SCCY CPX-2. Any good?

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Re: SCCY CPX-2. Any good?

Postby getvicious » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am

JensenBreck wrote:HI,

Anyway, I've seen several videos and read reviews and most opinions are that the trigger is terrabad, it's fairly light so easy to carry, and for the money it's not a bad gun and the warranty is good.
The SCCY's have been out for a while now, what do people think of them? Have you had any experiences with the customer service department and were they good/bad?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

References:https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585261

This entire forum is the answer to this very general question.

The trigger being "terrabad" is very subjective. Do you expect a nice light single action trigger? You will be disappointed. Do you expect a rather heavy, smooth, double action only trigger that takes about 9 pounds of pull? You will be delighted.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Renaldow » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 pm

I love the trigger. It's just how I want a carry pistol to be. Range guns can have weak triggers, but a DAO on a carry pistol should be strong, which is what the SCCY's is.

I like it. I carry it most days. I've not had a failure with it. The mag springs are tough because they're made to be compressed most of the time. If you can't load 10 in a magazine, load 7-8 and leave it for a few days. Unload it, and when you reload it 10 should go in just fine. Weak springs in a carry gun's mag will cause FTF's over time, so you actually want stiff springs, but that's another thing people complain about.

For a general carry, 10+1 9mm compact pistol, there's really not a better option out there.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby MrJeep » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:48 pm

Renaldow wrote:I love the trigger. It's just how I want a carry pistol to be. Range guns can have weak triggers, but a DAO on a carry pistol should be strong, which is what the SCCY's is.

I like it. I carry it most days. I've not had a failure with it. The mag springs are tough because they're made to be compressed most of the time. If you can't load 10 in a magazine, load 7-8 and leave it for a few days. Unload it, and when you reload it 10 should go in just fine. Weak springs in a carry gun's mag will cause FTF's over time, so you actually want stiff springs, but that's another thing people complain about.

For a general carry, 10+1 9mm compact pistol, there's really not a better option out there.

I agree, I've had mine for awhile and it's been great.
Reach for the SCCY
MrJeep

Postby FastEddie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, actually, almost all gun manufacturers believe that overly stiff springs are the cause of FTF's.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm

Well, for me the proof is in the pudding. Mine works great and that is all I need to know.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby WoodLark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:10 pm

I like mine so much that I just bought another one! The trigger is like a fine revolver trigger, and the size is perfect for concealed carry.
Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!
WoodLark

Postby sccytoter » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:31 pm

WoodLark wrote:I like mine so much that I just bought another one! The trigger is like a fine revolver trigger, and the size is perfect for concealed carry.

Ha ha ha! I just bought another one today too! :D This one is FDE grip frame with matt finish slide...my other is FDE grip frame with black slide. :wink:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby juror » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:51 am

"Well, for me the proof is in the pudding. Mine works great and that is all I need to know."

"I like mine so much that I just bought another one! The trigger is like a fine revolver trigger, and the size is perfect for concealed carry."

"Ha ha ha! I just bought another one today too! :D This one is FDE grip frame with matt finish slide...my other is FDE grip frame with black slide."

=========

Careful, talk like this will send our forum troll crying to mommy.
juror
Forum Regular

SCCY CPX-2. Any good?

Postby ursamajor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:54 pm

It’s a CCW. That means carried much, shot little. I CCW’d a Smith and Wesson 442 for years. So I am used to DAO triggers.

It is not a range gun/recreational shooter. But it is a hell of a lot more pleasant to shoot than the Airweight.

I had some hiccups early on-one that required the gun to make a trip in to Sccy for warranty repair. I did go with a heavier spring, and new guiderod. The gun runs flawlessly now. and I’ve run it hard-as to build unwavering confidence in its reliability.

In short, I like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:14 pm

The sky is better then fighting back with soup cans or river rocks.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby potee » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:52 am

Renaldow wrote:I love the trigger. It's just how I want a carry pistol to be. Range guns can have weak triggers, but a DAO on a carry pistol should be strong, which is what the SCCY's is.

I leave mine full all the time. Will my spring get too weak?
potee

Postby Renaldow » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:09 pm

potee wrote:
I leave mine full all the time. Will my spring get too weak?

Eventually, yes. That happens with all mags. You really only want to have the ones you're currently 'using' (whatever that means for you) loaded, and then cycle them out to empties every couple of weeks. For instance, I have 4 mags. 2 are always loaded. About once a month I switch them out and load the 2 other mags and swap them out.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Springs weaken with use, not by staying compressed. I have a Ruger Mk1 that is stored loaded since 1969. A Glock since 1984. Springs are fine. Long guns are generally left cocked when stored with no problem.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:27 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Springs weaken with use, not by staying compressed. I have a Ruger Mk1 that is stored loaded since 1969. A Glock since 1984. Springs are fine. Long guns are generally left cocked when stored with no problem.

It sounds like you don't understand how a mag's springs go bad. You won't know that the "springs are fine" on either of those mags until you go and try to shoot them. I'm betting they aren't fine at all. Enjoy your weakened springs and FTFs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:37 pm

When I said store loaded I didn't mean unfired. Shot the Glock last week and the Ruger a few months ago. No malfunctions. My 1944 Mosin shoots fine and as I pointed out, is returned to the safe with bolt closed and firing pin spring compressed. Does anyone decock their striker fired pistols, their shotguns or rifles? Not claiming to be an expert, just an old guy sharing my experience.
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular

Next

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion