwise the SCCY was flawless. I want to introduce it into my carry rotation, but I don't want to have to stand on my head to make the trigger reset.
Any thoughts?
adam01364

Postby GoesBang » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 pm

You should probably turn the trigger reset spring (on the trigger cam) a full turn to get better tension. This was a modification that was user introduced and later adopted by SCCY at the factory.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby adam01364 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:19 pm

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a shot.
adam01364

Postby getvicious » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 am

I think this is the video for switching around the trigger spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSlIpQH_MSQ
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby adam01364 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:56 pm

Switching around the trigger spring worked, thanks!

Other good news: Heard back from SCCY and they're sending me pins as well as new magazine baseplates since the Gen1 mag doesn't fit into the Gen2 grip frame.
Free.
adam01364

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion