First gun.

Welcome to the Sccy Firearms Forum. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your shooting, hobbies, interests, whatever comes to mind.

First gun.

Postby 3PICF4IL » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:30 pm

I just purchased a CPX-2 in green and black last week. It is the first gun I have owned and I've had no previous firearms experience. After lurking on the forum and watching several YouTube videos I feel like I could be up to par with the average gun owner on general knowledge of the cpx-2. I've put about 130 rounds of federal 115grain (I think) brass case ammo through it just shooting in my back yard. So far I've enjoyed the gun aside from two issues. One being the front frame pin is walking out to the right of the gun if holding it in my hand normally and the other being a FTF issue where the bullet will stop on the feed ramp when initially loading the gun and while shooting (less often) I've cleaned the gun twice since I got it. Last issue I've had that doesn't seem to bother anything is that one of my magazines will make a rattling sound when it has 10 rounds in it.

I've seen on here that some people use thread lock on their frame pins when they walk or super glue on either side to prevent it from happening again. Is this a good thing to do to stop it from happening after tapping them back into the center with a punch? Also what do you guys think could be causing the ftf issue? Thanks!
3PICF4IL

Re: First gun.

Postby wrench459 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Welcome
My first gun was in .177 caliber.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 pm

3PICF4IL - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you decided to join us.

Your three issues -

Yes, folks have used "thread lock on their frame pins when they walk or super glue" with apparent good success. Others have tried that without success.

"FTF issue where the bullet will stop on the feed ramp when initially loading the gun and while shooting (less often) I've cleaned the gun twice since I got it."

Your "last issue..... one of my magazines will make a rattling sound when it has 10 rounds in it."

I suggest you call SCCY. SCCY has a nice warranty - don't be afraid to invoke it. The walking pins are a common issue. SCCY has sent people slightly oversize pins in the past. The FTF might be helped if you polish the feed ramp but SCCY has sent people new slide assemblies (complete with slide, barrel, recoil rod assembly, extractor and firing pin) or new magazines to correct that issue. Tell them what you're experiencing and see what they'll do for you. The rattle in the magazines is normal. I have 5 magazines - they all rattle.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby 3PICF4IL » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 am

Thanks guys and thanks getvicious for answering my questions. I was looking on the SCCY website yesterday but couldn't find an email address or phone number to contact them. I'll have to look again. I was just in Wally World and saw a box of 150 Winchester USA made 115grain steel case rounds for $23 plus tax. The federal Ammo I got is $19 for 100 rounds but brass. I wonder if the SCCY will shoot that Winchester the same because I've had no issues with the federal ammo aside from the issues the gun or magazine cause.
3PICF4IL

Postby getvicious » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:24 am

3PICF4IL wrote:Thanks guys and thanks getvicious for answering my questions. I was looking on the SCCY website yesterday but couldn't find an email address or phone number to contact them. I'll have to look again. I was just in Wally World and saw a box of 150 Winchester USA made 115grain steel case rounds for $23 plus tax. The federal Ammo I got is $19 for 100 rounds but brass. I wonder if the SCCY will shoot that Winchester the same because I've had no issues with the federal ammo aside from the issues the gun or magazine cause.

SCCY has a contact page: http://www.sccy.com/contact/

The manual lists two email addresses and a phone number:
866-729-7599
sales@sccy.com
service@sccy.com

I’ve used both emails in the past and gotten replies. That is also the phone number I’ve used in the past.

SCCY is moving to TN next year so we’ll see if they get a different phone number as part of their move.

This is from the SCCY FAQ page: http://www.sccy.com/faqs/

“WHAT AMMUNITION….”
"Most name-brand brass cased ammo can be used. Do not use Steel Cased, Aluminum Cased, or reloads. +P ammunition is recommended only for very limited use in Gen 2 only. Standard grain (bullet weight): 115 and 124, and 147 in Gen 2"

The Gen-2 was introduced with the release of the CPX-2 in 2012. All SCCY pistols made since 2012 are Gen 2.

Some people have reported both steel and aluminum worked well for them. I called and asked about why they recommend against steel and aluminum. I was told they get many complaints about steel and aluminum so recommend against using those types of ammo.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Joe4 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am

Hello 3PICF4IL
I have a CPX1 with no issues after 200 round break-in with various brands of FMJ, had a few FTE at the beginning.
Of the two mags that came with the SKKY one rattles and one doesn't, both with 10 rounds of Monarch JHP.
Keep in touch and let us know how things work out.
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few that learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. (Will Rogers)
Joe4

Postby Renaldow » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I've been a proud owner and carrier of CPX-2 for almost 3 years now, black on black.

I've got a pin that walks a little. It only does it while shooting it, so I just check it when I'm cleaning it. Doesn't move that much, and doesn't move on its own.

I have four magazines, all of them enjoy rattling as often as possible. When I bought my SCCY I contacted support about the mags rattling. They sent me out two more for free. Those two rattled too, but they were free and work well. :)

Not saying anyone else should contact support due to noisy mags or anything...
Renaldow
Forum Regular

Postby 3PICF4IL » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:41 pm

I contacted SCCY via email and Denise has sent me larger frame pins and two new mags! I noticed on my sister-in-laws cpx-2, the frame pins are flush on both sides of the gun and are noticeably thicker than mine. Her guns serial number starts with 4 whereas mine is 366xxx. They must have changed to bigger frame pins somewhere between mine and hers. I have put about forty more rounds through it including more federal 115grain fmj, federal hydra shoks, and some Remington fmj. I should be getting the package from sccy this coming week sometime.
3PICF4IL

Postby economod » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:23 pm

3PICF4IL wrote:... I noticed on my sister-in-laws cpx-2, the frame pins are flush on both sides of the gun and are noticeably thicker than mine. Her guns serial number starts with 4 whereas mine is 366xxx. They must have changed to bigger frame pins somewhere between mine and hers. ...

Thanks for the heads-up.
Went to Rural King today to check it out, and I agree ... flush on both sides and noticeably thicker.
They used to be 3/32 x 15/16. They now appear to be 1/8 x 1, without any concentric recess in the frame as before.
Not as large as the original design, but certainly a step in the right direction.
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Postby 3PICF4IL » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:42 pm

So I got the frame pins and two new mags from SCCY Friday in the mail. It only took two days from them to get from their facility to me out in the middle of nowhere in eastern KY. I removed the front frame pin which took some beating with a hammer and a 1/16" punch. Putting the new frame pin in was extremely hard. I got it almost even on both sides but not quite and decided to call it a night. I did manage to scratch/ gouge the frame as the punch slipped off the pin a few times :cry:
IMG_0696.JPG
Scratches on frame

Here is the difference in original and large pins
IMG_0694.JPG

I will try to shoot some tomorrow and I will post an update
3PICF4IL

Postby economod » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:40 am

Good morning.
Your first pic shows the typical concentric recess around the pin. I suspect it provides clearance for a starter-punch tool.
Your second pic shows the traditional 3/32 x 15/16 pin, next to a 1" oversize diameter pin (+.0005" to +.0025").

These shouldn't be confused with the thicker pins you noticed about your sister-in-law's later model cpx.

My assessments are based upon hearsay and conjecture.
An inexpensive caliper could establish some actual dimensions. hth
2016 SCCY WOOD SHIMS > viewtopic.php?p=50025#p50025
9mm AMMO LENGTH > viewtopic.php?p=48248#p48248
CPX2 DESTROYED > viewtopic.php?p=51413#p51413
economod
Veteran Member

Return to Introductions