Called Service and they wanted me to commit a Felony

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

Called Service and they wanted me to commit a Felony

Postby Dudeman » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:18 am

I'm havign trouble with FTFs in my new CPX 2. The firing pin is not hitting the center of the round. So I called Service. She told me to take the gun, lock it up, wrap the original box, and take to the Post Office. Then tell the Post office that I was shipping a machine part to save on shipping. They get these packages all the time.

All my reseach has been that a handgun must be sent by common carrier and not by the USPS. Why would Service ask me to commit a Felony? Why didn't they send me a Fed Ex shipping label as it warrenty problem.
Dudeman

Re: Called Service and they wanted me to commit a Felony

Postby HootmonSccy » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Did you specifically ask them to send you a label??
If you don't feel comfortable in following their recommendation, then ask for a label.. IF they won't provide a label (Explaining why), (I'd be surprised) then ship it back the way YOU feel most comfortable..
They will take care of you once the pistol has arrived..
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby getvicious » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:05 am

tell the Post office that I was shipping a machine part to save on shipping

I've seen that advice on other forums. Usually with the advice to disassemble the gun and ship it in pieces. IMHO that's an unwise thing to do.

Yes, only an FFL may ship a handgun via the USPS. Now I bet others do it all the time, after all, there are only so many Postal Inspectors. If a non-FFL sends a gun via USPS and it is discovered, they will confiscate the gun.

Normal people must use a Common or Contract Carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.) as you said. But the law does not require next day or over night shipping. At least not the version I have a copy of ("FEDERAL FIREARMS REGULATIONS REFERENCE GUIDE 2005 ATF Publication 5300.4 Revised September 2005"). According to the "FIREARMS LAW ADMINISTERED BY THE POSTAL SERVICE TITLE 18, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 83, Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable and shall not be deposited in or carried by the mails or delivered by any officer or employee of the Postal Service." and "Whoever knowingly deposits for mailing or delivery, or knowingly causes to be delivered by mail according to the direction thereon, or at any place to which it is directed to be delivered by the person to whom it is addressed, any pistol, revolver, or firearm declared nonmailable by this section, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Why would
Service ask me to commit a Felony?
I choose to believe they aren't aware of the actual law and were just telling you what others have done.

Why didn't they send me a Fed Ex shipping label as it warrenty problem.
I had the same experience recently. I need to send my CPX-1 in for repair for a stress crack in the slide. I asked them to send a prepaid shipping label, which they have done for me in the past (February 2011) but they refused this time. I've no idea why, other than the warranty does not state SCCY will pay for shipping, and they've gone thru some changes this year. Apparently their policy has changed.

When I do send it in I will use UPS Ground as there is no law requiring anything else. I have an on-line UPS account so print my own labels. I'll pack it, print my label and drop it at a UPS shipping location on the way into work, simple. I've done this before and it works well, just like shipping anything else. I just be sure to "declare" the contents when I do the label, oh and insure it for it's replacement value.

As far as I know, anybody can set up an on-line account with UPS or FedEx and print their own shipping labels. You might also take your gun to an FFL and see how much they will charge to ship it for you (they can use priority mail).
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby Sccy-Captain » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Dudeman wrote:I'm havign trouble with FTFs in my new CPX 2. The firing pin is not hitting the center of the round. So I called Service. She told me to take the gun, lock it up, wrap the original box, and take to the Post Office. Then tell the Post office that I was shipping a machine part to save on shipping. They get these packages all the time.

All my reseach has been that a handgun must be sent by common carrier and not by the USPS. Why would Service ask me to commit a Felony? Why didn't they send me a Fed Ex shipping label as it warrenty problem.

I assure you all that Sccy Industries inc. does NOT ask any customers to commit crime(s). There may have been a mis-understanding during your conversation with Grace.You were simply informed of what others have done, it is YOUR decision and YOUR responsibility on how you ship your firearm to us. We can not be held liable for what you do, legal or otherwise.
Call tags are no longer being sent, this is a policy change here at Sccy. I am not in charge of that department so I can not tell you the reason for the change. I just fix them when I get them. Simply put: get the gun to us however you see fit, and we will take care of everything else. We use U.S.P.S. for return shipping and it does require an adult (21 years of age or older) signature for delivery.
Our "Limited Lifetime Warranty" does not state anything in regards to Sccy paying for any shipping (see page 25 of the owners manual). Most companies require the customer to pay for shipping both ways, here at Sccy we only ask that you pay shipping to get it here, we take care of the rest.
No such thing as knock down power,
only knock down accuracy
Sccy-Captain
Veteran Member

Postby rogertc1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:38 pm

I feel the OP is a troll. Hopefully he or she will prove me wrong...
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby HootmonSccy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:26 pm

rogertc1 wrote:I feel the OP is a troll. Hopefully he or she will prove me wrong...

When I sent in my Gen 1 for repairs, I was told that others had sent their pistols in with a description of "machined parts" as well, so I'm not sure they are a troll.
I sent my pistol in with UPS as we have an account at work.. I did NOT send it over night as it is a one day ride from Tampa anyways, so no need for the extra expense.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby Corey M. » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 am

getvicious wrote:
tell the Post office that I was shipping a machine part to save on shipping

I've seen that advice on other forums. Usually with the advice to disassemble the gun and ship it in pieces. IMHO that's an unwise thing to do.

Normal people must use a Common or Contract Carrier (UPS, FedEx, etc.) as you said. But the law does not require next day or over night shipping.

as far as shipping in pieces with USPS, it's still considered a gun if all the pieces are in the same box. also, UPS and Fed-Ex do require you to send overnight only and fed-ex also requires you to remove the firing pin or barrel to make the gun inoperable.
Corey M.

Postby HootmonSccy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:29 am

Corey M. wrote: fed-ex also requires you to remove the firing pin or barrel to make the gun inoperable.

Isn't this redundant??? IF I'm sending the pistol in, it likely IS inoperable.. :roll:
Ben Franklin
HootmonSccy
Topic Moderator

Postby GKC » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:36 pm

I've seen this "advice" several times on several gun forums (not from a manufacturer, or a representative of the manufacturer, government official, etc.) Many people have said to label package as machine parts, etc. and send it USPS. That is against the law.

What you can do is send parts of the gun, like the slide, via USPS as long as they are not the serialized part of the gun that is considered the gun in the law. Most handguns have the serial number on the frame, so even if you remove the slide, barrel, and recoil assembly, without which the gun is obviously inoperable, you still cannot legally send the frame via USPS to anyone, even the manufacturer, unless you have a FFL.

I haven't bought a SCCY handgun, yet, and in my decision making process, I sent an e-mail to SCCY asking if they do pay for incoming shipping (returns for warranty service.) I got a very prompt reply from the sales manager, Brian Collins, who said that the issuing of a prepaid label was done on a case-by-case basis. (He also answered some other questions that I asked.) I would imagine that if your pistol broke on the first firing, or was not functional even before firing it the first time, SCCY would issue a prepaid shipping label (this is MY opinion only) whereas if you had owned the gun for some time, and had fired it extensively, they would not. As Mr. Collins suggested, and has been my experience, a gun dealer/shop can ship it for you much cheaper than you can ship it yourself...my local gun shop only charges me their cost when I ship a gun, even if I am selling one and shipping it to another FFL.

There are some manufacturers who pay for shipping both ways (Ruger, S&W, and Springfield come to mind) and there are some who don't (Beretta, Kimber, and SIG, in my experience.) Given the very low cost of this pistol, I suppose it is difficult to absorb shipping costs for the lifetime of the gun.
GKC
Seasoned Member

Postby ScadaSkid » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:16 am

I found these sites that answer a lot of questions about shipping firearms. I hope it's helpful. (I work nights so I get bored and surf)

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

http://www.gunbroker.com/support/suppor ... faqid=1118

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/t ... index.html Nothing about removing a firing pin that I found

https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resou ... r=firearms

http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms-fre ... earms-usps
CPX-2
Kahr CW-9
Walther P22
Taurus PT-809C
Smith & Wesson M&P Bodyguard 380
ScadaSkid
Seasoned Member

Postby rogertc1 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:58 am

sorry 2 yr old thread
I HAVE MORE GUNS THAN YOU.
rogertc1
Premium Member

Postby B777Bill200 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 pm

As Per Sccy-Captain "Most companies require the customer to pay for shipping both ways". I'm sorry but just in my own experience with returning guns for warranty work Both Ruger and Smith & Wesson sent me a UPS package slip via Email that day, I didn't pay a dime, no issues, turn around time for both was less than a week. On a personal note about a year ago I called SCCY regarding some jamming issues I was having, after finding out the price to ship it back to the company, It wasn't worth it. Luckily the gun is solid now after putting 500 rounds through it.
B777Bill200

Postby GKC » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:55 am

While there are some companies who require the customer to pay for shipping the gun TO them for warranty work, I've never encountered one who required the customer to pay for return shipping. Perhaps on custom work...although I did send a gun to Springfield Armory for some custom work, and while I had to pay for shipping the gun to them, they paid to ship it back.

This is a sticking point I am having with deciding on buying a SCCY gun. I did ask, and was told by a sales manager at SCCY, that prepaid shipping for warranty repair was decided on a case by case basis. That is of some comfort, but less comforting than a full commitment, like you get from S&W, Ruger, or Springfield, to name a few. If I pay $280 for a gun, and then pay $70 to return it to them for warranty work, that doesn't make it so much of a bargain anymore. If I can have my local gun shop ship it for me, and pay their costs (which I've found a couple who will, and their cost runs about $30) it's somewhat better, but still...if one of the reasons to consider a SCCY gun is price, then shipping costs (especially if two or more visits are required) can put it in the same price range of other guns whose maker does pay for all shipping. For example, I can buy a S&W SD9VE for $319 at Academy Sports, and S&W will pay for shipping both ways. (Actually, the SD9VE that I bought was on sale for $299.)

I also have read on a few manufacturer's warranty statements something like this: "We warrant our guns to be free from defects for life, and we will repair any functional defects (cosmetic only 1 year) at no cost to the customer. Just pay the cost to ship the gun to us, and we will repair your gun." That isn't at no cost to me. The statements should read something like "We won't charge you for the parts/labor to repair your gun, but the cost of shipping it to us is your responsibility."

SCCY is very responsive and I've been impressed so far with any contact I've had with them...especially when they said they would GIVE me replacement parts, rather than charge for them. The cost of shipping the gun to them, though, isn't a minor factor, and one they should reconsider, IMO. If the chance of having to return a gun to them was very remote, that would be one thing...but they do seem to have a fairly good chance of needing warranty service, at least once.
GKC
Seasoned Member

Return to Product User Reviews