Burrs On Ejected Cartridges

For the general discussion of SCCY Industries firearms. Includes the SCCY CPX-1 & CPX-2 compact 9mm and CPX-3 subcompact .380 ACP handguns.

Burrs On Ejected Cartridges

Postby Rockeye » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:58 pm

Good day folks! First let me apologize if there is already a post concerning this topic. I could not find it if it exist. I am new to the SCCY family and have a CPX2 and so far no real problems. I love the feel of the CPX2, even with the heavy trigger I still enjoy shooting it. I have only shot about 200 rounds and just noticed today the ejected cartridges have a burr or rough edge on the rim where the extractor would grab the cartridge. I do not see anything that jumps out at me on the pistol or magazines that could cause this. Has anyone else encountered this problem on their SCCY? If so what was the fix? My CPX2 is less than a month old.
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
Rockeye

Re: Burrs On Ejected Cartridges

Postby wrench459 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:16 pm

I only reload brass cases.
The aluminum and steel cases goes into the recycle bins.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Renaldow » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

What type of ammo are you using?
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby funflyer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:11 am

Problem? What exactly is the problem? We need more than just "the ejected cartridges have a burr".
Is your pistol having a feed issue, ejection issue? If it just a burr on the case rim then I fail to see a problem unless you reload and only if you plan on re-using the cases multiple times. Also, a picture is worth 1000 words.
funflyer

Postby Rockeye » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 pm

This was Winchester 115grn FMJ 200 loose round pack. I do not reload. The rounds did not have burrs on the before I loaded the magazines. They do after I fire them. I also have an M&P 40c and this has never happened with that pistol. Im not sure I can explain this any better. After I have shoot, the empty shells have a burr on the rim of the primer plate as if maybe the ejector could be causing the burr. This may not be a problem I have just never encountered this with my M&P. I hope that sheds a little more light.
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
Rockeye

Postby Rockeye » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Also no feeding or ejecting issues. Forgot to put that in my last post.
Rockeye

Postby funflyer » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:52 pm

If I were to guess, I'd say it's the bottom inside edge of the extractor that is digging into the case as the round is fed up under it. It's really a non-issue as long as you're not having feed or ejection problems. If it bothers you that much then you can always blend down (radius) the bottom edge of the extractor along with the bottom corner of the hook. This is actually a procedure done to 1911 extractors as part of the "tuning" to make the pistols reliable. Unless you're confident in your abilities and have a few swiss precision files, I wouldn't recommend messing with it unless you have a spare extractor to replace it with in the event that things don't go so well. Another option is to shoot a few boxes of steel case ammo and hope the extractor will wear-in naturally and not break in the process. Below is a pic of a 1911 extractor with an arrow pointing at where I'm talking about.
Attachments
extractor2.jpg
funflyer

Postby Rockeye » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Thank you very much funflyer, I guess its nothing to worry about then since I am not having feeding or ejection issues. I think I will try some steel case rounds and see what happens. I am no gunsmith so Ill just shoot and clean. :D Thanks again!
Rockeye

Postby wrench459 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:03 pm

Now how do you fix a spent case from hitting your forehead once in a blue moon? :D
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Renaldow » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 pm

Rockeye wrote:Thank you very much funflyer, I guess its nothing to worry about then since I am not having feeding or ejection issues. I think I will try some steel case rounds and see what happens. I am no gunsmith so Ill just shoot and clean. :D Thanks again!

Sccy warns against using steel cased ammo, and from my experience steel cased in a CPX-2 is just asking for problems. So, if there are problems, keep that in mind.
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby Rockeye » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:33 pm

Thanks Renaldow, that is very good info.
Rockeye

Postby ursamajor » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:13 am

Rockeye wrote:This was Winchester 115grn FMJ 200 loose round pack. I do not reload. The rounds did not have burrs on the before I loaded the magazines. They do after I fire them. I also have an M&P 40c and this has never happened with that pistol. Im not sure I can explain this any better. After I have shoot, the empty shells have a burr on the rim of the primer plate as if maybe the ejector could be causing the burr. This may not be a problem I have just never encountered this with my M&P. I hope that sheds a little more light.
the old extractors are crap. I had to send my slide, recoil rod, and barrel back.

They ended up sending me a new slide. The new extractor is different. Even with the stock spring the slide can be eased down, then goes right into batter-it no longer resists against the rim. I don’t know how to explain it, it’s angled.

In short, call Sccy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ursamajor
Forum Regular

Postby frank » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:59 am

wrench ----i have a polish p64 in 9mm makarov that tends to hit me in the forehead with ejected cases more times than not , and leaves scrapes
on the on the case sides too . functions flawlessly though . it a violent ,`snappy` little gun similar to a walther ppk.
frank
Forum Regular

Postby sccytoter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:56 pm

frank wrote:wrench ----i have a polish p64 in 9mm makarov that tends to hit me in the forehead with ejected cases more times than not , and leaves scrapes
on the on the case sides too . functions flawlessly though . it a violent ,`snappy` little gun similar to a walther ppk.

I had two of those, but sold them off. Darn fine little pistols, well made, but having large hands, I just could not run the little pistol well...oh, single action was great, but double action? Wow. It had to be about a fifteen pound pull!

OP, I would not fret too much about the beat up rim cases on your CPX. I have two of these, and my older one has always had that issue, but with around 450 rounds down the barrel, it still chugs along. Also, I ran one magazine of the Winchester Forge steel cased ammo through that gun, and it did not like it. I had two FTF in just one magazine. I would just stick to brass cased ammo in that one, and call it good. Just my humble opinion.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Return to SCCY Firearms General Discussion