CPX-2 First review

User Reviews of Shooting Products and Accessories. New holster, mag, gun lubricant, etc... tell us about it!
End User reviews only.

CPX-2 First review

Postby CPX-2a » Thu May 02, 2013 11:19 am

Ok I recieved my CPX-2 yesterday , first glance looked very nice , well made and I must say it doesnt look as "cheap" as Keltec , the edges have all been filed down ,pretty clean , it comes with 2 magazines (metal) from the factory a big plus , the magazines ,however are rather cheaply made though , the follower doesnt really sit right and the extra thumb is wobbly ,but for the price what can I say and if you take the magazine apart you can make it fit better . Anyway the feel of the gun itself is solid , theres no wobble when you shake it,its tight , thats what I like , doesnt mean it fires any better though , my Series 80 1911 has wobbled since I bought it and that was 21,000 + rounds ago!
The CPX though feels good and I have med/ big hands , no problem concealing it ,even with 10 rounds ,its not that heavy !!
In my pocket , a holster would be better but that will wait. One thing I noticed and some people talk about ammo , it doesnt like TULA steal cased at all , the magazine wont even feed them properly , didnt even get a round off , my Caracal on the other hand eats anything I throw at it, so the Tula wont be wasted (5000+ rounds through the Caracal , there recall is bs) . The CPX will fire if the magazine isnt in the well, just a reminder!!! I then loaded Herters flawless , !I shot 100 rounds the gun shoots well , nothing past 25 yards , If I had to I guess I could but by that time I would have retrieved my .45 !

All in all I give CPX-2 a B+ , FOR THE PRICE YOU CANT BEAT IT!!!and it is fun to shoot , all small guns have a recoil problem but the recoil isnt that bad, maybe the weird looking grip with the holes shields the recoil I dont know, but 9's dont have much recoil anyway , a 40 is recoil monster!
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Re: CPX-2 First review

Postby wrearick » Thu May 02, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the report
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby CPX-2a » Thu May 02, 2013 3:22 pm

the only real negative i have is the breakdown , its simple enough , although , putting it back together is little tricky because according to the directions the pin snaps back into place and trust me it wont snap very often therefore the slide will not work it literally has to "snap" for the slide to shut
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Postby getvicious » Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Hmmm.... I've never had any issue putting my CPX-1 back together (either my original one or my Gen 2). I push the Disassembly Pin in till it stops. I've never had the Slide not work. I honestly can't tell you if it "snaps" in each time - it just goes in till it stops.

If you have issues with the Slide not working after you reassemble the pistol and the Disassembly Pin doesn't seat all the time, you might think about calling SCCY to ask for a new one.

I see comments about the Magazines not being very good from time to time. I don't understand those comments. Maybe it depends on what you're used to. We have my CPX-1, JA-22, JA-380, Savage 1915 and my wife's FireStorm 380. The SCCY Magazines I have all fit well in the pistol, are solidly made and their pieces (Floor Plates, etc.) fit in them well. They all work. I think they are as good as the FireStorm OEM Magazine (Bersa) that came with my wife's pistol. The poorest quality Magazines have to be the ones for my JA pistols. They all feel cheap but they all work too. If I had to pick the best Magazine I would have to go with the Savage 1915 OEM Magazine. It's 98 years old and still works fine.

I have simple criteria for a good or bad Magazine. Does it work? Yes - Good. No - Bad. All ours are Good.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby wrearick » Fri May 03, 2013 9:04 am

Biggest issue I have on reassembly is making sure the barrel is in the correct position. It is possible to put the pin in and it pass in front of the kidney shaped hole on the barrel. The slide will definately not shut and may even jam. I look to make sure I see the hole in the barrel lined up with the hole in the frame before I insert the pin and it works everytime.
wrearick
Veteran Member

Postby mf1 » Fri May 03, 2013 11:13 am

I absolutly love my cpx-2. The only thing i can even remotely complain about is the back serrations on the slide seem to be a little sharp on my hand. Im sure they will wear down a bit over time. Has this bothered anybody else? Is there something i can do to make it more comfortable or do i just need to man up and deal with it? I did have a one time issue reassembling it but it was because i had the barrel in the wrong position.
mf1

Postby getvicious » Fri May 03, 2013 11:56 am

mf1 wrote:I absolutly love my cpx-2. The only thing i can even remotely complain about is the back serrations on the slide seem to be a little sharp on my hand. Im sure they will wear down a bit over time. Has this bothered anybody else? Is there something i can do to make it more comfortable or do i just need to man up and deal with it? I did have a one time issue reassembling it but it was because i had the barrel in the wrong position.

I have that issue on my Gen 2 CPX-1 also. I have actually cut the pad of my thumb while cleaning the pistol although I'm way too manly to admit that to anyone - wait...... :oops: :lol:

Seriously, I find it to be an issue when cleaning or disassembling / reassembling the pistol when I'm moving the Slide slowly or holding it partly open by hand (that's when I cut my thumb). It's not been an issue when actually using the pistol.
It's not the blast that kills you - It's the tumble to the bottom of the 800 foot crater.....
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby CPX-2a » Fri May 03, 2013 6:28 pm

dont get me wrong I love this gun , Im trying to be honest in my assessment , hell this was the first time ,maybe that will change given more time shooting it , I hear the "Office" is more than hap[py to help so if becomes an issue I will call , as far as the mags go maybe Im just used to high end 1911 mags , but these are fine ,im not trying to knock them its a sweet deal to have 2 mags these days!
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Postby mf1 » Sat May 04, 2013 5:04 pm

I do love the fact they give you 2 mags. Mine were sharp around the edges but i used one of my wifes nail files and smoothed down any edges they had. I do have the issue of having to really smack the mag to get it to lock in place. Does anyone have this issue? Is there something i can do to fix this or just deal with it? It really isnt that big of a deal just curious.
mf1

Postby getvicious » Sat May 04, 2013 11:37 pm

mf1 wrote:I do love the fact they give you 2 mags. Mine were sharp around the edges but i used one of my wifes nail files and smoothed down any edges they had. I do have the issue of having to really smack the mag to get it to lock in place. Does anyone have this issue? Is there something i can do to fix this or just deal with it? It really isnt that big of a deal just curious.

There have been several posts about the Flat Magazine Base Plates not fitting well and SCCY sending replacements. It seems some got supplied that were not machined quite right. I saw one post where the person shaved a bit off the Grip tab that extends into the Magazine Base Plate. That worked for him.

As mentioned in the previous post, I'd call SCCY and ask if they'll send you replacements.

I personally like the Flat Base Plates better than the Pinky Extension Base Plates. With either one I wind up curling my pinky finger under the Magazine. My accuracy is the same for either. The Flat Base Plates make the pistol about 1/2 inch shorter than with the extended Base Plates. That 1/2 inch makes a difference to me since I pocket carry mostly and shorter fits into my pocket better.
getvicious@yahoo.com
getvicious
Topic Moderator

Postby CPX-2a » Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 am

all in all its nice lil gun , look forward to Obama leaving office so I can get more range time , as it stands I cant just go a blow ammo , ya never know when its coming back !
Caracal C
SCCY CPX-2
Glock 22
Colt 1911 Government
CPX-2a

Postby sccyfree » Sun May 19, 2013 10:30 am

parkerd wrote:Disagree on the magazines - Not the highest quality ever made, but certainly better or at least equal to Taurus, Keltec, Ruger, and a few others. Even the M&P mags aren't that superb.

Oh man, I cannot lump KelTec and Taurus with Ruger. Hands down Ruger quality shames the other two.
Just got a SCCY yesterday will shoot tomorrow. The first things I do include breaking down the mags
for a quick clean and light lube. I oil the springs as here in Houston everything tends to rust. My first impression
is that the SCCY mags are of extreme low quality. The metal is poorly welded. The followers are loose, one even
sits crooked all the time. Tried reversing the springs to change the tension pressure points. No change.
They are not in the same league even with KelTec. That said I loaded both and cycled them manually.
In spite of the loose followers they functioned fine. Which, I suppose is the whole point.
Before May 19, 2013 I had never noticed SCCY. Glad I waited, Glad I bought one.
sccyfree

Postby dlb » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Just took my slide off for the 1st time

that was easy...

Getting the pin back in just right was a pain - took about 5 tries before the slide would return home without catching on the corner of the flat part of the pin head

I don't think I ever really felt or heard any click as it went back in, so I'm kinda perplexed.

Looks like one person above mentioned a possibly similar issue - it definitely was going back through the kidney-hole properly, but its almost like it was leaving the smallest fraction of an inch un-seated.

Opinions?

EDIT:
Ok - i just found this thread
http://www.sccyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14164&p=26151&hilit=assembly+pin#p26151

Maybe I'll look at that one more carefully in the morning without tired eyes.
=================
Dave
Volusia Co. FL

current:
CPX-2 Black

previous:
Beretta 92-FS
Walther PPK-S
dlb
Veteran Member

Postby wknight40 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:55 am

Had a similar issue with mine. It seemed like each time I removed and reinstalled the slide and pin the better the fit got. I also found that it was better to release the slide with the catch than riding the slide forward. I as mentioned and I feel the same way the slide would catch just barely on the pin. As it was used it slowly wore either the pin or the slide just enough so that now I can ride the slide forward and it does not catch at all. Even if I try and make it catch it does not. This is my first semi-auto pistol so I'm relatively new to this. Good pistol so far and as I get better with it I'm sure it will be come a great pistol.
wknight40
Veteran Member

Postby madmax » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 am

getvicious wrote:
mf1 wrote:I absolutly love my cpx-2. The only thing i can even remotely complain about is the back serrations on the slide seem to be a little sharp on my hand. Im sure they will wear down a bit over time. Has this bothered anybody else? Is there something i can do to make it more comfortable or do i just need to man up and deal with it? I did have a one time issue reassembling it but it was because i had the barrel in the wrong position.

I have that issue on my Gen 2 CPX-1 also. I have actually cut the pad of my thumb while cleaning the pistol although I'm way too manly to admit that to anyone - wait...... :oops: :lol:

Seriously, I find it to be an issue when cleaning or disassembling / reassembling the pistol when I'm moving the Slide slowly or holding it partly open by hand (that's when I cut my thumb). It's not been an issue when actually using the pistol.

Get yourself a set of traction grips and put on it not only does it cover the rear portion of the grip it provides a little more cusion.
Max
USCG Ret.
madmax
Veteran Member

Return to Product User Reviews