Slide will not hold open on an empty magazine, UNLESS..

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Slide will not hold open on an empty magazine, UNLESS..

Postby paulky_2000 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:49 pm

The slide on my CPX 2 will not hold open on an empty magazine under normal circumstances. HOWEVER, if you press up on the base plate while the empty magazine is inserted in the pistol (like pushing it down on a tabletop) and take up that 1/16 of an inch play between the bottom of the mag-well and the base plate , it will lock back with no issue. It seems to me that the magazines lock into the pistol too soon (shallow)....and are, therefore, not pushing up against the slide lock lever all the way when the magazine is empty.

Here is a photo of the gap I'm talking about:

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I just call SCCY and ask them to send me two new magazines.....or is there some sort of repair for this issue?

**I already took the magazines apart to see if the springs had been installed backwards....and they haven't.

Thank you all for any help on this!!
paulky_2000

Re: Slide will not hold open on an empty magazine, UNLESS..

Postby juror » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:02 am

Since this malfunction happens with both magazines, it seems the problem is with the frame. Call SCCY, they will help.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby paulky_2000 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:12 pm

I called SCCY this morning and, after discussing the issue, they decided to send me two new magazines to try out. When they arrive, I'll give them a try and let you know how it goes.

Gratuitous photo:

paulky_2000

Postby paulky_2000 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:02 pm

Well....the new magazines arrived! And, it turns out I was dead right! The new magazines lock the slide back perfectly. The old ones work and feed well, but do NOT hold the slide open. I'll be sending them back to SCCY so they may learn why....and perhaps improve their manufacturing method or quality control.

EVERYBODY WINS!! :D
paulky_2000

Postby FastEddie » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:39 pm

paulky_2000 wrote:Well....the new magazines arrived! And, it turns out I was dead right! The new magazines lock the slide back perfectly. The old ones work and feed well, but do NOT hold the slide open. I'll be sending them back to SCCY so they may learn why....and perhaps improve their manufacturing method or quality control.

EVERYBODY WINS!! :D

Yep, EVERYBODY WINS! Well, except for me and the several thousand others who received and continue to receive defective magazines. A problem which appears to have been known for about 5 or more years. You can continue with your celebration, but I think it is a poor company that cannot remedy a problem and continues to send out defective product
FastEddie
Forum Regular

Postby wrench459 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 pm

Please send all your defective mags and pistols to me. :mrgreen:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby juror » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:16 am

FastEddie wrote:
Yep, EVERYBODY WINS! Well, except for me and the several thousand others who received and continue to receive defective magazines. A problem which appears to have been known for about 5 or more years. You can continue with your celebration, but I think it is a poor company that cannot remedy a problem and continues to send out defective product

I LOVE the smell of a troll in the morning.
juror
Forum Regular

Postby paulky_2000 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Just for comparison purposes, here's a shot of that same gap with the new magazine inserted:

The difference isn't huge...but it's enough to make the difference in the slide locking back and NOT locking back.
paulky_2000

Postby daka » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:30 am

Paulky
WOW another WHITE SCCY, love it...I have not "yet" had a problem...but only fired it a few times... :D
daka

Postby paulky_2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:19 pm

daka wrote:Paulky
WOW another WHITE SCCY, love it...I have not "yet" had a problem...but only fired it a few times... :D

Best color, if you ask me! 8)
paulky_2000

Postby GoesBang » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:22 am

I’m betting that it was the follower.
SCCY CPX-2-CB
Ruger P95PR
Henry Golden Boy H004
Sig Sauer P226
RIA 1911 Tactical FS 45 ACP
RIA M206 38 Special 2"
RIA M200 38 Special 4”
Taurus PT940
Marlin 336W/989M2/Camp 9

USMC 1976-79 3rd MAW Camp Pendleton, CA
HTTP://www.X-CalibearUSA.com
GoesBang
Veteran Member

Postby paulky_2000 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 am

GoesBang wrote:I’m betting that it was the follower.

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that the new magazines fit deeper in the well than the old ones did.....which, by default, pushed harder on the slide lock.
paulky_2000

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion