SCCY CPX-2 Nice (but you get what you pay for)

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

Re: SCCY CPX-2 Nice (but you get what you pay for)

Postby sccytoter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:22 pm

getvicious wrote:
he is in his early 80's

Take your Father In Law to the store to check the handguns out. I thought my SCCY would be good for my wife too and she can shoot it well. BUT, she doesn't have the grip strength to rack the slide so it's useless for her. After trying to operate several pistols at out LGS she found a Firestorm 380 (Bersa with a different name) was best for her with her grip limitations. And it's a great pistol that's also in the $300 range.

There's a good chance someone in their 80's also has reduced grip strength. Have your Father In Law operate various handguns. You may discover the gun you like so much in unusable to him.

Let him shoot yours too. Small plastic pistols are very susceptible to limp wristing and not everyone can shoot one without malfunctions due to improper or a not firm enough grip.

If a person doesn't feel totally comfortable operating a pistol they will not carry it.
Good advice here. Reduced grip strength is a common side effect of getting old, so taking him to the store to find the one that feels good for him and that he can manipulate the workings of the gun is paramount.
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Re: SCCY CPX-2 Nice (but you get what you pay for)

Postby getvicious » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Reduced grip strength is a common side effect of getting old

And there are other things also that I never initially considered.

When my wife told me she couldn't cycle the slide of my SCCY it was a real eye opener. I figured if I could do it anybody could. Untrue. I've since come up against other limitations to work around besides just reduced grip strength.

I have a friend who has a nice Ruger .357 revolver that she's let my wife and I both shoot (the term "sweet" comes to mind). The two of us have no trouble with her revolver but she has now got arthritis in her thumbs and hands. That make it really hard, and painful, for her to shoot her own revolver. She also has a real hard time with hand cycling the slide of even my wife's Firestorm. We all went shopping and she wound up with a Taurus .22 with the tip up barrel. That pistol works great for her and is plenty accurate for close range self-defense use. She keeps her revolver handy for house "work" if needed but won't carry it any longer. Is her .22 the best gun for personal defense? Maybe not, but it's a lot better than shouting harsh language. I know I don't want to get shot, even with "only" a .22 round.

I guess the moral of all this is that there is indeed a gun out there for just about anybody even if they have some physical limitations. It's just a matter of searching.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Previous

Return to Product User Reviews