Roll Pin ... Just a Roll Pin

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Roll Pin ... Just a Roll Pin

Postby BadMonk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:42 pm

When putting the ejector pin back into the slide of my CPX-2, I buggered it and needed a new pin. So I call SCCY thinking that getting the ejector pin will be easy peasy. Not so fast. Spoke to a guy named Charlie who said it was just a roll pin and seemed hesitant to do the order...fine, do you know the dimensions cuz maybe I have one laying around here that will fit. He doesn't know the dimensions. Instead, I can trade in my slide for a new one. Well, no...I have the gun dialed in different sights. All I need is a roll pin. So now...he'll not only send me the roll pin but also a firing pin and some other parts to go along with it. Okay, says I, that sounds good. Not so fast. The package must be sent to a FFL. Really? A firing pin and roll pin are restricted items?? Oh yeah, just go to a FFL.

It's been a week since he said he'd send it. I called the FFL who's like "why are they sending it here instead of to you?" Exactly. The FFL says they haven't seen it and hope it's clearly marked otherwise it could just get thrown out. Great... All I freakin' wanted was a simple little roll pin.

I had good things to say about SCCY Customer Service before but now...I don't understand this.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Re: Roll Pin ... Just a Roll Pin

Postby getvicious » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:59 pm

SCCY only sends some parts to an FFL. My guess is it's their way of keeping fraud down. You know, free spare parts to sell on eBay?

Anyway, they sent me a part that needed to go to an FFL. My FFL asked the same thing but had no problem with SCCY sending it to them (no transfer needed as a part is not a firearm). The envelope was addressed to my name care of his shop (FFL). I walked in after a couple weeks and he handed me the envelope.

There shouldn't be any danger of it being thrown out unless the FFL throws away mail.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby BadMonk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 pm

Thanks for the information. My FFL asked how it was sent and I didn't know. If addressed to me with c/o the FFL, then I imagine it should be safe. The FFL is a very busy Army Navy store that sells all kinds of stuff, like a mini Cabela's, and must get a lot of 'stuff' in the mail.

I don't follow the fraud angle though. If a fraudulent person gets parts sent to himself or to a FFL, he still has spare parts to sell on eBay. Anyway, it's all unnecessary because I only needed a roll pin...or its dimensions. So while I appreciate SCCY sending extra parts that I can sell on eBay (just kidding), I'd just as soon get what I need without running to the FFL for a roll pin. Heck, I'd even pay for the pin for the convenience of having it sent directly to me.

Maybe I'm just being an old grump... Anyhow thanks again for the info.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby adam01364 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I could the logic if SCCY might feel that their generous replacement parts policy was being abused - adding the FFL as a PITA buffer might stem the tide of free parts going out the door. And as long as the FFL doesn't charge a handling fee, it works for me.

But I also agree with BadMonk, if someone is bent on making money via fraud, adding the FFL buffer might not make a heckuva lot of difference.
adam01364

Postby BadMonk » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:48 pm

I wrote to SCCY asking why it's so difficult to get a roll pin. Waiting to hear and understand why.

The same day I called SCCY, I called Ruger to let them know that they sent me a wrong free part. From them, I needed an ejector spring assembly cap and they sent the assembly (not the cap) directly to me not a FFL. Because it's not a restricted part. I've had the correct Ruger part for days and no sign of the SCCY part(s).

Ruger told me to keep the assembly (to sell on eBay). Sorry but sending unrestricted parts to a FFL makes no sense to me. I have had several manufacturers send me unrestricted parts with no problem. Most are very generous with what is needed. I can only see how this hoop jumping will hurt SCCY.

I don't generally sell my guns but if I were to sell anything then my honest estimation is that SCCY is fisrt in line to be gone based on a nonsensical service policy. Really, just send me or charge me for a dang roll pin and be done with it.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby BadMonk » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:00 pm

The other thing is you must give a sn when asking for parts. If a cstomer continually breaks his gun then there's probable theft by deception. Easy to spot and remedy. Much easier than sending everyone to a FFL.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Ejector is in the frame, extractor is in the slide.what size pin punch did you use?
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby BadMonk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:53 pm

SCCY got back to me and said it's their policy to send some parts to a FFL and some other parts to the Customer.

The parts arrived today at the FFL today. When I picked up the parts, the FFL said the same thing..."it makes no sense. none of the parts are stamped with a serial number and there's nothing for me to do except hand the parts to you." I said "yeah, I know I've had the same conversation three times and all I needed was a roll pin."

In the package was an extractor, extractor spring, two extractor pins (!!), firing pin and firing pin spring.

Don't want to :bdh: but wanted to let anyone know the conclusion.
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby vorwart » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:32 pm

I wonder if they have had some recent policy changes. A few months ago, my firing pin broke. They sent me a whole new slide in the mail. Recently, my ejector broke. I called Sccy and expected they would continue in the same manner and just mail me a new one. To my surprise, they said it had to be shipped to a dealer. I get that it's part of the receiver, but should that matter? It's a simple (and apparently flimsy) piece of metal without a serial number. Very strange. To add to the strangeness, they did not ask for the serial number of my gun. Only my name and my FFL's address.

Having a broken gun is a bit of an inconvenience, and now much more so as my FFL is about 30 miles away and is on part time summer hours (only open about 3 days a week and only for a few hours each of those days).
vorwart

Postby BadMonk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:16 am

That's an interesting and inconvenient change of events. Fortunately for me, my FFL isn't as far away as yours but I can see how jumping thru the FFL hoop for no good reason is going to be a pain. Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Hi-Point and Rossi have sent unrestricted parts directly to me. Sometimes I paid, like Rossi, and the rest I didn't pay but they were mailed to me. None sent anything to a dealer. Luckily, my FFL did not charge me but I'll bet there will be some... Sorry to say but SCCY's Customer Service isn't top drawer with a dumb policies like this. Funny thing is that I recommended SCCY recently on another forum. I'll have to go back and rectify that bit of information,
BadMonk
Forum Regular

Postby getvicious » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:03 am

SCCY changed their service / parts policy in mid 2015. At that time they started asking that pistols be returned to them for service rather than sending parts to the owner. They also started sending prepaid shipping labels a lot more often than they had been doing previously.

Then, between that time and mid 2016, SCCY started sending parts to FFLs. Not all parts but some, and that hasn’t been completely consistent. Some parts were sent via an FFL and the same parts were sometimes sent directly to the owner.

Lately SCCY has been sending parts via an FFL more consistently. But, only some parts. Some still get sent directly to the owner.

An example is my own recent experience. My ejector broke (the tip snapped off which is a common way that part breaks). I checked my pistol and found my recoil rod also beginning to show wear. I called SCCY and asked for a new recoil assembly and ejector. They told me the ejector had to go thru an FFL (their policy – not anything legal). I asked if they would mind sending me two ejectors since the whole FFL thing greatly increased the time it would take to get the part and that way I would have a spare for the next time. They said sure. My recoil assembly came right to me at my house. My two ejectors came to my FFL and I picked them up from there.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion