rounds

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

rounds

Postby CPX-2a » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 pm

before I go buy a bunch of ammo ,what doies the CPX-2 dislike with a passion , so I wont waste any money (my Caracal will shoot anything I throw at it!, yes im aware of the recall , 7000 rounds later Im not turning mine in) , I want stable JHP and Ball for the first 200 rounds , not sure if its rated for +P ? doesnt matter ,I will most likely want Hornady xtp (at first anyway , critical defense always a nod)
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Re: rounds

Postby dlb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:43 pm

There's a long discussion of this in the Ammunition sub forum (with apologies to the admins).
=================
Dave
Volusia Co. FL

current:
CPX-2 Black

previous:
Beretta 92-FS
Walther PPK-S
dlb
Veteran Member

Postby TexasLookout » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm

parkerd wrote:I think I have used almost every brand of ammo sold with only one FTF months ago. All fire, eject, and hit the target about where I want it to. Every brand of ammo will have a dud every once in a while - happens when you manufacture millions of rounds. My philosophy is clean your firearms really really well - that includes ALL parts, not just the barrel. Throw a little oil or lube in there - don't slop it up - you aren't basting a turkey.

Yes about the only ammunition me and SCCY G-2 don't like is steel cased and aluminummmmm cased. Other than that we pretty much shoot-em up. I totally agree not to use a turkey baster when cleaning your fire arm. But I clean my SCCY G-2 to look as new as the day I received it.
TexasLookout
Seasoned Member

Postby CPX-2a » Thu May 02, 2013 3:33 pm

I found out yesterday (just got my gun in) that steel case are a no go, doesnt feed in the magazine for shit , doesnt even chamber a round very well , it could be the cheap ass Tula ammo , but my other 9 shoots it fine , just saying steel case , dont waste your money at least not on SCCY~
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Postby wrearick » Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 am

I have run 100 rounds of TULA through each of my SCCY's and no problems.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby CPX-2a » Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 pm

well thats fine and dandy not knocking tula or steel case I will use everyone of them in my Caracal , hell my glock doesnt like all the 40 I give it but thats the nature of the beast!
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Postby getvicious » Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 pm

When I first got my original CPX-1 I called SCCY to ask about ammo they might recommend to use and avoid. They told me they recommend against steel case ammo and Remington. They had seen issues with Remington having hard primers and not always firing on the first trigger pull. The light strike issue seems to be corrected in the Gen 2 pistols. They recommended against using steel case ammo from a potential for increased wear.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby CPX-2a » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 am

well Im not so sure the steel case altogether the problem , I shot some steel match Hornadys and it rocked , it could be just that tula is an inferior brand!
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Postby TexasLookout » Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 am

I've used many different brands of Ammunition (brass cased/rounded nose) type for range time.

However years back I purchased a couple boxes of steel cased and shot it in another make of firearm. I was concerned on the ejection of this type of ammunition. The steel cased did fire but upon examination of the spent casings they were all deformed. So I figured they must be dragging in the barrel after firing and dragging and bumping the ejection port areas also. So its just me and I decided not to purchase anymore steel cased and or poly coated ammunition.

Tula does contract out a Brass Cased Ammunition and it does work just great for target practice, along with the many Brand Names of 9mm Brass Cased Ammunition in Our SCCY G-2.

We do keep in all our Magazines at all times, Defense Ammunition. We have fired a few of these types of rounds in our SCCY G-2 just to get the recoil feel and operation of Defense Ammunition. With many New Types of Defense Ammunition being developed and becoming available to Consumers there is a choice for Defense. Our Winter Defense Ammunition is Different from our Summer Ammunition as we do not want over penetration which could possibly wound innocent bystanders.

Not being a perfect shot or for that matter just a average shot its really important to me to set my own standards for shooting and constantly improve them.
TexasLookout
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:57 pm

getvicious wrote:When I first got my original CPX-1 I called SCCY to ask about ammo they might recommend to use and avoid. They told me they recommend against steel case ammo and Remington. They had seen issues with Remington having hard primers and not always firing on the first trigger pull. The light strike issue seems to be corrected in the Gen 2 pistols. They recommended against using steel case ammo from a potential for increased wear.

I kinda figure one of the main advantages of a double action is the ability to hit a primer again, without extra steps. Of course, they're recommending against steel cased ammo to prevent wear... on a gun that they don't recommend you shoot much. "It's not a 'range gun'." :mrgreen:
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby toymachine » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Shit, son, hearsay upon hearsay. Somebody else on this board claimed that SCCY said it's not a range gun, meaning it isn't intended to be shot much. Don't remember who or where. Doesn't really matter to me anyway, steel case 9mm isn't real common around here.
toymachine
Seasoned Member

Postby arcus10mm » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:07 pm

page 15--the way they explain plus P use is dumb ---my two cents
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby arcus10mm » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 pm

5000-6000 std 9mm is what i was expecting----has any one got more than that????
arcus10mm
Veteran Member

Postby sccytoter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:06 am

arcus10mm wrote:5000-6000 std 9mm is what i was expecting----has any one got more than that????

If mine lasted 5-6,000 rounds, without a trip back to SCCY for some R&R, I would be happy. :wink:
Semper Fi Mac!
sccytoter
Veteran Member

Postby strider43 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:19 am

parkerd wrote:My philosophy is clean your firearms really really well - that includes ALL parts, not just the barrel. Throw a little oil or lube in there - don't slop it up - you aren't basting a turkey.

I couldn't agree more especially with these SCCY pistols. Keep the pistol clean and it will increase the odds of proper operation.
strider43
Forum Regular

Return to Product User Reviews