Hello From the Tampa Bay Area

Welcome to the Sccy Firearms Forum. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your shooting, hobbies, interests, whatever comes to mind.

Hello From the Tampa Bay Area

Postby Whitebear620 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Hi guys.
Just got my new SCCY CPX-1 with the FDE frame. I've been CCWing a Ruger SR22 for about three years and finally got the spare money for a new 9mm pistol. Went with the SCCY because of the price, ambidextrous safety, capacity, and the fact that it's made in the US.
Took it apart and cleaned/lubricated it with some CLP, getting my dryfire in to get used to the trigger now (it's actually a lot better than my SR22 DA trigger :mrgreen: ). I'm a southpaw, but this is one of the first pistols I've found where the mag release isn't a pain to hit with my middle finger, it was a pain in the ass to do with my SR22. Have a new shell for my Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster on the way. It's currently sitting at the house unloaded until I get spare time for a range trip, I'll start carrying it after I run some rounds through it.
Overall, I'm liking mine so far.
Whitebear620

Re: Hello From the Tampa Bay Area

Postby Mrbone » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Welcome from the Tampa bay area as well
Mrbone
Veteran Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:15 pm

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:27 am

Whitebear620 - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us. Be sure to let us know how you like your new CPX-1 after you shoot it some.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrench459 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm looking forward to a range report with your new side handle.
wrench459
Veteran Member

Postby scottselby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Whitebear620 wrote:Hi guys.
Just got my new SCCY CPX-1 with the FDE frame. I've been CCWing a Ruger SR22 for about three years and finally got the spare money for a new 9mm pistol. Went with the SCCY because of the price, ambidextrous safety, capacity, and the fact that it's made in the US.
Took it apart and cleaned/lubricated it with some CLP, getting my dryfire in to get used to the trigger now (it's actually a lot better than my SR22 DA trigger :mrgreen: ). I'm a southpaw, but this is one of the first pistols I've found where the mag release isn't a pain to hit with my middle finger, it was a pain in the ass to do with my SR22. Have a new shell for my Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster on the way. It's currently sitting at the house unloaded until I get spare time for a range trip, I'll start carrying it after I run some rounds through it.
Overall, I'm liking mine so far.

I have a CPX2 myself (also in the dark earth). Using white box Winchester 115, I was able to shoot a group of about two inches at 20 yards. I am going to get either a blue or crimson next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
scottselby

Postby sccytoter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 pm

Hello OP, and welcome! Have you had the chance to shoot that new CPX yet? :?:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Whitebear620 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Not yet, hoping to take it to the range this week after we get paid. So for now it's just sitting unloaded at the house.
Whitebear620

Postby sccytoter » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:16 pm

Whitebear620 wrote:Not yet, hoping to take it to the range this week after we get paid. So for now it's just sitting unloaded at the house.
Bummer. I took mine to the range this morning, along with the 10/22 and my AR...man it was cold. I only ran 20 rounds of Blazer 115 grain FMJ's through it, hands were shaking from the cold, but it chucked those empties out with aplomb. The only thing I don't like about the gun is the trigger, and it's long reset. I had to take my thin glove off the shooting hand, otherwise I could not get the trigger to go forward far enough to reset. :whist:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Whitebear620 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Finally got out to the range. Took the SCCY and my AR.

I really need to learn the trigger, did a lot of dryfire beforehand but I'm still shooting left (southpaw), I know it's not the pistol as my brother in-law put a few rounds through it and got his twice between the eyes. I'm thinking I need to switch my technique, been trying to do more research online, I see that some people say to shoot DAO with the joint of your finger and not the pad, I'll try that and see if it improves.

100 rounds, 3 failure to feeds that I believe were from limp wristing because it happened while my brother in-law was shooting it, told him to switch hands because maybe his hand was just tired and it didn't happen again.
Whitebear620

Postby sccytoter » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Nice Whitebear620. I have always used the distal joint, of my finger, to pull on the go switch. Some guns are easier than others, and the CPX is a long reach, but my hands are large and can still use that first trigger finger joint.

I am right handed, and I tend to send rounds left of center...I just drifted my rear sight to the right a little, and the problem was solved. :wink:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby Whitebear620 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:50 pm

Got out to the range while visiting family in Daytona just before Christmas. Much better now, it was definitely that I needed more practice and more finger on the trigger. You can see that I pulled some shots still, I knew I'd pulled them as soon as it went bang. This was the AR and the SCCY.
Some guy decided to try to show off on the range by going full auto, barely hit his target, maybe four times with at least a 20 round mag. So I decided to slap a full 30 round mag in the AR, push it out to 75 while standing and show him how it was done with steady fire on semi auto. I did miss four times with the AR though.
Whitebear620

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Nice shooting!
SCCY CPX2 Glock 19
Sig 938 Beretta 21
Kel Tec PF9 Ruger MKI
Taurus PT111G2. Taurus TCP 738
Bersa Thunder 380
EAA Witness
Silverbullet
Forum Regular