First time gun owner

Welcome to the Sccy Firearms Forum. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your shooting, hobbies, interests, whatever comes to mind.

First time gun owner

Postby Thorn » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:18 pm

Hello all,

Thank you SCCYForum for the add. As the title says, first time gun owner here. My brother is more the gun enthusiast in the family. But situations dictate one must grow and change. So after a lengthy research I found the SCCY fit me perfectly. Any advise is welcome. Thank you.
Thorn

Re: First time gun owner

Postby tripleb » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Thorn wrote:Any advise is welcome. Thank you.

Make sure you field strip/clean/oil before your first range outing. You might want to buy several different brands of ammo since some CPX's are picky about ammo.
tripleb
Seasoned Member

Postby getvicious » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us. Let us know how it works for you.

My advice? Read the manual. Get familiar with operating the pistol. Take a pistol use / safety class if you haven't already - or get some instruction / training from someone with experience. If you're in a state that has Conceal Carry, get the permit. Practice with your new CPX so you're very comfortable shooting it.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:04 pm

Be careful of the flinch.
For sure place hundreds of rounds down range.
Be at one with the SKY. :mrgreen:
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby Thorn » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:28 pm

Thank you all for the replies and guidance. I do have my CCW, and did rent the Gen1. We ran about 30 rounds through it and it seemed to fit me well. My wife recently got her own personal carry pistol and we did the full disassembly and oiling on it. I believe I will ask if I could sit the salesman and watch him go through the first oiling and check of weapon when I buy my Gen2.

I tend to wear jeans and shorts mostly, my t-shirt untucked. I was thinking of an ankle holster (for the jeans) and maybe a bellyband for the shorts. Im height & weight proportionate. Opinions and recomendations please. Thank you.

Member of The Patriot Guard Riders
Associated with The POW/MIA Foundation
Thorn

Postby wrench459 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:14 pm

I don't care where you carry the sccy.

I would suggest using grease on the frame rails .
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby getvicious » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:51 am

I mostly carry OWC (under a sweatshirt (hoodie) when the weather is cold enough. Here in NC that's about now thru early March.

Most the time I pocket carry in a back pocket or cargo pocket with cargo pants / shots. I have a couple pair of camo cargo shorts that front pocket carry works with.

I don't like IWB but I know others do. For those who like that style of carry it seems to work well.

I'm not a fan of ankle carry. The pistol is a long way away if you need it quickly and the CPX is a large thing to hide under a pant leg as you walk around and sit or squat. I suppose it's better than not carrying but I'd rather carry in a backpack than on my ankle.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Merc6 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:32 am

Welcome! CPX is an in between gun for learning on IMHO. The trigger pull you really gotta get used to vs other guns on the market. For me, the size and capacity of a 9mm can't be beat. I'd run off looking for better and they were usually .380 and it 5/6 rounds. Try out perfecta, Winchester white box, and federal champion to see if it likes those. Also snag the small box of Federal HST and see if it feeds those as well.

For me IWB is the way and pocket is 2nd. I'm using unkle mikes size 4 for pocket and the Foxx fake Alien 1.0 look a like for IWB. With the alien style holsters the weight is spread out over a large mass making the already light Sccy feel like it's 100% plastic unloaded water gun.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Postby sccytoter » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Hello and welcome from Indiana! :D
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Jvandy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Thorn wrote:I tend to wear jeans and shorts mostly, my t-shirt untucked. I was thinking of an ankle holster (for the jeans) and maybe a bellyband for the shorts. Im height & weight proportionate. Opinions and recomendations please.

It doesn't matter so much where you carry, as long as its consistant. Like don't switch between ankle and waistband. In the heat of the moment if God forbid you even have to draw on someone, you don't want the adrenaline rush to cause you to reach for the wrong place, in my humble opinion. Try a bunch of different holsters and settle on the one that fits you best. Mine ended up being the Alien Gear IWB style and I'm heavy for my height (I'm a fat guy). Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Jvandy

Postby Merc6 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:51 am

Jvandy wrote:
Thorn wrote:I tend to wear jeans and shorts mostly, my t-shirt untucked. I was thinking of an ankle holster (for the jeans) and maybe a bellyband for the shorts. Im height & weight proportionate. Opinions and recomendations please.

It doesn't matter so much where you carry, as long as its consistant. Like don't switch between ankle and waistband. In the heat of the moment if God forbid you even have to draw on someone, you don't want the adrenaline rush to cause you to reach for the wrong place, in my humble opinion. Try a bunch of different holsters and settle on the one that fits you best. Mine ended up being the Alien Gear IWB style and I'm heavy for my height (I'm a fat guy). Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I went from Foxx to Alien 3.0 and there is a big difference even tho same style holster.
SCCY CPX-2 CB SOLD
SW1911SC E Series 2- Tone .45 Auto
Glock 17 Gen 3
PF940 V1.5
Remington 870 Express
Merc6
Seasoned Member

Return to Introductions