Intro from the Tampa Bay area

Welcome to the Sccy Firearms Forum. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your shooting, hobbies, interests, whatever comes to mind.

Intro from the Tampa Bay area

Postby SEP » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:30 am

Just obtained a SCCY CPX-2 in a trade over the weekend. First one I've ever owned. Have not shot it yet but hope to have the opportunity next Monday. I do like the look/feel though so I'm hoping it is a reliable performer.

Let's see, senior member of Glock Talk (under a different user name). LEO for 27 years. Firearms instructor for 21 years. Carry a Glock 26 off duty and am a Glock fan...but not a fan boy. :wink:

I'm also a fan of Taurus and have had quite a few over the years. With one exception they've been good shooting guns for me. Big fan of things that reliably go bang regardless of the label. In other words I don't like paying extra for a 'name' if I can get something that does the same thing at less cost.

I own and run forums on emergency preparedness and martial arts.

I like long walks on the beach and kittens but that's probably too much information. Anyway, until this weekend I had no reason to look into SCCY firearms. Now that I have one I'm looking to familiarize myself with the pros and cons. So far I'm happy to see they have reports of good customer service.

I'd like to see round counts from folks that have shot it alot. Also if any particular ammo brand or weight is a friend or foe of the gun.

Looking forward to learning. :)
SEP

Re: Intro from the Tampa Bay area

Postby getvicious » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:48 pm

SEP - Howdy and welcome from NC. Glad you found us.

I've had two SCCY CPX-1 pistols. the first was the original model. I had several issues with it. SCCY stood behind it when I had each issue and replaced the pistol with a 2nd Gen model in 2012. I had 1877 rounds thru my original pistol and have 670 rounds thru my "new" CPX.

This is the ammo I've used, all worked well. Some feel better to me when I shoot it than others but I haven't had any malfunctions with any of this ammo. The Ruger Polycase ARX 80 Grain +P is my current carry ammo.

IMHO, the smoothest shooting FMJ ammo is the Freedom Munitions 115 Grain RN (FMJ), RWS Sport Line 124 Grain FMJ and the TulAmmo BrassMAXX 115 Grain FMJ. The smoothest shooting HP / SD ammo is the Dynamic Research Technologies 85 Grain HP Frangible +P, Hornady Critical Defense 115 Grain FTX, Ruger Polycase ARX 80 Grain +P and the WWB 147 Grain JHP.

Blazer 115 Grain FMJ
Dynamic Research Technologies 85 Grain HP Frangible +P
Federal American Eagle 124 Grain FMJ
Federal Champion 115 Grain FMJ
Federal Premium 135 Grain HYDRA-SHOK JHP
Freedom Munitions 115 Grain RN (FMJ)
Hornady Critical Defense 115 Grain FTX
Hornady ZombieMAX 115 Grain Z-MAX
Magtech 115 Grain FMJ
Magtech Guardian Gold 124 Grain JHP
Perfecta 115 Grain FMJ (Italy - CIP)
PPU 115 Grain FMJ
Remington UMC 115 Grain JHP
Remington UMC 115 Grain FMJ (MC)
Ruger Polycase ARX 80 Grain +P
RWS Sport Line 124 Grain FMJ
TulAmmo BrassMAXX 115 Grain FMJ
WWB 115 Grain FMJ
WWB 124 Grain FMJ NATO
WWB 147 Grain JHP
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Mark38090 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Welcome from Brooker Florida.
Mark38090
Forum Regular

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:40 am

Welcome ALSO from Tampa Bay.
My story is a bit like GetV's ..
I had a Gen 1, I had a small issue and they upgraded me to a Gen2
These are not Glocks.. You are not going to put 14000 rounds thru them without an issue. They are meant to be carry guns not range queens
The nice thing is the company does stand behind them, so IF you have an issue..
Sounds like you have a back up gun in case you have a problem! LOL
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby SEP » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:22 am

I appreciate the welcome and replies. Looking on YT, the biggest issue I'm currently seeing is with the magazines. One YT video has what looks like an easy fix by using a Scotch Brite pad to polish up the lips on the top of the magazine that contact the top round. That video is in post #8 if anyone is interested:

http://sepboard.us/showthread.php?tid=823

I haven't fired it yet so I don't know if it is an issue with any of my magazines. But it's such a simple 'fix' that I may do it prior to shooting on Monday as a precaution. May polish the feed ramp as well for grins.

If it works out this may make a decent 'trunk' gun. Or perhaps place it somewhere in the house that is concealed but easy to get to if needed.
SEP

Return to Introductions