How useful is the recoil thing on the back

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

How useful is the recoil thing on the back

Postby thejonl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:55 pm

The vents on the back... Do you think they actually absorb recoil or is it just a design thing. I was thinking about ordering another frame (so I don't screw up mine) and filling them in, I know it's just cosmetic but I just think it looks weird. What do people use for grip mods, epoxy? What kind....
thejonl

Re: How useful is the recoil thing on the back

Postby Lefty Red » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:46 pm

I do not think they actually do anything for recoil, but then I do not have a slo mo camera to see is the "vents" "crush" under recoil. But I'm thinking they do not.

What COULD help is a heavier recoil spring. And I wish there were one for the SCCY. I have them in my Gen3 Glocks and there is a difference. Same with the Mirco 9 or Micro 380/Sig 238. Made a big difference!

Lefty

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Fill them with Black RTV (or another color if you want to accessories your colors)..
IF they help with recoil, then the RTV shouldn't really effect this action..
Just a thought..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Pony Soldier » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Did you notice they've seem to have been eliminated on the CPX 3's. And no other manufacturer ever picked up on back strap cushions either. It's like 'skirts' on a '53 Ford or Mercury etc., just for looks.
Pony Soldier
Seasoned Member

Postby wrench459 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 pm

Lefty Red wrote:
What COULD help is a heavier recoil spring. And I wish there were one for the SCCY...

Red would this 20# assembly help?
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Lefty Red » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am

wrench459 wrote:
Lefty Red wrote:
What COULD help is a heavier recoil spring. And I wish there were one for the SCCY...

Red would this 20# assembly help?
Yep! Is that the one from GP?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Lefty Red
Seasoned Member

Postby Renaldow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 am

The backstrap isn't made to cushion, condense, crush, or anything else. It's the same poly as the rest of the frame, and if the backstrap did those things, so would the rest of the frame and of course that would be bad!

The idea behind the vented backstrap is that those 'vents' are just cut outs that leave a much smaller surface area for the shockwave of the recoil to travel down before it gets to your palm. Instead of having the full thick grip to transfer the recoil to your palm, the recoil travels through the grip, gets shunted down a smaller pathway to the back of the grip and then to your palm. Hope I explained that right.

This would probably be good if it was heat and not recoil, because the way it's designed reminds me a bit of a heat sink or dissipator. But it's not heat, it's a shockwave and I don't believe this does much. But then, since we can't compare a CPX with and without that backstrap, it's hard to say. I believe it's missing on the 380 due to the felt recoil of that round vs the weight/size of the gun. It's not needed. It's a large 380 (comparatively to others, anway).

Regardless, I believe that backstrap was meant to be a 'signature' design of SCCY that has made users shake their heads. I do wonder if we'll see it in future SCCY designs or if it will just go away with the CPX series.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby thejonl » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:12 pm

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Recoil isn't bad on this gun I just think it looks silly. I like the way the cpx 3 looks without them, I wonder when they come out with the 9 version if the frames will be swappable. Just a thought..
thejonl

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion