Firing Pin Broken?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Firing Pin Broken?

Postby marauder144 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

I fired about 30 live rounds + 100 dry fires (probably 80 with a snap cap, the other 20 with nothing) and I have cleaned the gun a twice since purchase. I got a bit nervous about the firing pin when I saw there was no firing pin impact marks on the silicon on a brand new snap cap. I used a piece of masking tape on the end of the snap cap to see if a hole would be created from the pin impact and sure enough, no hole was created, leading me to believe the firing pin is not striking at all.

I haven't been able to fire a live round and likely won't be able to until later this week to confirm. Is it possible that some oil snuck down the firing pin hole while I was cleaning it? Should I try to disassemble and clean the firing pin hole or should I just warranty the gun and get the pin replaced? Is it possible that SCCY would just send me a new pin instead of me sending the whole gun?

Thanks.
marauder144

Re: Firing Pin Broken?

Postby economod » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:14 pm

Remove the magazine and empty the chamber.
Drop a pencil through the muzzle so the eraser sits on the breech face.
Aim upward, and pull the trigger.
A good firing pin should cause the pencil to leave the barrel.

Search YouTube for "firing pin pencil test". hth
9mm Ammo Length . . SCCY Wooden Shims . . CPX2 Replaced-Sold
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that." MLK Jr. 1957
economod
Veteran Member

Postby marauder144 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:09 pm

I tried the pencil test at different angles and the pencil did not move.
marauder144

Postby wrench459 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:45 pm

When my firing pin broke.
Sccy replaced the slide assy. not the whole pistola.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 am

marauder144 wrote:I tried the pencil test at different angles and the pencil did not move.

Call SCCY Monday morning.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby frank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:32 am

my keltec pf9 has stopped firing on two occasions because the firing pin channel has gotten jammed up with little bits of brass
debris the extractor scrapes off the case rims .and gets in the firing pin hole in the slide , removal of the pin and a cleaning with a q-tip and some solvent and it was going again. might try blowing
it out with `gun scrubber ` or the like ------------
frank
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:12 pm

I'd suggest actually going to the range and seeing if it works. The firing pin is much heartier than what you've thrown at it.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 pm

If you take the slide off.
Depress the firing pin .
It should stick out ~ .180 .
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby ROB1911-45 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:54 pm

I have broken 2(two) firing pins. With the first one, they would not send a new firing pin direct to me. They did however send one to my FFL dealer, which I should receive in the next day or so. But they did send me a whole new slide. Broke that firing pin too. It appears that dry firing it without a snap cap, destroys the firing pin. The first one I had no clue it had broken until I tried to fire the pistol. On the second one I actually heard the tip of it shoot out the end of my barrel and hit the wall. So, just guessing here but, either the hammer strike is to hard, the firing pin is to brittle, or it is not wise to dry fire the pistol, at least without a snap cap. Fortunately as I said I have another one coming soon. I will install the new one, and forego dry firing all together or get a snap cap:-)
ROB1911-45

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion