Still Not Accurate after 600 Rounds. Me, Not the gun.

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Still Not Accurate after 600 Rounds. Me, Not the gun.

Postby drb166 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:37 am

I've put 600 rounds through the CPX-2, and can get a tight group, but not where I'm aiming. My buddy, a top-notch shooter (prison guard) has no problem getting on target with it. With a Gen 4 Glock 17 I'm good. With my Taurus 608 .357, I'm excellent. I just can't figure out what i'm doing wrong with the SCCY (I know it's me, not the gun).

I think I'm twisting the gun right before the hammer fall. I'm starting to think my trigger finger is over extended and curving too much. This is the smallest and lightest handgun I've ever owned, by the way. It seems like my finger is curving back too far against the trigger at the end. I can't seem to compensate for this, so I'm considering adding some distance between the grip and the trigger by padding the back of the butt. But my buddy, the prison guard, has no issue with this and he has bigger hands than me and longer fingers. Has anyone had any similar issues? My problems seem to be primarily with this gun. Larger guns, no issue. As of right now, I would never consider this for CCW because I'm just dangerous with it.

Any thoughts are welcomed. Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.

Another thought: In the 1990's I had RK done to my eyes to correct my vision. At night, this gives headlights and streetlights a slight star or flare effect. I get the same effect with electronic sights if the red dot is too large. Also, I wear strong prescription glasses now. I wonder if a shorter sight picture on the CPX-2 could be affecting my aim. The Taurus 608 has a 6" barrel, with about 8" inches or so between the front and rear sights. The Taurus has about the same trigger pull in double action, but the gun weight is about twice as heavy. These are other factors to consider.
drb166

Re: Still Not Accurate after 600 Rounds. Me, Not the gun.

Postby tom47 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm

I don't think it is any more than the trigger and trigger pull. I always tend to pull slightly right with the CPX2 and with my LCP.

Both are light, painful recoil [for me with arthritis in my hands especially] and shoot to right of aim so consistently that I aim left a bit. Hitting center mass would not be a problem and these two primary carry pistols are just right for that.
USAF
1965 to 1968
Takhli RTAFB
tom47
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Yeah, I'm also not very accurate @ 25 yards with the CPX-2.
Bad breath distance different story.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby frank » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:34 pm

like wrench said , how far away are you shooting ?? . in my humble experience these are 7 yard guns . and do that well . small guns with
their short sight radius , stubby grips , etc. are hard for anyone to shoot . closer is better for practical accuracy --
might try this method ---------------good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUzVjLHpB1w&t=76s
frank
Forum Regular

Postby davek128 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:18 pm

I just picked up a Sccy cpx2 today, have not fired it yet; but I have what I consider its distant cousin. The Keltec P-11 which is very similar to the cpx2. I too had trouble hitting the target. Holding my arms straight out It seemed that no matter how hard I held the P-11 my arms would shake a little, throwing my aim off.
I took the advice of a retired police officer that I met at a local Bookstore while looking at some gun magazines. He told me to try bringing my arms down so instead of them being straight out, have both elbows resting against my chest. This will steady the arms....Then lower you head a little so you can see the target thru the sights. Lean forward a little, adjusting the legs a little to give better stance and squeeze the trigger. It worked for me, I just had to adjust my view with my bifocals a little

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Dave K from NJ
NRA member
Sccy CPX-2, Kel Tec P11, Ruger 10/22, and SR22
davek128

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:38 am

https://youtu.be/li0rGtXh23I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion