Delays and Secrecy

Forum for the discussion of Sccy MPX-9 9mm micro-compact pistol modifications, holsters, and other after-market items.

Delays and Secrecy

Postby Rookhawk » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:53 pm

Last edited by Rookhawk on Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rookhawk

Postby Captain Ray » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:07 am

I, for one, hear ya'! It is frustrating... kind of like only being able to open one Christmas present on Christmas eve.. and having to wait until morning before you open any more....

I was able to quench my thirst for the MPX-9 by buying an XD .45ACP!!! (Not exactly the same gun.. BUT IT'S A NEW GUN!!) Actually.. Lilly bought it for me... but... IT'S A NEW GUN!!

I am still waiting for the MPX.. looking forward to it very much!! Last I heard they were thinking sometime mid August.. I guess I will just have to wait.

Raymond
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day." ~Abraham Lincoln~
Captain Ray
Veteran Member

Postby Rock and Glock » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:08 am

I can sympathize with this, but, with sidearms, can one ever have too many?  :o   Actually, I do agree in part, but I tend to have a lot of patience, having lived through 25 years of "pre-launch" vapor from MS and Bill Gates!  :shock:   Anyway, welcome to the board, and keep us posted on your guns!   Thank you.
Rock and Glock

"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory."  Leonardo da Vinci
Rock and Glock
Veteran Member

Postby xingr8 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:06 pm

There is no doubt that America's prosperity has been made possible by catering to the human drive for immediate gratification.  But you have to have seen a few small business ventures from the inside to appreciate what a small company like Skyy is up against.  They are not a huge company like the big name gun manufacturers and I can't imagine that they have the resources that the large companies do.  I have no doubt that everyone at Skyy is humpin' to get the MPX-9 out as quickly as possible with all the physical and financial resources they have available to them.   I would be surprised if they are holding anything back, because they are probably still working out the details and they may still have to change things to make them work.  It would be a mistake to firm up the design details too soon and then have to repair alot of guns after they have shipped.    They are also wise not to drum up alot more demand than they will have the production capacity to fill any time soon.  Rookhawk has pretty much outlined the alternatives to the MPX-9.  If you can find something better out there for a reasonable price, go for it.  That is what capitalism is all about.  There is also an old cliche..  "Good things come to those who wait."
xingr8
Forum Regular

Postby sigma_pete » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:58 pm

Ditto on xingr9's comments. As I posted recently, my dealer's latest CPX-1 order has been back ordered for 6 weeks (7 now). Skyy appears to be having a problem keeping up with cuirrent demand, muchless demand for two new models. Or, perhaps they've been diverting production resources into stockpiling the new models so that they'll have enough on-hand to ship with the initial launch. Who knows?! I just wish them continued success.
Sigma_Pete
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor

George Orwell: "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
sigma_pete
Seasoned Member

Postby ronlog » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 pm

I'm with you both. Skyy is still a small company in the process of making a name for themselves. It has to be hard to answer all of our questions, back up the warranty on the present model, keep up enough production to keep it  on the market and design and build two new models. They are not making expensive guns, so the magin of profit can't be real big.

I think we need to give them some space to get the job done. I am convinced the wait will be worth it.
The second amendment is our first defense.
ronlog
Topic Moderator

Postby DANGER1 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:22 am

I agree with Rookhawk and getting tired of waiting also. You don't pre-release a "teaser" 6+ months in advance other than trying to stop people from buying something else that they are thinking of making. If the MPX is coming "this Summer" they have to have the specs/features by now, prototypes made and in testing if they are going into production within 2 more months! I agree also they should take their time to get it right the first time which seems a bit questionable from the quality issues I see on this forum, I just don't like the game playing. Time to release more specific info and realistic production dates or I am buying a Rohr. or Kahr next week myself.......
DANGER1

Postby xingr8 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:25 am

If you 'experientally challenged' dudes are looking for a pity party because you think anyone is playing games with you or that it would be smarter for Skyy to release info sooner or later than they have chosen to, i suggest that you try running your own business for twenty or thirty years and then come back and tell us how you see things.  If you can't wait, it's your call, but don't whine about it and don't let the door hit you on the *$$ on the way out.
xingr8
Forum Regular

Postby Captain Ray » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:45 pm

LOL @ Xingr8!!

I thought I was the only one was ever harsh!! You are right of course.. but it sucks coming back the next day and thinking to yourself... "Maybe I could have said that a little bit nicer?!"

LMAO

Raymond
"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go. My own wisdom and that of all about me seemed insufficient for that day." ~Abraham Lincoln~
Captain Ray
Veteran Member

Postby xingr8 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:27 am

Lessons from Captain Ray about being nicer? ....  :shock: ..   :oops: ..  Maybe I do need a vacation.   I've been spending too much time lately cleaning up after people who think talking nice is more important than telling the truth.  LOL   I didn't mean to unload my frustration about that here.  I'll try to play nice so Captain Ray won't have to take me out to the back yard.    :)
xingr8
Forum Regular

Postby DANGER1 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:09 am

In response to xingr8; I have run small companies for over 27 years, currently a marketing firm. So while you may not like or agree with my opinion (nor may Skyy), I feel well qualified to give it......

p.s. if I wasn't interested in buying the MPX I wouldn't be wasting my breath...what is a FORUM for? to heap praise on a manufacturer?
DANGER1

Postby DeanoD » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:58 pm

My kids get teased by the latest video game console every few years. I still wait about a year after it's released to actually purchase it and by then it's a total surprise.

Just because the website shows a pic, there isn't any reason to get excited until it's ready to ship (actually here). Even then, the first round is probably going to have a hiccup or two, so try not to scream too loud when there is a problem.

I appreciate anyone who wants to vent and share their thoughts. I do look forward to the new lineup, but not sure it will make my Xmas list.
DeanoD

Postby rachilders » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:57 pm

We all need to remember that SKYY is not just a new company but a small one. They not only have to work on their new releases, but keep up with sales and repairs of their current guns. With the on again-off again debate about SKYY being a clone of Kel-Tec, I'm sure that SKYY is working it's hardest to be first with their new single stack 9mm pistol. At the same time, I hope they take the time (frustrating as it is for those of use who are waiting) to make sure the bugs are worked out BEFORE the gun is released rather than having to fix them afterwards.
If wronged grant me justice. If denied justice, grant me revenge.
rachilders
Seasoned Member

Postby Pocket_Pistol » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:10 pm

This is standard practice in the industry IMHO. If I recall correctly, the Ruger P-89 (as in 1989) wasn't released until the early nineties. It is often a full year or more from first introduction until first sale. In the case of Rohrbaugh more like 5 years. The Skyy facility is VERY small. On the front door is a sign reading "Absolutely No Factory Tours". It is located in a light industrial strip mall along with other small manufacturing businesses.
Pocket Pistol

"No longer waiting for the MPX"
Pocket_Pistol
Veteran Member

Postby Brian Eicher » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:52 pm

There are a few things I feel the need to clear up in this thread, primarily to the first poster.

1) I'm not sure where the original poster got information that we planned to release the MPX line in 2004 or 2005.  We did not start shipping the CPX-1 until August 1st, 2005.  We released information about the MPX line at the same time of the SHOT show this year.  We felt it was a good time to release the information since we did not attend the SHOT show.

2) We are not trying to prevent anyone from buying any other firearm.  We are simply stating what we are working on.  I can't help that you recieved false information and got frustrated.

3) I do believe the intent of your post was to bash Skyy Industries.  You posted false information, criticize how we are handling the MPX release, and had a negative tone in your entire post.  There are very few things in the world of manufacturing that don't get delayed.  Even the larger more established companies have delays.

To everyone else that is reasonable about this, thank you.  We are a small company, but so far we have succeeded in what so many others have failed.  Most new handgun manufacturers don't even make it to the market.  Of those that do, most don't even make it one year without going out of business.  As of tomorrow, we'll have been on the market for a year and we are only growing.  As Pocket Pistol said, we have a relatively small facility, but we have to start somewhere.  The only info I will give out about the MPX line is that it will be on the market when we are ready to release it.  Whether it is worth the wait is something you will have to decide.
Vice President of Skyy Industries
Brian Eicher
Skyy Industries Employee

Next

Return to Sccy MPX-9