Ivory handled Knives

and other edged tools.

Ivory handled Knives

Postby Dickens » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:43 pm

Here are a couple of rare birds.

First up is a 2009 Great Eastern Northfield Toothpick with mammoth ivory covers. It is serial #16 of only 16 that were ever produced. All 16 are serial numbered.

Next is a 2011 Great Eastern Northfield Powderhorn with elephant ivory covers. Only 12 of these were ever made and none had serial numbers.

Last edited by Dickens on Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dickens

Re: Ivory handled Knives

Postby getvicious » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:52 pm

How did you get those? I thought the sale of ivory in the US has been illegal since 1989.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Dickens » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:37 pm

Mammoth ivory is over 10,000 years old so it is obviously exempt from the ban. Elephant ivory is legal to own and sell IF you have a CITES certificate that verifies that the ivory was harvested prior to 1990. I do have a certificate from the supplier of the ivory made out to the manufacturer of the knife certifying its legality. The only stipulation is that the knife cannot be sold outside of the US.
Dickens

Postby getvicious » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:07 am

Ah - regulations and complicated legal issues. They are very nice looking and, I bet, worth a bit of money too. You're a lucky person to have them. I'm envious. 8)
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Dickens » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 pm

getvicious wrote:Ah - regulations and complicated legal issues. They are very nice looking and, I bet, worth a bit of money too. You're a lucky person to have them. I'm envious. 8)

Actually, I'm selling off my collection. I'm getting on in years and have nobody to leave them to. I had over 300 Great Eastern knives but now I'm down to around 70 left. I would sell the two ivories if you're interested.
Dickens

Return to Knives