Magazine question

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Magazine question

Postby alexrckid » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Qk, has a magazine that was allowing the follower(with no rounds loaded) to "nose-up". Seemed that the pinch was allowing this to happen. Called SCCY. Got ahold of Charlie. He acknowledged that the pinch may have opened up and would send me a new one, which he did. The new mag came factory lubed. So, went ahead and loaded 9 rounds....one shy of the 10 round capacity. Now, when i manually unload the mag, roungs 5 and 6 remain "nose down" as if the follower is hung up. I've got two older, well used mags, that none of this stuff if happening with. I know that the mags are made in house...just wondering if SCCY's having problems with "some" of their CPX mags or, maybe the mag just needs to be "broken in". My concern is that since some of the rounds are not "nose-up" coming out of the mag that it may not feed the ramp very well....gonna call SCCY tomorrow on this new mag deal.......
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Re: Magazine question

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Keep us updated..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby alexrckid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am

will do......gonna give SCCY a chance to wake up and call them later..
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:28 pm

What happens when you empty the mag by firing them? When you're not looking at the mag and studying what the bullets are doing as you're manipulating them? I ask in that way because it's been my experience that what you describe happens with some double stack mags, and they function fine in the pistol.

I have 4 SCCY mags, and when the mag is partially loaded they will dive like you're saying. All of them work just fine and I've ever had a FTF. How something functions when you remove cartridges at high speed while being fired can be much different than how something functions when you remove them by hand.

What I'm saying is, you may be overthinking this.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby alexrckid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:12 pm

agreed, Renaldow...........spoke with Jason at SCCY this morning. said that the mags that are being sent out are ost certainly fine. said that the WWB brass ammo that i'm loading in the mag is ok and that, like you said, in actual use, they'll cycle ok. told me to try it at the range and let him know but he's comfident that it'll be fine......i'll follow up after running a bunch of rounds thru this mag soon..
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Postby Renaldow » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 pm

I don't blame you for being dubious about them. For being a factory mag, they seem cheap and terrible. :lol: They do work pretty good though :)
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby alexrckid » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:10 am

Renaldow wrote:I don't blame you for being dubious about them. For being a factory mag, they seem cheap and terrible. :lol: They do work pretty good though :)

totally agree with you, Renaldow. mags do appear cheap compared to others(my Walther, for example) but they do seem to function just fine. guess it's not all about the looks but rather the performance. will post the range results, here, after i run rounds thru the "new" mag.......getting cold, again here(S.C.). will put off the range day til it warms up again....i prefer outdoor range shooting...
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Postby FastEddie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:27 am

Slightly different opinion from my perspective. My SCCY came with two mags, neither worked very well. Sccy sent me two new ones, only one works well. When I took the bases off and held them next to each other, no two were exactly identical. It was the mag issue which first brought me to this forum. It seems this has been an ongoing problem for years. Maybe some day they will get it fixed. The exceptionally tight spring is also not a joy. Don't understand why I can load every other manufacturers mags without spraining my thumb like I do with the Sccy mags.
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby alexrckid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:37 pm

[quote="FastEddie"]Slightly different opinion from my perspective. My SCCY came with two mags, neither worked very well. Sccy sent me two new ones, only one works well. When I took the bases off and held them next to each other, no two were exactly identical. It was the mag issue which first brought me to this forum. It seems this has been an ongoing problem for years. Maybe some day they will get it fixed. The exceptionally tight spring is also not a joy. Don't understand why I can load every other manufacturers mags without spraining my thumb like I do with the Sccy mags.[/quote

dont get me wrong, i love my CPX, but, i too wonder about their mags. i have a sig and walther....both ags load smoothly and have consistant spring pressure throughout all the rounds loaded. the CPX, not the same. but, like i said, i love the CPX and the way it shoots. so, as long as it shoots fine, the mags are gonna be ok..
alexrckid
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm

New sky mags tends to work better after loading them up and letting um set for a few days.
The spring does calm down.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Renaldow » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Yeah, if they're too stiff to take 10, load them with 8 and let them sit for a few days or a week. Unload it, and when you reload it the 10 should go right in.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion